Adding Lights to Tracks

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Sanchit Rathi, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

Hi everyone,
    I like to do a lot of endurance racing, a lot of endurance racing I do is in the night and therefore I like to have some night lighting on the tracks that I race on. I currently have a track which is quite good for use in the day, however it doesnt have any night lighting, and while the headlights are good enough to see at night certain areas like some stands and the pits could do with some night lighting.

Therefore, I have a question, does anyone here know how to add tracks to an already made track? I saw some tutorials on youtube about this but I believe those are obsolete. If anyone here can help me out with it I would be really thankful.

Thanks in advance guys!

2. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

If you just want it to be lit up, then nothing has changed from rfactor 1. Other stuff: https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/tracks/track-art/guidelines-for-track-artists

Corti and Sanchit Rathi like this.
  3. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

Thanks for your reply! I did have a chance to see this post however I am unable to open the GMT in 3DSmax for some reason, and to add the omni glow on the track you should open the GMT in 3DSmax and add the glow there. But unfortunately for some reason 3DSmax isnt opening the GMT Files. Running 3DSmax v19.0.1072.0

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  4. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

You can't open gmt files in 3ds max.

5. Bernd

Bernd Registered

There is a way to import gmt into 3dsmax with a small script, when they are in rf1 format.
    If they are rf2 gmt, i convert them to rf1 format with 3dsimed3.
    But you will have another problem, if my guess, that 3DSmax v19.0.1072.0 means that you use 3dsmax 2019.
    There are only converter tools for 3dsmax 2012 and 2017 available, to use the rf2 shaders and export rf2 gmt directly from 3dsmax.

Corti likes this.
  6. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

Hi thanks for your reply, sorry I did not know that, I am a beginner when it comes to any kind of modding.

Hi I did not know of this script, I do have 2017 Autodesk, I mean thats the one I purchased and have the license for. I do not have 3Dsimed3, Like @Coutie mentioned you cant get gmt files into 3DSmax is there some other file one must convert to before opening in 3DSmax? If yes is the only way to convert in 3Dsimed3 to rf1 gmt and then run a script to open it in 3DSmax or is there any other way to do it as well?

Thanks very much for your replies and help guys, I really appreciate it all. I look forward to hearing from you guys.

7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

There are for sure other ways to get rf2 gmt into 3dsmax, but you have to convert them into a format that 3dsmax can import, directly or by a script.
    You could try it with blender, for that a forum user has published a script that imports rf2 gmt.
    And you should be able to export it from blender in a format like 3ds or fbx, to import that into 3dsmax then.
    (I don't use blender, but i guess that should be possible).
    Check this thread for the blender script.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/rfactor-import-export-scripts-for-blender.48926/

Or download the 3dsimed3, that can be used 4 weeks (i guess) as demo, to convert the rf2 gmt into rf1 gmt.
    And if you need the import script for rf1 gmt into 3dsmax, post here again.

8. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

Hi @Bernd I downloaded 3dsimed3 and I have imported the GMT and saved it as a RF1 GMT, now in order to open it in 3DSmax I need a script correct? Could you please link me to it? for the 2017 version.

Thanks in advance!

9. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Here is a zip file that also contains the needed rf1 shaders.
    Extract the zip file into the 3dsmax 2017 installation folder, before you start 3dsmax.
    The script can be found under "scripts" in 3dsmax.

EDIT removed the download for the zip, because it contained a wrong file.
    The download with the files that work is here now.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
    Sanchit Rathi likes this.
  10. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

Thank you very much for this and thank you very much for your help, Ill go and try to run the gmt in 3dsmax and hopefully have lights

11. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

@Bernd Unofrtunately I added the zip files in the 3dsmax folder and I try to import the gmt and it still says no appropriate import module found. Anything im doing wrong or any solution to this?

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Yes, the script can be used when you click on the "Utilities" button (the one with the hammer symbol).
    If the then opening list don't has the entry "MAXScript", click the button "More..." and search it in the then opening list.
    Click on MAXScript and then select "GMT2 Importer" in the MAXScript dropdown.
    Then the rollout appears, with that you can import the gmt.

13. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

@Bernd Thanks a lot for that I can finally use it to import stuff, However when importing im getting an error>"type error: Call needs function or class,got: undefined"

14. Bernd

Bernd Registered

ah, i maybe have uploaded an outdated script file.
    Try this one.
    Put it into the folder ..\Scripts\Startup and overwrite the old one.
    But shut down 3dsmax before you replace it.

EDIT removed the download for the zip, because it contained a wrong file.
    The download with the files that work is here now.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2020
  15. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

Thanks for this, I tried with this script as well, however it didnt work either, got the same error unfortunately

16. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

Thanks for this, I tried with this script as well, however it didnt work either, got the same error unfortunately

17. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Hm, unfortunately my licence for max 2017 is expired.
    Maybe i can reactivate it, that i can check it here, but normally it always worked without problems with max 2012 and 2017.

18. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

It sure is peculiar, I did the steps, I got the GMT from the MAS, opened the GMT in 3dsimed converted it to the RF1 GMT, then opened 3dsmax ran the script opened the newly made RF1 GMT and got the error. Dont understand what step is wrong or what couldve gone wrong. But yeah strange indeed

19. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Can you please upload the gmt that you want to import here?
    I will try to import it into 3dsmax 2012 with the same script then.

20. Sanchit Rathi

Sanchit Rathi Registered

Yes right away here are 2 files that you can see

Attached Files: