Converted RF mod - Tires ballooning in size

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Brent, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Brent

Brent Registered

I've converted a mod and I have used Chris's regapg's tools for resizing tires. I have double and tripled checked the tire/wheel sizes in the tbc and tgm to make sure they match, and match the mesh dimensions. I have even tried resizing the diameter to make them smaller and no matter what I do the tires balloon to a size larger in RF2 to the point they interfere with the fender wells (orange). AI vehicles using the tbc appear fine (beige). In the garage they appear fine on my car, when on go on track, they balloon. Anyone know what the issue could be?

Attached Files:

2. dylbie

dylbie Registered

That's definitely a mismatch of the tyre size multiplier in the TGM. Try reducing it.

The reason they balloon is that until you actually click Race the tyres used are the TBC ones. As soon as you're on track the TGM is loaded. You can also test this effect by pressing the I key (or A key) in game which hands control to the AI. Then you'll see the tyres reduce in size again when the TBC is loaded for them.

Another thing to note if you're using dev mode, for me whenever I was changing stuff in the TBC/TGM files, you need to exit the game and then load it up again. I probably wasted an evening pulling my hair out until I figured that out. It seems you can edit HDV and the others whilst devmode is in the main menu, but not the tyres.

Arnaud Plume likes this.
  3. Brent

Brent Registered

@dylbie I'm working only in single player, not devmode. I'm aware of the TGM is loaded once I'm on track. I've used Chris redapg's tool to resize the TGM to match the TBC exactly many times over. The numbers are correct in both. Even when I use the tool to check the size it comes back with use these size multipliers (below) which is pretty much spot on and the numbers it says to use in the TBC are exactly what I'm using in the TBC.

What do the first and second value here mean? Is it (dia multiplier, width multiplier) or reverse?

SizeMultiplier=(1.000000, 1.000062)

4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@Brent Can it be that you use files where the values don't match each other?
    It was something similar in this thread, ;)
    Also if you somehow have 2 files with the same file name, but different content in the package, can cause weird results.
    And why don't you use the devmode?
    Here is the size multiplier with explanation from the skip barber tire:
    SizeMultiplier=(1,1) // if necessary, an adjustment to the geometrical width and radius; default is (1,1)

5. Brent

Brent Registered

@dylbie @Bernd I changed the size multiplier to (0.75,0.75) and the tire is just about spot on. Why I need to use the multiplier, and why 75% works is a mystery since I was using actual measurements. I'll try to make some more tweaks.

I use Devmode just enough to get the mod into RF2 and apply most of the shaders etc. But I've been avoiding it. With each RF2 update it seems Devmode gets more and more buggy with random crashes back to the desktop.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  6. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Glad you got it sorted! Did you create the TGM from scratch using those actual measurements? From what I can figure out, the TGM has a physical size which is can be changed visually by the multiplier. The actual radius (determines top speed for example) is controlled by the TBC which is what the AI use. In all honesty its a bit of a mess, and I've only really got my head around it in the last few months after weeks of thinking I'm going crazy trying to get stuff perfect.

With regard to devmode, initially I didn't use it, but I do now, and it's a lot quicker to make simple changes, especially physics changes.

Emery likes this.