Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Don't know if already reported:
    -remaining session time is not clear for me in session menu, have to go into the cockpit, do i miss it?
    -rF2 doesn't start anymore into the old UI here (launcher works fine, game itself not, black screen and CTD/Launcher)

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

From my short test I believe it's up the top. Took me a while to find it.

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Try verifying game files.

4. CrimsonEminence

That's the problem with it. But i didn't find it at the top in qualy for example...just the laps remaining.
    It's the next step on the plan, but i don't bother to waste any time on it right now, i will do it, when i decide to revert to the old UI...right now, the new UI is way more stable, than it was at release and i quite like its capabilities in session observation in some areas (the fullscreen view is a HUGE improvement, for example), so it's fine for me for the moment and i finally see it worthy to have some acclimatization to it.^^

5. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

how to get new UI to work?
    i lounch latest public beta and game never loads up, no interface nothing, only black screen... forever.. til ctr+alt+del to get out

mister dog likes this.
  6. CrimsonEminence

You probably have to wait quite a bit, especially for the first time

7. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

30min is not quite a bit?

8. CrimsonEminence

30 minutes is definetly too much!
    Try opting out of the beta, starting the old launcher, starting the game, then quitting and opting in again and try another start. Also verfication of steam files..the default procedures...
    My rF2 wasn't starting with the old UI anymore, for example...black screen and CTD.

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Click somewhere near the center of your screen, see if that gets things moving. Try to alt-tab and see if some dialog now is waiting for some action. In steam, verify your files.

10. Karlis Vitols

Karlis Vitols Registered

Solved:
    I reinstalled game. it seems there was Reshade who "reshade" game and UI screen, cos new UI layout screen was seen only on top right corner, under yellow fps digits (a very small area where player name appears) everything else was black.
    So now with clean installation and no reshade pack, everything is ok

mister dog likes this.
  11. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Very sorry if I'm repeating things in my comment S397, as I love what you're doing with the new UI. I have opted out at this time simply because you're so hard at work releasing content updates and the package install is so slow in the new UI, that it's easier to opt out. An issue to be looked into for sure, but I'm not complaining because I appreciate the content updates!

My big request would be an option to switch cars in a session, if the game code allows for this. We have a slew of incredible 3rd party and dev content, and sometimes I want to test out different cars at the same circuit with opponents. It would be a lot easier if this feature was available, akin to an online session.

12. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

That is something that should be looked into.
    You can make a "race event" that can be used in both single and multi play and you can go to the next track with one or two clicks in-game also.
    I would be very interested in hearing why in single player you can't change cars in-game like in multi.

buzz hornet and djvicious like this.
  13. João Silva

João Silva Registered

EDIT: FIXED! see the bottom of the chat

I have tried public-beta builds since last year. ive tried like 4 times, in separate months, since its available. Never worked.

today i've uninstalled the game, and installed again on a new location. signed-up for public-beta. doesnt work. i also unsubscribed all the items in steam workshop. no dice.

i've tried everything (except re-installing Windows) to try to get public beta working. can anyone help me? when I run the game, there's a white screen for some seconds, and then comes back to the desktop, and rfactor2 process is closed.

I've followed these instructions to check the logs:

https://docs.studio-397.com/users-guide/diagnosing-issues-using-logging
    Diagnosing issues using logging - Users Guide

The result is attached. i found no major problem, but there may be.

I've also checked Windows Event Viewer. no details on the crash
    upload_2020-3-24_13-10-21.png

I've invested many hours in this. there's no clue about what goes wrong. can anyone help??
    my system:
    single monitor full hd, GTX 960, i7-7700k

thanks

EDIT: now it works! a guy in discord recommended the following:
    1) install the beta,
    2) rename the USERDATA folder to OUSERDATA.
    3) run the integrity check from within steam to check the files.
    4) start rfactor2 and don't touch it until it finishes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  14. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

I've been watching the official racing series recently. I think it's confusing to have the battling cars from right to left in the overlay in the bottom right corner of the screen. Most people write from left to right. The protagonist moves from left to right practically in every side-scrolling game. It's usually the way to show progress. So it'd be better IMO to show the cars go from left to right.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  15. Mauro

Mauro Registered

Please add car specifics/model on overlays, very useful expecially for multiclass events

16. HomieFFM

HomieFFM Registered

As soon as I open the beta menu my PC get's really ''loud''. Maybe it's in relation to the over 3400 FPS, is there any way to limit this for the menu?

17. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

No.
    Go to your player.JSON found here:
    \Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData\player\player.JSON
    Open with Notepad and find:
    "Max Framerate":0,
    "Max Framerate#":"0 to disable (note: positive numbers only, we always use the 'alternate' method now)",
    Edit the first line with a number you want

HomieFFM likes this.
  18. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Perhaps is time to put the option "max framerate" in the UI, and remove the "auto details fps" which a lot of people think is max fps. Is 2020, there is no need to have this option anymore.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
  19. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I fail to see the connection between what year we are in and the purpose of the option.

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@ADSTA I suspect there are some who still use it, indeed.

Question: why not just limit the fps in the UI? This has been a 'thing' since rF2's early days, I think. Why not set a limit so people don't get coil whine and other noises, especially when the UI is basically silent?

Emery and ADSTA like this.