Porsche Cup AI

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by tpw, Sep 29, 2019.

1. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

The issue is still present as described in the first post and is more or less pronounced depending on track. the AI has godly grip / TC on corner exit.

2. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

With stock or 'bad' setup that might be feeling. Currently I'm starting new tracks with 96% AI then learning track and adjusting my setup will bring me on races with 100%(+) AI.
    Corner grips of AI, well I'm outperforming them on entry, mid and out sections of corner, but I remember how they outperformed my car when I didn't have good setup, or didn't know how to take corner.
    Under 96% AI goes way too slowly on corners, 96%+ and racing starts to be fluent flow around tracks.

Cup is hard to learn, even harder to master, I'm on my way to learn it better every day, AI sppeds will feel outrageous when learning this car, it will blow your(my) mind after actually driving this on true limits.

3. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Yup I found that around 95% is the sweet spot although I still have trouble keeping up with the default setup.
    Any tips for the setup ? Especially for making the car more stable in tight corners. In its default setup, it you spin a bit in a corner, it is often game over in term of recovering the car.

4. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

There is no simple solution, everything is releated to other settings, you just have to listen car and tune by it.
    Personally would start from A) good alignement (camber&toe) and rake&height&arb, then B) enough brake power and good bias on brakes, then pressures and C) aero as last(remeber radiator tape and brake ducts effects heavily also on aero), but when you go that path, sometimes (often) you must take few steps back and do things again due later change made differnce on earlier. LSD on "new" is kinda must, one below might be good sometimes, but can make car bit too lively.
    Logically movement on body by A, and then better braking and acceleration by B, then finetuning C.

As you see above, can't help, just mumbling lot of normal ***t.
    Only peak what I can give is my starting point, look that other Cup thread, there's lot of ideas, including my starting point setup.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/porsche-gt3-cup.64160/

bobbie424242 and memoNo1 like this.
  5. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Check out my post on the above mentioned thread, it’s on page 13, about setting up the car more like the GT3 R car. Also if you raise the brake pressure you can brake just as immediately as A.I.

6. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I would post you a setup here but don’t know if that’s possible

7. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

I think the printscreen will be enough. :)

Paul McC likes this.
  8. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

GRAB_000.JPG GRAB_001.JPG GRAB_002.JPG GRAB_003.JPG
    Sorry for late reply mate, had totally forgotten about this thread. Heres the shots!

Levelup1, atomed, OdeFinn and 4 others like this.
  9. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

10. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

No probs mate, don't expect it to feel like a different car but the changes are pretty noticeable, let me know what you think after a good test session please!

R.Noctua likes this.
  11. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

I finally tried your setup and what a difference !

For the first time I could keep up with the AI at 100% on VIR in an epic 8 laps race.
    And could for the first time be consistent lap after lap, running in the 1:51's, exactly in the ballpark of AI.
    Consistency was a huge problem for me with the default setup as the car was so unstable and
    becoming ever more so after a few laps. Now it is massively more stable and does not easily oversteer in sharper turns.
    It also brakes much more reliably in term of car stability.
    Finally, the setup does not modify drastically the characteristics of this car: it remains challenging to drive
    fast, requiring 100% of your attention.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

bobbie mate im am so happy you are enjoying it, these cars are a real pleasure when you get to grips with them, the reason for the better stability when braking is mainly due to the camber, you've now got a much bigger contact patch and grip should'nt get worse so quickly cause you're not wearing the hell out of the inside of the tire due to massive camber angles. There's more to it than that, but im well chuffed you like it!

bobbie424242 likes this.
  13. nounoubleu

nounoubleu Registered

It's really funny this setup works because it's totally out of Porsche Cup+ Michelin N2 DNA (N2 carcass is very special and needs to be "forced" to work well).
    Real cars usually run with around 5° camber, sometimes even more at front. With less than 3°, the car is almost undriveable.
    To gain some stability on braking (and more equilibrate front tires temp) and try to get rid of this stupid oversteering, I increased massively toe out at front combined with lower toe in at rear.
    Then, to balance understeering occured by this toe-out, front bar is soften almost at max and raised rear height
    It's not far from set up of real cars.
    However I'm not sure it's the most efficient on this sim version :)
    I will test yours.

Paul McC and bobbie424242 like this.
  14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Well we don't know how they setup the suspension so their camaber underload may actually flatten out nicely, but i may be using different anti roll and spring setting which change how much camber is underload

15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Let me know how you get on with it

16. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

Paul McC and atomed like this.
  17. atomed

atomed Member

Thanks a lot for the setup, It works great. Is it possible to set this particular setup as the default one for the car?

18. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Yes indeed it is a much more under steering setup, really chuffed you were able to tweak it to your liking!

R.Noctua likes this.
  19. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

No probs glad you like it! What you can so is set it up, save it as whatever you wanna call it, and then click ‘assign’, so it’s then the default setup every time you load that track and car. Also when you take the car to a different track you can scroll through the track folders in setup to track you were last at, click on that track folder, the saved setup will appear, load it, assign it, and then it’s the default setup for track you’re now at. Repeat process at every track you take the car to. Nice and easy! This is one of the features about Rfactor that I love!

atomed likes this.
  20. atomed

atomed Member

Yeah, that's what I used to do with the old UI, but it's not possible to browse through the folders in the new one, I guess I'll have to make a copy in the track folder I'm planning to run.
    By the way, you guys have to try the GT3 Cup at this new Lakeside track that was released yesterday in the workshop. It's insanely fun with this car and setup.