S397 AI Improvements

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Philip00, Mar 8, 2020.

1. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Hi @Marcel Offermans ,

I know you are very busy, and I do not want to bother you, but becasue you mentioned that the AI will be improved in the latest roadmap, I thought I might suggest a couple of things that could improve the offline experince.

When you have a ltitle time couldyou please take a look at the opening post and confirm if these fixes and improvments are in plan?

Thank you in advance,

Philip

2. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just a note on these two points:
    1) Is a known issue.
    9) They already slow down after the Chequered Flag (or at least did the last time I raced them earlier this year), but they maybe a bit too fast perhaps.

All other points I agree with, some maybe more difficult to code in so may never see the light of day, others may need extensive testing but are doable IMO and finally some/many have been wished for before so I would like to think that S397 are aware :)

Philip00 likes this.
  3. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Hi MarcG,

Yes I know that the first one is a known issue, but I thought of mentioning it because solving this could result in other bug fixes.

I didn't not clearly see that they slow down after the Chequered Flag but i will double check it again. Probabaly minor adjustment needed here.

I hope that they still check these issues as based on Automobilsita these can be possibly fixed.

Hope for the best.

MarcG likes this.
  4. Philip00

Philip00 Member

Since they are written in the latest roadmap that they are going to fix some AI issues, I would like to bump the tgread if it is not against the rules.

@Marcel Offermans could you please help to clarify that in the future there could be a possible fix regarding the list what the OP contains?

Thanks in advance,

Philip

The Great Apt and atomed like this.
  5. trollray

trollray Registered

Hi, i've used some variables that really help my ai and one of the problem was that.
    In aiw file (need to extract it from track.mas file and edit it with notepad)

[Waypoint]
    AISpec=(0.0000,0.0000,1.0000,0.0000) // 4 ways to express AI speed on track, limit the acceration, max speed, their cornering speed, or their deceleration. 0.0 - 1.0
    Normaly it's all 1 for value, now ai level is only affected in corner speed.

AIDraftStickiness=(1.0000)
    Usually, 4.0000 but the less you put the more the ai will not consider using the slipstream and get out earlier to pass a car on a straight.
    For example, i use 0.5 for monaco style of tracks and 2.5000 or little more for le mans, hockenheim, monza etc..

I hope it helps.

(slowwhenpushed=0.80 i use it also sometimes 1.0 is default, less means ai won't give space or givup later in an overtake.)
    My 5 cents ;)
    Cheers

Ps, it can also be the default setup in certain tracks. You need to change the plr file then to make the ai use part of your setups. generaly, aero, gear level and some suspension values i think.) That can be the problem too in certain very fast tracks only.

memoNo1 and atomed like this.
  6. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Just for clarification there is nothing in the latest roadmap for fixing AI issues, before people read your post and get excited! (As mentioned on discord)

7. Philip00

Philip00 Member

You are right, I misunderstood the roadmap, my bad

8. Philip00

Philip00 Member

I would like to bump this thread because hopefully soon they are focusing to AI

9. Pales

Pales Registered

Sorry to do this to you but the behaviour has actually regressed.

Pawel44 likes this.
  10. JamesB

JamesB Registered

But I did not think that the AI had been worked on? If so how can the "old AI" be better?

11. Pales

Pales Registered

Incompetence at the highest level, quite simply.

Let me give you a timeline. Build: 1110 is released on April 20th 2018. It contains the following line "Fixed an issue with the AI throttle and brake application, which would cause poor acceleration at very low AI strengths." Now let me give you an indication as to who requested this. Absolutely no one, but they added it anyway, and did absolutely ZERO testing. Look at the difference between Build 1109 and 1110. The significance of that change resulted in slower lap times and an obnoxious sound when racing.

That same behaviour is still present in this game now, even after all these years. What to know something even more interesting? I reported these issues on the very same day that the build was released. All I got was "if there is an issue, we will fix it" and they simply dismissed all of my evidence.

