Tyre dropoff

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by Martin Dyrlund, Mar 28, 2020.

1. Martin Dyrlund

Martin Dyrlund Registered

I have been asked to report this. Tyre dropoff is way too high and I posted a picture of real RSR times on silverstone WEC, vs a stint from VEC Silverstone race in the RSR.

I do not care about laptimes, more about dropoff. Same issue on all the tyre compounds.

Attached Files:

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It appears that in real life any tyre dropoff is compensated for by fuel use (and subsequent lower vehicle weight). What's not clear from that data is whether the real life driver would have suffered more dropoff had they pushed harder in the early laps; and by the same token, what's not clear (from this single run of laps) is whether the virtual driver has pushed too hard early on and that's caused the dropoff.

Laptimes from around lap 8 onward don't vary much for the virtual driver, so if the wear percentage and apparent grip somewhat mirror the abrasion grip dropoff defined in the TGM files this could point to an issue with those values (in comparison to real life). But this sort of thing is never absolute, because you can't tell how hard a driver is pushing.

3. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Well, Martin, the virtual driver, is a championship leading VEC driver (and team mate), I know for a fact that he has enough experience and tests behind these data - if not, then you'd basically be calling every top peer VEC driver, an inexperienced rookie. There's a reason why tyre strategies simply doesn't exist in rF2, except the obvious advantage of gaining positions by pitting earlier than your opponent ahead - if you didn't depend on going the full hour, most oftently.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  4. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Maybe i'm totally wrong, but what i see is that the dark table shows the laps 1-31 and the below table the laps 91-115 (i guess that these numbers are the laps?).
    And the laptimes are different too.
    Are the times from different tracks?
    In our country we would ask now, how you can compare apples with pears?
    At least i don't understand what you compare.

5. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

I see same start lap times in about the 57s ? Possibly the IRL laps are from a later stint of a race ? Both at Silverstone, yes. What's being compared is the tyre dropoff (as explained) You are correct, you may not understand.

6. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Imo its not wear related, but pressure related. Once you exceed ~ 180kpa your times raise very quickly. As the Porsche are all tail heavy they reach that point more quickly and end up generally with higher rear pressures, less grip, having an extra penalty compared to other cars.
    Going with more rear wing than other cars to balance the heavy tail increase pressure even more, due to higher load on the straights at high speed.

7. Matheus Machado

Matheus Machado Registered

Go out with 190kpa and you will see the same unrealistic drop off in performance for the tires. This being michelins it should have worse performance in the laps coming out of pits and then start the normal drop off which would turn out to stable laptimes due to fuel being used. (this considering no tire warmers which is not the case in the real life data presented).

And what you said about rear wing load increasing pressure in the straights makes no sense whatsoever. Pressure in the tires increase due to temperature, and at straights, unless you have a GT with double the power to reach 400+ you will lose temperature due to contact with the asphalt.

Why does every well fundamented bug report have to be bashed...

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not calling anyone anything. The point is there are always unknowns in situations like this, so it's important to keep them in mind. Keep things in context please.

9. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Everything is in an equillibrium. Temperature/ Energy "flows" from higher to lower. In silverstone you have to make up to 10 laps to be in a more or less steady state of your tires (for a lap). After 10 laps, with hot tires, you may see a temperature reduction on the straights in the carcass, after harsh breaking which pushes everything up. After 1 lap you may see a temperature increase in the carcass on the straight with the tire not heated up allready. So what are we talking about?
    In lemans the tire heat up significantly on the straights > 270km/h.
    As pressure is somewhat related to temperature, maybe its temperature. The data in encrypted, we can only speculate. In case it is indeed wear, it would be at least fair as it affects any car the same at least. Quali mode tires... . However I like to do long stints with x2 on fuel and wear, and the lap time increase happens approx after same lap count as with x1 (not as much as you are lighter after say 3 laps). Note: temperature /Pressure increase is not affected by x2 on tires!

10. James Johnson

James Johnson Registered

At best you will get 2 good laps out of a new set of tires and then you will fall off a cliff by a second a lap from your best till the fuel level drops and then you will get back to within 8 tenths. But in the Daytona 24 in real life they were still within a second on 2nd stint tires.

This is the same thing that happens on every track in the VEC.

WiZPER likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I don't drive these particular cars a lot, but I also had this "qualification" tires impression. Not very punishing to push over the limit, but are good just for very modest amount of laps.

12. J7166

J7166 Registered

This is from VEC race stint? I've thought for a while now on GTE cars in rf2 the tire drop off was a bit dramatic. However, I do not think that the rf2 Realroad code aligns with what you see IRL. So it's tough to separate what is tire deg and what is track, for me anyway.

13. Martin Dyrlund

Martin Dyrlund Registered

14. WiZPER

WiZPER Registered

Hardly... we have been mentioning this for years!

doughboy1013 likes this.