Shadows on Circuits Are Too Dark

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Lloyd Dixon, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Lloyd Dixon

Lloyd Dixon Registered

Some circuits that are open and spacious, like Silverstone, the shadows aren't a problem since there is nothing close enough to the circuit, other than bridges, that cast shadows. But at other venues that are more closed in, like Monza with its tall trees lining the circuit for most of the lap, it is very difficult to see where you're going, the shadows are so dark. They're very nearly opaque with blackness. Turning on headlights makes almost no difference at all.

Other than simply turning off shadows - which is unacceptable as a "fix" - is there any way of modifying shadow darkness? I recall a coefficient modifying such in the player file in GTR2 but have not been able to find a similar function in RF2's .JSON file.

Thanks.

Ricardo Diz and ItsBillyFrazier like this.
  2. ItsBillyFrazier

ItsBillyFrazier Registered

I agree.

Shadows are unrealistically dark at times. I was thinking exactly this earlier this evening when driving the Nurburgring GP circuit. The shadow from the stand at T1 made the casting area pitch black.

Switching on the headlights made a negligible difference. Pretty unrealistic alright.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Shadows is interesting subject, but yes indeed they are too dark in many tracks. IIRIC Sebring and Lemans has good shadows, but don't remember exactly. Whole Nurburgring artistic modeling side is mediocore in my personal honest opinion. I would suppose that things could improve with announced lighting graphical improvements later this year as it was pointed out in 2019 December roadmap.

PS if you drive monza that is a rip, then it doesn't belong to rF2 really and I saw one video it looked more than terrible in shadows, worst I've seen in any track.

4. lagg

lagg Registered

You may like it or not, but it's not a rip.
    You should be better informed before saying something like that

PS: Clearing out this.
    It began wit a conversion with permissions from ISI.
    And after that there was a lot of work in it.
    We stopped the work some years ago, and rF2 continues evolving and now is outdated.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Corti likes this.
  5. svictor

svictor Registered

Shadow darkness is a major problem, unrealistic, and currently no way to adjust (other than IBL Ambient, very very very little effect). It seems the newest screenshots of Portland from last roadmap have shown improvement, but not sure if it's really happening, and hoping blue tint will also be addressed.

Corti likes this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Are we talking about monza that's from assetto?

7. lagg

lagg Registered

8. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Damn... sometimes I get confused with rF2 content for real.

My comment was based on this video..

However, I watched it on my tablet before, and it very likely has worse contrast than my gaming/work PC, so now that I watched it - shadows looks just as bad as at typical rF2 track :D

P.S. it is amazing how it is easy to miss content in steam workshop, somehow I never catched on this track... took me a while to find Montreal from you guys, and it is great improvement over the older version.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    Corti and lagg like this.
  9. lagg

lagg Registered

Thank you ;)