Post your RF2 car skins here.

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by DJCruicky, Sep 5, 2012.

1. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Please, all painters, include the version #s these skins are intended for. And add a warning of complications when S397 updates the base cars.

3. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

That's not needed if you do the virtual ride (RCD in the Settings) way. I move/convert all of my skins to that way.

S397 needs to get this straightened out. One way or the other

atomed likes this.
  4. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

I've released mine as Virtual Rides.
    But yeah, the way this is working (or not working!) for packs released as component updates is a pain.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  5. Highlandwalker

Highlandwalker Registered

I agree, skin packs are a pain ass. I always covert any skin pack into single skins. It eliminates any problems with any updates, the only thing that needs to be changed is probably just one line in the rcd file to make the skins work again. I wish people would stop producing skin packs until S397 sorts this updating problem. It would be nice if people would upload two versions, one as as pack and one of single skins so people can install the version they prefer. This would probably make it a bit easier for people new to RF2, I know skin packs are great when every thing is working ok but when they don't work it's a real pain. My uploaded skins will always be single skins.

atomed likes this.
  6. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Easy enough fix for regular users, but last month we had almost daily complaints of skins not working. For users NOT in the know, just a little more info can be a lifeline.

7. Highlandwalker

The main difference between single skins and packs is that with single skins is that any update to the car will download correctly and the car will still work, it's only the skins that won't work but with skin packs the car update may not install correctly which causes even more problems. That's the main reason I do not use skin packs.

8. Florian Boswell

Florian Boswell Registered

I do know that more and more people over here dislike rfcmp skin packs. It was just the same for me with the old UI but I think the new UI really is a reason to use them.
    I mean I'm doing packages mainly for those just want to race and have the whole UI working. And that's only achievable with such packages.

Nevertheless I'm tired of knocking out backgrounds for the UI icons and so the GTD 2020 pack might become a virtual ride release in case S397 will not release a tool for it soon.

9. Paulus_NL

Paulus_NL Registered

is there a bundle/pack/collection available for specific liveries like:
    - 2018 Le Mans
    - 2019 Le mans
    etc
    ?

10. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

its a shame icons only works with rfcmp's.

11. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

I've never been a fan of the UI being icon based. I was calling this way back when.

I did an Indycar Dallara update that had 180+ skins. No way i was going to do icons for all of those. At least not until there is a tool released to do it. #BringBackTheSpinner

TheGame316 and Florian Boswell like this.
  12. bears

bears Registered

These are just my thoughts and I race pretty much offline all the time so they are biased that way. Plus I like creating real world skins whether in a series pack or singles.

There are pros and cons to all methods which is a lot of the problem the rfcmp way enables the icons in the new ui ( which I haven’t moved to yet) so I understand why people like this it also allows talent files to work which is great for packs that represent a series or race makes it a little more realistic. Also you have full use of the veh file so categories and classes work. But icons are a pain to make even with the tools available (and I can’t understand why the game can’t generate them from just one base icon but that’s another discussion I guess it’s to do with load times) also upgrades break these which is also a pain. Personally I think these are worth the effort for a pack that represents a real series it adds realism and immersion.

virtual rides are good because updates don’t break them but the they have their faults names of drivers can’t be the same so you end up with names in game that don’t look realistic and if you add classes it breaks the talent functionality. My thoughts are these are good for individual skins or fantasy skins and also for those that don’t care so much about drivers names or classes. I release skins this way to allow people to do what they want with them but I won’t spend a whole lot of effort on drivers names and other details it’s not worth it.

there is a hybrid where you create a mas file of the skin and veh file and put it in the most recent folder in the car install, again great for a series and also allows full use of the veh file. But as far as I know talent files don’t work on these and they can get messy if you have too many and you have to move them when the car upgrades.
    I use these a lot personally as they are pretty quick allow you produce field fillers pretty well, I haven’t released any like this and not sure if I will.

no way is perfect unfortunately virtual rides are achieving separation from the updates which is pretty important but they have so many flaws it doesn’t make them compelling at least to me. One thing I know 397 seriously need to look at this and fix it as I think it deters people from sharing skins they make which is bad for the game and the community

again just my thoughts but I also I respect the views of others here some who are way more talented than me in the end it’s a hobby we all enjoy and we all benefit when we share :)

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Bostrom, atomed, Rogger and 3 others like this.
  13. jayarrbee36

jayarrbee36 Registered

Good summary ;)

14. Florian Boswell

Florian Boswell Registered

One more to go...

[​IMG]

15. ThomasJohansen

how do I avoid the top windscreen getting over exposed and avoid the blue text getting transparent.? Its gimp.
    and the the blue writing is on top the white.
    20200401210347_1.jpg

Attached Files:

16. ThomasJohansen

17. Highlandwalker

I use Photoshop but I think Gimp is similar. Open the windows file and set the highlight level to about 220 in the levels option. The windows file highlight usually needs to be set to about 220 in the levels on the Oreca even if it's coloured. Hope you find this of help.

18. bears

bears Registered

That is stunning mate great work

atomed and Florian Boswell like this.
  19. bears

bears Registered

20. ThomasJohansen

didnt work, I have given up on this.