Rfactor2 DX9 to DX11 Issue_Build 1117

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Matt Davis, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Matt Davis

Matt Davis Registered

After some much needed help please...

After recent install I have found my setup will run perfectly with using a previous version of rFactor, the DX9 Beta file - Build 1109. When clicking on the 'Settings' tab in launcher my Video Setting read the attached screenshot... again, this works perfectly. I notice these setting get pulled from folder rFactor 2\UserData\Config.ini. Within these settings I notice the Parallels Display adapter gets pulled through.

If I update rFactor to the latest software - Build 1117 - using OPT OUT OF ALL BETA and running DX11 the game doesn’t run past the Launcher menu. I notice all my Video setup has changed and pulls info from rFactor 2\UserData\Config_DX11.ini. It's here I notice my GPU is no longer being located, therefore the reason the DX11 install doesn’t work, or so I am to believe.

As mentioned, the issue from all this is that using DX11 doesn’t allow me to now launch the game past the launcher screen, I imagine it’s an issue with the change of video settings. Using DX9 is fine but will not allow me access to Multiplayer as I do not have up to date software. This is something I really want to utilise in the game, any help would be appreciated!

Note: I run rFactor through Parellels 15 on a iMac.... again, game works great in DX9 beta

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  2. Woodee

Woodee Registered

noticed a file called "Config_DX11.ini"?

3. Matt Davis

Matt Davis Registered

Yeah I noticed that file, deleted that file, but once the game launches it doesn’t pull through the Config.ini file... it instead recreates the Config_DX11.ini file...

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

And that is correct, because rfactor 2 uses dx11.
    You can see it when you open the config.
    On the very bottom of the window is the path to the file, in that the config gets stored.
    You can see it on your own screenshot of the opening post.

5. Matt Davis

Matt Davis Registered

Yeah I understand that, the issue is that DX9 works with my setup using a beta version, when updating to DX11 I cannot load past the launcher screen... I was trying to find a work around for this. Using DX9 is ok for me to play but when you want to connect to a online server you can't... you need to be on DX11 for this. I'm trying to look for a solution using DX11...

6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

What you could try, is to rename the whole userdata folder before you start the game.
    Then start the game and it creates a new folder with all files.
    Run the config and see if that helps to start rfactor 2.

7. Matt Davis

Matt Davis Registered

Just tried this, the same issue occurs... I believe it's down to how it see my video driver. Doing what you said it doesnt see to pull this through... if you look on my Video Settings the video driver is v0.0.0000.0000 therefore not seeing it?!

I have made sure my graphics card is compatible with DX11 and it is: AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4GB

Attached Files:

8. Bernd

Bernd Registered

No, showing the wrong driver version is a long existing bug, but it normally does not avoid the game to start.
    Do you have more options in the dropdown, where the parallel display adapter is shown?
    I have no experience with parallels 15.
    Do you have other dx11 games that work properly?

9. Matt Davis

Matt Davis Registered

Attached... I did notice when you leave it as Auto it does pull through a Video Driver Number... but if this has been known to be a bug, can't imagine this would make a difference. Parallels 15 has the feature of using 'Gaming Mode' for things such as this

Attached Files:

10. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Are there any informations about the specifications of the display adapter?
    What you also can try is this:
    When you are on the screen where you can click the config, there is a white cell under the line where "Single Player", "Multi Player"... are shown.
    Highlight "Single Player", enter trace=3 into that cell and then start the game.
    Then check if there is a trace file in the folder ..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\Log.
    If yes, upload that trace file here.

11. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Thanks for the info, as said, i have no experience with parallels 15. ;)

@Matt Davis So sorry, i'm out here then.

Mangoletsi likes this.
  12. Matt Davis

Matt Davis Registered

Trace file....

Attached Files:

13. Matt Davis

Matt Davis Registered

Oh really, ok... they did claim DX11 was supported in all their documentation...

See below link aswell: https://machow2.com/parallels-15-review/

14. Bernd

Bernd Registered

That trace ends with the same entries, related to the shaders, that i have seen from another user too.
    Maybe it really is a problem with the parallels display adapter, as @Mangoletsi has said.
    Try to find that out. ;)

EDIT Or install another dx11 game to test if that works.

Mangoletsi likes this.
  15. Matt Davis

Matt Davis Registered

Thanks for your help @Bernd I will try another game and see if it is indeed a Parallels adapter issue...

16. Matt Davis

Matt Davis Registered

@Bernd @Mangoletsi

I've download a free game - World of Tanks Blitz - the system requirements require the following and works great on my machine.

Processor - 2GHz
    Memory - 2GB
    Graphics - DirectX11 Compliant Video Card with 25MB RAM
    Storage - 3GB

I realise this isn't as taxing as rFactor 2 but shows it's not a DirectX 11 issue?

If the Trace file shows an issue with the Shaders, is there a test to prove this isn't causing the problem?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2020
  17. Bernd

Bernd Registered

There is no exact error message, with that a normal user can eventually find out what the problem is.
    But the shader entries are the last entries in the trace, so i would say the problem is related to the grafics.
    I would suggest to contact the s397 support directly.
    And maybe it's also a good idea to try it in their discord channel.
    I don't use discord, but it seems as if you can get fast infos, directly from the devs, there.

Matt Davis likes this.
  18. Bernd

Bernd Registered

19. Matt Davis

Matt Davis Registered

@Bernd I'll have a look, thanks! Also registered on Discord so will see how that goes... thanks for your help so far! I'll update this post with any progress. I know most don't use Macs, but for the few that do, hopefull this may help.

Bernd likes this.
  20. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Yes, that's always a good idea, especially when things got solved. ;)