GTE - why is driving so hard?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by R.Noctua, Mar 11, 2020.

1. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

Nothing much to compare with, except AC and iRacing, but why is RF2 GTE so unpredictable?
    I don't know why, but I didn't think it was a problem before and I thought it was all right.

If Aston Martin and BMW M8 are still somehow, but it's hard to drive, Porsche and Corvette (especially!) are completely unclear. It feels like driving on ice - you have to lift TC a lot and the worst thing is the turns. Sometimes passing two identical turns can have absolutely different result. I don't get it.

Somebody can share the viable settings, as I have noticed that I am 90% sitting in the garage trying to adjust and 10% is hotlap. :(
    For example, the Porsche 911 CUP will not cause any problems, although logically it should be more difficult to drive.

2. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Because its not the most realistic sim anymore. Race cars do have grip believe it or not.

Rf2 was pinnacle back in 2006 now its being left behind on a physics and tyre model level.

Don't read the hype.

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Grip experts convention 2020.

RIP simracing

4. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

5. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

It's not fun. :(
    So the problem is the game or the settings? I don't quite understand. For me, it's the only class in all the games that got me stuck in garage settings and I'd like to find a solution to drive stably.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

Race cars have grip, but that doesn't necessarily make them easy to drive, this is a common misconception. A perfect example of this is modern F1. There is more downforce and grip than anywhere else, but it can actually make it harder to control the car on the limit in certain situations. Best example is all the spins that Vettel made during 2018 and 2019. Road cars are a different story, they are made easy to drive for Sunday drivers.

AMillward and Rui Santos like this.
  7. LokiD

LokiD Registered

In my real life experience I found there to be more grip than a certain sims portray.

The fact that it shocked me as I was almost expecting the ice feeling.

That's not just the car at the limit... Even at Low speed situations I found rl cars weight/grip isn't that well represented either.

Anyway this is just my opinion it makes No difference to this thread or Rf2 at this point..

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    FAlonso likes this.
  8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Right now GTE cars are a mess and only S397 knows how many cars released by them would need physics to be remade from scratch by someone that have a better idea about what he is doing, it's more about who made them than the sim itself so pls ignore the "huh duh not realistic sim anymore" whine.
    Till this guy gets better, they get Borda back at making cars or they hire someone else we are stuck with this

9. LokiD

LokiD Registered

Wrong..... the tyre model always has had this flaw.

williang83 likes this.
  10. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Which flaw exactly? Assuming particular behavior of the GTEs is wrong, how do you know it's because of tire model? Maybe it's wrong suspension, chassis etc, bad setup etc? I agree GTE seem too difficult to drive (i.e. too oversteery), but none of us actually drove one IRL to pinpoint what's wrong. Besides tire model <> tire implementation, although the tires integrated into the GTE should be accurate.

memoNo1 likes this.
  11. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I can't actually pinpoint the exact issue. I've always found with all Rf2 cars there is this ice feeling or lack of grip and for me a real lack of Confidence I have with the Rf2 cars.

FAlonso likes this.
  12. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

And which Sim is in your opinion Realistic in comparison to RL?

DrivingFast likes this.
  13. lagg

lagg Registered

14. FAlonso

FAlonso Registered

I think the same, rF2 feels exaggerated, all cars seem to suffer excessive oversteer.

Personally it doesn't seem realistic.

J7166, tlsmikey and R.Noctua like this.
  15. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

S397 GT cars seem to be made for beginners. Too much emphasis on TC, and missing too many tuning features to allow the driver to match the car to their style of driving.

R.Noctua likes this.
  16. R.Noctua

R.Noctua Registered

That's funny )) But then why is GTE so hard to keep, like, on braking? Sometimes, for no reason at all, the rear tyres lose their grip. Whereas on the previous lap in the same place, I did it with the accelerator fully clamped... I guess there's something I don't understand. :)

My experience is about ~1300 hours(ACC/RRE/RF2 and most of it is AC. iRacing for tests, because I don't have this game, but sometimes I have access), but I feel like I can't find the key to stable GTE driving. Even the R3E Porsche 934 doesn't cause me any problems although he is considered the most... difficult to explore. But that by the way.

FAlonso likes this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

There are a couple things about tires to understand, to actually get a clue about what is what. There is no such thing as a "grip" it is complex result of whole lot of different variables. I bet the grip is correct, however, how it is composed - thats worth discussion. But you need to understand tire at least a little bit.

At the end - I am sorry, but it likely should be more difficult, at least on the limit at high speed. I am afraid that you need to top up your driving abilities.

18. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Too much rear brake bias, softer rear rebound, not enough straight line braking before turn in.

Under braking weight shifts to front. Timing of the throttle and suspension tuning along with adjusting turn in approach is crucial. Drive below the limit and feel your way around than think about what tunable settings will help.

Remco Majoor, avenger82 and memoNo1 like this.
  19. TJones

TJones Registered

Just hope Michael is still part of the team. I've read some time ago he works on codebase to improve tyre physics.
    Would be a disaster for rF2 to loose such an experienced developer.

avenger82 likes this.
  20. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

It makes a big difference in a green track or not.
    I feel the car has much more grip in the qualification session after 2 practice sessions.
    Also the car setting in rfactor2 is very important.

Risto Kappet and Rui Santos like this.