Create a mod car

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Kaiser, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Registered

Hi guys, how are you? I've been creating circuits for a while. but I want to give way to cars.

I have a car created by a friend, unpacked.
    And I have another 3D model that I wanted to introduce in factor 2.

I would like to know the steps to follow, they told me that I could substitute the pieces of the model already made for mine, and name them with the same name. But I have my doubts that this works ... because the steering wheel will have another rotation point and other positional chains ...
    Should this be done in 3dsmax? how?
    If you know tutorials or something like that I would appreciate it since in Dev Mode I just don't understand it.

Greetings and thank you!

2. dazzer

dazzer Registered

Do you know how is the operation of RF1 GTR2 Race07 or any simulator based on the ISI engine?

if your answer is yes let me tell you that RF2 is the same.

if your answer is no, you should search the devmode files to know how they work, 3dsimED will be a great tool to import the sample vehicle from the dev mode with the knowledge more or less how each part works and then replicate it in 3dsmax.
    I think there is no exact or complete tutorial but as you go having doubts about files or more specific things, do not hesitate to consult.

good luck :D

3. Kaiser

Kaiser Registered

Thanks for your answer! It is very relieving to know that someone offers your help!
    I'm going to try to ask questions little by little so that so I do not create confusion.
    1 step I want to take is to put the model in the game.
    I have a car in dev mode. A friend sent it to me, I'm thinking of exporting the parts of my model in gmt from 3dsmax, and replacing them with those of my friend's mod. Is this viable? just by replacing the gmt will my model be seen in the game?
    You doubt this step.
    If I replace my friend's wheel with mine, is it in the game would it still act like my friend's? in theory I think that if the only thing I change is a 3d model, the functions and physics are ordered by the .scn or .gen.

Please correct me and explain
    I really appreciate the help of everyone who has offered it to me at 397 studio.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  4. dazzer

dazzer Registered

cars don't use .SCN like tracks.
    the gen file is like the SCN of the tracks, this (GEN) regulates the parts and what they mean each, you can check the .GEN of your friend, or the one that comes with the car by default of RF2.
    If you change the parts be sure to check the texture materials as they can generate errors, also the pivot points must be correct to avoid that the pivot are misplaced.
    As for the physics this is governed by the HDV file

5. Kaiser

Kaiser Registered

I'm setting up the textures. And I'm having second thoughts.
    My friend in the car body, he used bump cube especular map t1.
    Is this correct?
    There is no pdf that says which shader I have to use? it is very different the cars on the tracks ... I am confused

can i use tga textures for rfactor 2? or does it have to be .dds?

What are the channels of these textures? specular . normal?and the cube?

What is a cube texture and what is it for? How can I create a cube texture for my model?

Last edited: Mar 27, 2020
  6. Goanna

Goanna Registered

Check out the car section in link below (in particular, Car Modding Complete Tutorial v1.0)....be aware that some of the info may be outdated but at least it should give you some guidance.
    https://www.studio-397.com/modding-resources/

7. McFlex

McFlex Registered

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Registered

Good morning thank you very much! for the answers.
    My knowledge in this is very small, I have read almost everything and I am a bit lost ... the example of 397studio are not complete and I think they are not with the latest shaders.

Could someone please send me an example with the latest updates please? It would help me a lot to continue as an example. I'm sure I'm asking too much, but I don't understand English and I'm having trouble following translated texts. I beg a 3dsmax file as an example with the latest shaders, I hope I don't ask for too much and thank everyone for your help again!

9. Kaiser

Kaiser Registered

10. dazzer

dazzer Registered

friend open the car that comes by default in RF2 with 3dsimed, check which shader uses each material and you will get an idea of how and what each material is, then replicate the settings in 3dsmax, and to finish the fence playing with the values until get the result you want.

For the bodywork the IBL system is being used, but I recommend that you first familiarize yourself with the basic materials, as I mentioned earlier, check the car that comes in RF2, that will help you to know the materials.

Kaiser likes this.
  11. Kaiser

Kaiser Registered

Hi guys, I have a problem with the rear axle, if I see the car in the showroom, it does not have any fault, but when I go out on track the rear axle is as if it were longer than normal. wheels stick out of place. the separation between rear wheels goes from being 1.4 meters to 3 meters.

How can i fix this? it seems the wheel or axle coordinates have changed ...

12. Bernd

Bernd Registered

That is hard to answer, because there can be a lot reasons.
    But the first that comes in my mind, is the RearWheelTrack setting in the hdv file.
    Check also the FrontWheelTrack and LeftWheelBase and RightWheelBase values, if they match the measurements of the 3d.

13. Kaiser

Kaiser Registered

Thank you ! you hit the key! I have copied the physics of another mod that happened to me but it seems that they are not valid for mine ... it is supposed to be the same ... the same dimensions and everything ... but it does not behave well on the track ... it seems that not going very well. the car in corners has a tendency to overturn.

I guess I need to modify the physics ... but WOW !!! how do you do that!!!? it is a pity that I stay halfway with my project.
    RearWheelTrackRange = (1,131, 0.003, 20)
    I have changed it to RearWheelTrackRange = (0.65, 0.003, 20)

at sight it is seen in its place.
    but it has lost all the charm of the physics of the previous model.
    What I can do?

14. gangstorm

gangstorm Registered

@McFlex I send you a PM regarding some questions I have over a mod. I am trying to resolve this pretty quick so it can become useful. Thanks again for your help!