Let me give you a dose of reality (and yes, it is incredibly hard to swallow) but Studio 397 care very little about the single player experience, and this is clearly demonstrated over the years. If they can regress the AI behaviour and fail to fix it after all these years, how can we assume they will be able to rectify other outstanding bugs that require proper solutions? To put it simply, they cannot, which is why they haven't bothered.

I have seen so many excuses from developers. "Our AI programmer is working on the grand tour game but will be available after to have a look at this" to "it requires a code change and this is planned for the future". I've seen interviews with Marcel where the overtake logic has been discussed, and he gives the same old response and delay mechanic. It is evident that no such programmer exists and has the capabilities to resolve these issues, which is why they are never discussed. All you ever hear is the same lines year upon year upon year and nothing materialises. The historical responses on this forum are an excellent example of this.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2021
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

S397 took blame for the breaking of the AI, in far more ways than just blipping the throttle in corners. But they have never said that correcting that was a high priority. UI/Online garnered 99% of their focus. If they stated a fix was coming soon,(repeatedly) then yeah. I would be shocked, extremely shocked, if massive solo improvements were made in the next two years. I'm an offline player as well. Don't like it, but I'm not gonna slam my head into a brick wall.

Narrowbackwing and atomed like this.
  13. Pales

Pales Registered

Oh, but they did. See below a conversation with Marrs on 12/22/2020.

Me
    "Yet another interesting car being released, but until you can rectify the issue with ai and slip streaming, why should I buy it? I want to buy your DLC's and immerse myself in racing but until that is fixed, I can't justify it. Is this still not a priority?"

Marrs
    "We are working on it, but a proper solution will need a bit more time, so that's scheduled for early 2021.
    Feel free to not buy anything if you're not satisfied. And enjoy your holidays!"

Marrs
    "Just to let you know, that includes some of the AI problems that you mentioned before."

Me
    "Excellent news. I really hope things work out in 2021."

Me
    23/02/21
    "Good morning Marrs. Back in December of last year you mentioned the planned Q1 changes for slip streaming. I was just wondering how you were getting on?"

Me
    12/03/21
    "Very disappointed not to have had a response on this given our history. I appreciate you're busy and we're in unprecedented times, but the significance of this change is so important to the offline community. I can only assume this has been pushed back again but can you offer any insight?"

He has gone quiet again.

14. atomed

atomed Member

Can this AI blipping thing be AIW related? I mean when setting a waypoint that doesn´t meet these speed expectations the AI is trying to accelerate and in the next waypoint same thing (or not).

15. Pales

Pales Registered

The change of behaviour was as a result of Build: 1110 and a lack of internal testing (arguably none at all). The video demonstrates this quite clearly.

Pawel44 likes this.
  16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I Agree with Pales in this respect. Not AIW, but something in the code they changed around 1109. I think it arose when they released the Nascar ....don't know what to call it... module? Still though, I don't think we'll see anything even remotely soon. Especially now they have to guarantee they have the Multiplayer issues corrected for the next big 24 hr thing MG 'must' be planning.

17. Pales

Pales Registered

Indeed. It's just massively, massively disappointing. We've already been waiting 4-5 years, I can definitely see it being another 2-3 given the recent news and events.

Narrowbackwing and Elcid43 like this.
  18. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I can only gree with you. I mean, I am not expecting any big leaps forward as rF2 has allways been a pretty solid sim to race aginst AI, and stuff like the slipstreaming AI would be the icing on the cake for me. But if there get's something broken within a new build it needs to be hotfixed in a timely fashion aka asap no matter where the priorities are. Letting this stuff unfixed for several years let alone even moths is just a no-go because it makes some advertised features of the game unusable. rF2 basicly has no working rule system right now wich is a complete joke considering where that part of the sim once was.

Just today, there was an update for the FE content - yeah, I get it, FE esports is important and they are racing for the climate lol - and there have been features implemented in the meantime to acompany that content. For itself, this isn't a bad thing and I applaud S397 for trying to create a fleshed out experience - if the rest of the product and content was working well. I don't care for FE and would rather see issues fixed and features added that affect all users and not just the FE crowd or a few selected pro driver celebrities. And this isn't me hating on FE and esports, as I certainly enjoy driving online and I have no issues with people enjoying FE. But how is it even possible that something very specific like the attackmode, that works only half decent btw, is a thing while people are still flatshifting through the gears with their h-pattern shifters in the "most hardcore" sim, while this is working better in all other products on the market across the board. I don't get it.

