Latest Roadmap Update - March 2020

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Coming back to you on the system specs I’m running:
    Intel i5 3.10ghz
    4g ram
    GTX 750ti
    Windows 10 on SSD

So it ain’t great below recommended ram but matches recommended specs everywhere else. You mentioned running 60 cars at Le Mans, I know you’ve got at gtx1070 but 60 cars on max settings! Really!
    We are talking the official dlc S397 Le Mans track right? And you mention endurance cars, I’m talking strictly S397 cars here. I can run 60 cars at Virtua LM’s version of Le Mans with rain no problems! High 50’s FPS. But that’s not what I’m talking about

2. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Ok so your just wasting my time. Winky face...

lagg likes this.
  3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Wow! Doesn’t look like there’s much point in upgrading then! If that’s happening to you on your specs then there we are, case closed! It needs sorting out, and I wish they would cause in the few times I’ve been able to have a race with a decent amount of cars and changing weather (due to just the right settings and car track combo) it’s been absolutely amazing feeling the grip change and watching it to. I really do hope they can sort this

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

In all seriousness, have you seen an up to date and official list of recommended specs? The ones on steam are years old, at least last time I checked.

8GB ram and a perhaps 6GB video card should be a requirement for current content. Not to say that better hardware doesn't suffer a performance hit, but running out of ram will kill any game.

Paul McC likes this.
  5. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Damn good point, my thoughts exactly!

6. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Gunna go back to my point about performance differences between S397’s own cars. Seriously wtf happened with the McLaren Senna GTR, total waste of money for me as performance FPS wise with this car is terrible! Try a 30 car field of them at S397 Le Mans and watch the game grind to a snails pace compared to say even the GT3,s at the same track

7. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Keep in mind that's at 4K maxed out though. I think that at 1440p I would probably be able to sustain 60 fps.

Paul McC likes this.
  8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Also a damn good point, with my power supply I can go up to a gtx1070ti or 1660, Would have like a 1080ti but would need new power supply aswell and then there’s another 4 gigs or ram to buy. Unfortunately I’m self employed and the virus killed my work so I’m stuck with what I got for now

9. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

As said, I didn't say max settings but high settings and explained that I would propably lower the amount of official cars in comparison. And yes, there were allmost 60 cars on track. I actually prefere smooth framrates thatswhy I don't run max graphic settings or ultra PP settings. That was with an i5 4590 btw.

That said, I got to say that your system isn't up to snuff anymore, as sad as it sounds. But this is the hard truth. Before the 1070 I ran a gtx770 and even that GPU was on it's limit because it would be running out of vram. If you check GPU benchmarks you will notice, that the 770 wipes the floor with what you are running.
    https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare/GeForce-GTX-770-vs-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti/2531vs2815

I agree with you, that they should update the minimum and recommended specs, but it won't actually solve your issue. Some people like to call rF2 old, because it's in development since over ten years now, but at the end of the day it is high end consumer simulation software from 2020. And if you take a look what streamers especialy with triple screens or VR are running, you get a rough idea that even my system isn't really on the high end range. High settings with your hardware are simply too optimistic. I would go even as far as giving you the advice to run minimum to medium settings and have a test at Sebring/Le Mans/Nords or Monaco and check if you can keep stable 60 FPS in the night with rain, because I highly doubt it. Then start adding AI cars and play with the amoun the of visible vehicles until you find a comfortable performance. Or simply use lighter tracks like the VLM stuff. The foremendtioned official tracks are all top of the line stuff and require beefy hardware.

Emery, Paul McC and pkelly like this.
  10. stonec

stonec Registered

There is a logical reason behind all of this. Your video card comes equipped with onboard RAM (VRAM), which is much faster than system RAM. Now unfortunately your GTX 750 Ti is only equipped with 2 GB VRAM, which dare I say is outdated in 2020. What happens when rF2 runs out of VRAM is it starts to use system RAM instead, which explains well the 50% drop in performance you see.

Now if you were to buy a GTX 1080, you would actually no longer see those 50% performance drops because all content would easily fit inside 8 GB VRAM. Having said that, I agree rF2 should do a better job of auto-detecting settings and informing users when running out of video RAM.

Paul McC and pkelly like this.
  11. djfil007

djfil007 Registered

Looking forward to seeing more UI updates and modes. Is there any chance we'll see an in-game season mode? Mostly due to my limited availability, when I play rFactor2 it is pretty much solely for single player content I enjoy (KartSim, Formula E and few others). I'd really love it if (without use of external mod) I could create a custom championship and run it out against the AI.

atomed and R.Noctua like this.
  12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

