GTE - why is driving so hard?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R.Noctua, Mar 11, 2020.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Well.

If a significant part of rF2 users think that the best rF2 cars (100% S397 cars, not ISI) and the physics engine (in particular the tire model) is lower than other simulations, then it is precisely the rF2's major asset in the face of competition, so rF2 will never convince, and will sink in the next 2 years. Sure.

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

That's a very big "if".

No point in such discussions, people form an opinion based on all sorts of stuff and there's no shifting it.

3. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

The problem is, that people have some very wierd perceptions. I tested the GTE cars at Le Mans for myself to see how severe the issue is and I indeed lost it at the kink before Indianapolis. But before blaming the sim I remembered that I had very low grip level on track and a car in low downforce trim while trying to floor it through that kink in the second lap. It's not gonna work ...

People make all wierd comments how they could floor it in one lap but not the lap after. That's the beauty of dynamic sims. It's nice but it also punishes you. Also don't forget that alot of comments are about confidence. I don't want to know how much of this is down to different hardware and FFB settings.

4. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

Driving god.

bwana likes this.
  5. svictor

svictor Registered

It all started after this August 15th BOP, just check everyone's post after that day, you can clearly see the problem. Before that, all GTEs were a pleasure and so fun to drive, challenging yet manageable. Then after this BOP, suddenly there's simply "no grip" with these cars (except M8), and all old setups were pretty much unusable, especially C7R just kept spinning all over the place even with the most "stable" setup direction. One of our real life racer recently rebooted RF2 and tried some lap with C7R, the first thing he said was "Who disassembled C7R's rear diffuser?"

Shame, a lot of our local racers started buying and playing RF2 because of those fantastic cars, we once had a lot fun and good race with them. Then last summer this BOP hit, no longer fun, and after more then half year there is still no fix, and people simply moved on to other platform.

6. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

Thank you for the advice!

The problem is that it works with every car, but not with GTE. I know what you mean, but this is not the case.

7. Travis

Travis Registered

He's still with S397 as a Virtual Vehicle Engineer - https://au.linkedin.com/in/michael-borda-a048a827

let's hope something is done ASAP.

memoNo1 likes this.
  8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yeah but he isn't making most cars, afaik he is more on tire development part
    I wish they'd get either Miro or Niels, sure Niels dislike this tire model but he could do a big part of his work still on the real time session, would be nice if they'd convince him but I guess he'd rather focus on his sim hardware business

TJones likes this.
  9. kimbo

kimbo Registered

bwana likes this.
  10. ThomasJohansen

ThomasJohansen Registered

I have used the last 2 weeks to figure out how to stop hitting this "icy" wall after 7-8 laps at lemans with the GTE 911 RSR. And maybe just now I finally have it sorted out, though still need some extra tests.
    A lot about stiffen it up and make it more understeering.

11. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

You can't apply what works for some other cars to the GTE cars. It's the same situation as with the Formula 2 car back in the day that people didn't like because you couldn't adjust the caster settings as per the real regulations and it had it's own unique feel, FFB and challenge. After that S397 added the unrealistic but more popular option to adjust the caster settings, wich is in my opinion not the right way to go.

It goes without saying that there might be other issues with the cars - and there can be multiple reasons, but the people who claim that the cars were better before the BOP update completely ignore the fact that they were simply too fast and most likely too easy to drive. All I read now is that the cars aren't a joy to drive anymore or that people have no confidence. But this is not how I would approach the issue. If people want to have a constructive discussion about this topic then only telementry and scientific approaches will help. Everything else is just fudging the physics to the playerbase' likings, wich I suspect is not what we are here for, or am I wrong?

muz_j, pkelly, memoNo1 and 1 other person like this.
  12. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

You contradict yourself

13. ThomasJohansen

The Porsche curves, are the trickiest, to keep it on track without overheating the tires.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
    R.Noctua likes this.
  14. Andregee

Andregee Registered

Which hud is this?

15. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

Simhub - check RD.

[​IMG]

16. ThomasJohansen

I have linked to it in the video, the version in the video, is not done yet, and requeries an extra plugin.

17. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

Last edited: Mar 13, 2020
  18. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

downshifting too permissive, irl the engine doesn't make 2 turns like that!!!

R.Noctua likes this.
  19. ThomasJohansen

20. AMillward

AMillward Registered

F1 looks easy because those drivers are on another level compared to normies like us. We wouldn't get out the pit lane

The Iron Wolf likes this.