It really hurts from a motorsports fans (do people still know what a petrol head is?) perspective when competing products release f*cking awesome stuff like FIA GT and Group C cars and put an emphasis on great tracks like the historic content for AMS2 or the British GT bundle for ACC. And I am not even an old f*rt but in my early 30s old enough to have witnessed glorious V10s and Champcars. And we get ... a track that I can't spell the name of in a country that doesn't give a flying **** about human rights for a very controversial series while the historic and standard tracks in my favorite sim could clearly use facelift. Interlagos is a track to write home about, Diriyah isn't, that's for sure.

There is hope that some of this stuff get's rectified faster in the future with more money and manpower from MG, but I am cautiously optimistic. Just to add a bit more fuel to the fire: the Endurance Bundle 2 was released allmost three months ago and there have been several reports about issues with the Ligier. Where is the fix for that while there have been no issues with adding further refinements and features to the FE content? It really drives me crazy as a long time fan of rF2, a product that started it's life with a fantastic trailer in historic Monaco and a Belgian contry ride, when stuff like that get's dealt with very halfheartedly.

Long rant over so please pass this on and put it onto the evergrowing pile/ @Paul Jeffrey

19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

IMO the pace of development was already as slow as it can be in the past years. I expect the development pace to speed up significantly now that the work will be done in parent company which in fact does the same thing and is directly dependent on rF2 tech development.

Worst scenario right now: if brakes would be put on the rF2, and instead the tech would be continued to develop in other titles, leaving rF2 out and just used as a donor. In such case, I would expect the development to continue to be as it was for years by now, if not slower, because other title would be developed primarily in the background for few years before it even being announced. In short - there is absolutely nothing clear about the future, absolutely no idea how good or bad it could be for us who are into rF2, into variety of content and into modding. But in case development doesn't ramp up in next few years, then it will be a sign that rF2 is being more of a donor, than "labaratory" platform for pushing all other Motorsports Games forward. Time will go by, and we will see how rF2 is being developed, and how other Motorsports Games will be developed, if I understand the plans correctly, they aim to develop stuff seamlessly, so improvement of rF2 should reflect in MG other games and vice versa.

memoNo1 likes this.
  20. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think it is a myth that the development of rF2 has been slow. What makes it appear slow is that the priorities have been a bit strange and the introduction of some really strange features and content compared to genre basics is a perfect sign of that. Another issue is the missing standard across the content, wich is an issue that they are trying to fix throughout the year according to their last roadmaps, but I will believe it when I see it. Kunos ramped up the visual standard for all of their AC tracks within a few months. For rF2 we are lucky if we get a track update or two within one year - for free content. The first track with PBR support was Le Mans wich was released allmost two years ago. All tracks should have been updated by now with all the most up to date tech like PBR, new track marshalls, puddle maps, dirt maps etc. so that people recognice that they are officialy playing rF2 and not a mod from 2014.

There is allways the argument that the work on new and old content has to be balanced and I get that to some extend, but I promise you that having a solid base of free tracks will sell your stock game and premium content alot easier if people aren't put off by tracks with missing features that make them refund the game because it looks ugly or because the AI cars are behaving like some complete idiots. So stuff like fixing the AI for the Azure circuit after more than 12 months doesn't help at all. And if I had to make a poll, if people would like to see a track like Interlagos finaly recieving an update or the release of a strange circuit in the middle east that nobody ever heard of, what do you think what sells this game better if that dubious track is behind another paywall and if Interlagos is in a state of 2017? People can read the comments under that track in the workshop and it says alot. There is some very wierd desicion making behind that kind of stuff and the reaction on RD and to some extend even here in the forum shows this.

Toro, mantasisg, Philip00 and 2 others like this.