You can kinda do this using the MAS utilitywhich can be opened from the games launcher, beneath the the button for single player there is a DEV MODE button and below that is a button with the number 2 inside a square, thats your mas utility, press that and it brings up a the mas utility window, on the tool bar of that window is a little box/package symbol, click that and wait, a little window will open with 4 buttons, click the top one that reads 'Create New Mod Package' and wait, another window will open called 'Create Package' in there under Mod name type a name for your championship lets call that for example 'Radical Champ' ignore the other buttons and click next. Now it will bring up a window with all your tracks, select which ones you want (to select multipe tracks hold down Ctrl on every track you click) you may have a couple of versions of the same track i.e. version 1 & version 1.2 so make sure you just select the latest version. Click next and it will give you your cars so in here you can click say Radical (again latest version), click next and go to next window called 'add other components', you can ignore this one and just click done at the bottom. This then takes you to another 'Create Mod Package' window where you'll see a list of cars and tracks you selected with check box'es next to them (some of these box'es will be unchecked, ignore all of this and just click 'Package' at the bottom, then click Install, a box should come up telling you its installed, ok that and finally click 'Done' at the bottom of the 'Create Mod Package' window (don't forget this last bit).
    Now you can go into your game and under 'series' You can select 'Race Events@ (you don't want 'All Tracks & Vehicles' and in there you should see your 'Radical Champ' series, select that and press accept. Now go race, you can even set the strength and aggression of the A.I. for each track in there using the 'Custom A.I. Parameters tick box under the track picture.
    Now go race and after every race it should give the option to go to the next race which will be whatever the next track you selected is.

This is a pretty rough explaination but i hope it helps!

Atsuki and pkelly like this.
  13. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Yep, i can run 60 cars from the endurance mod on certain tracks at reasonably high settings, i dont use any PP. I know my system needs updating and I know how old RF2 is (i still have my original copy of papyrus nascar racing 2003). I can't update my hardware at mo, aint got no money. But last night i was running 18 GT3 cars at Le Mans (thats the S397 cars and track) on my single screen at low but reasonable settings with 45 to 65 FPS. I can do this because ive never got a lot to spend on a PC, so ive become very good at squeezing alot out of low powered equipment. Note that this was in dry weather. Could'nt do that with rain else i'd be seeing 20 FPS, point is the rain just makes too big a hit, and its not the same with other titles. Now the cars, the Mclaren at the same track would be seeing 11 FPS in the Dry! This is just not right, theres a guy on here says he gets the same problem with a 1080ti! Yes hes running at far greater res, with triple screens, but you see you get the same problem when you scale things up, there is optimisation needed for rain, its not that big a graphical effect, other sims can do it. Yes RF2 is old, but some content is new, I can think of two brand new sims that have rain, and you can use it without a massive performance hit, higher settings, and res on my old machine, thats my point.

14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Yep I understand all that, but check out bobbies post, he's runinng a 1080ti and states that he gets the same massive FPS drop in the rain, in his case everything is scaled up because he's running 3 screens as appose to my 1, much higher Graphics setting and much higher res, but it proves the point that there is definately a problem with the rain feature no matter what hardware you use it does'nt change the fat that the game runs at a v different speed with this feature being used than it does without, yeah i could run a 1080ti on my single screen and lock the FPS to say 60 and i would'nt not the drop cause the game would be running 100's of FPS in the first place but it would still drop, so if i upgraded to what bobbies got in future id start seeing it all over again. There is a problem with the rain, always has been, yes they've improved it but its still a big issue. Im just hoping these graphics updates will not come at the cost of an even bigger performance problem, if it makes things better then I'll do a little dance!

15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Im also very much looking forward to the new U.I. one of my main gripes with the current one is driver labels, I don't wanna be taking my eyes off the car infront to look up 100's of feet into the sky to see who the cars driver is.

16. Paulo Honorato

Paulo Honorato Registered

Does anyone know when the new layouts will be available

17. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Yes, just none of us.

18. atomed

atomed Member

I agree with you, offline championships in the game interface would be great. In the meantime you can try this one.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index....offline-and-league-championship-manager.48117

19. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Here’s another reason I love this sim but it also wants to make me tear my own teeth out!

Just had the most amazing time doing a 24 lap race around Nurburgring GP, 18 McLaren 650s GT3’s, enjoyed setting up car in practice and getting rid of some of the understeer, getting top times on the leaderboard, great! Go to Quali and belt it round till the end and find I’m way down the leaderboard then realise, damn! A.i. Must have switched to soft tires and I didn’t, silly me! Ho hum, we’ll all be on mediums for the race. Go to race starting from 10th, have an amazing 24 laps and come in 1st, an amazing way to spend an hour! A.I. Fighting me all the way, track looking great, real battle with a couple I couldn’t shake for a few laps, just fantastic! God this sim is so damn good when it’s working!
    Leave track, save replay and think to my self, that was so good, I gotta do it again, but best up the game, so notch up the A.i. by 5% and hit race!

Now, that last race was flowing at between 40 to 60 FPS, 65 sometimes (which I’ve got it capped at). All good!

Track loads for second go, nothing changed apart from A.I. Strength...... WTF is this? 20 FPS all of a sudden, whilst sitting in the garage! 18 on track, must be a glitch, restart session, same thing! Only way to cure is close the whole thing down, restart the entire game, reload track, and we all know how long loading times are, I just wanted to do the same damn race again! WTF!
    It’s this sort of shit that happens with this program all the bloody time, not with any other sim!

I tell you this sim is like being Sam Malone and actually going through with the marriage to Diane Chambers in Cheers!

And that folks, is what really grinds my gears!

Hell of an hour whilst it was working though... oh it’s back to normal again, back to racing!

pkelly and LokiD like this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I doubt if most of our Euro and southern hemisphere users got the CHEERS reference. Time to buy stock in an SSD factory.