Things like this keeps my interest in cars, racing and simracing alive

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mantasisg, Feb 20, 2020.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

When most of everything seems wrong, boring, unexciting, non-entertaining, fake, synthetic, stupid, depressing, soulless and dead. I watch something like this, and it resets all interest and enthusiasm.

Le Mans 1971 Movie is best documentation on film of racing there ever was, or will ever be. Digital has no chance as well as any modern high-end form of racing.

2. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

I have noticed that i'm actually not that much into racing, personally.
    I'm more into the act of driving and cars (and motorcycles).
    So the videos that gets my driving/simracing juices going are more like these.

Skip to 5:00 for driving stuff.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2020
    mantasisg, RaceNut and avenger82 like this.
  3. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

Grand Prix does a very good job of documenting racing also. The race sequences in both are still the best.

mantasisg and bwana like this.
  4. Korva7

Korva7 Registered

That Collecting cars podcast hosted by Chris Harris, on the same youtube channel as the video above, might be worth a look for some here.
    Well i put a link to that too.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2020
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Richard Busch Oh yes the Grand Prix movie did it all very well also, while also being a lot more like a normal movie. Le Mans movie is just absolute rawness, but it also is a bit strange as a movie, it is absolutely unique in all ways. Really glad those two movies exist.

@Korva7 I wish for Carrera GT in simracing someday, I think it is one of those last generation of raw road legal supercars, I can feel it would be very exciting to drive on the edge of its limits.

Also thanks for C9 vid and the podcast. Seems like it is lovely podcast, lookin forward to lay down with some beer and just listen. And C9 is perhaps my favorite racing car, or at least one of the favorites for sure, it is more like overpowered non-street supercar, than a spaceship, it is just pure thing on wheels with tremendous power, like Jochen Mass said driving it felt like always being on the limit, comparing to C11 which was much more stable, but I think I like C9 more exactly for that reason, it is super edgy but in a good way (driven C9 in AC, and C11 mod in rF2). Also... Sam Hancock makes great videos, he also has his own channel, really great man.

Korva7 likes this.
  6. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

Le Mans being strange as a movie is pretty simple to explain from my POV. Steve McQueen was a real racing driver (I think he finished second behind Andretti at Sebring) and it shows in the movie, because he emphasizes alot on what makes racing special. For racing enthusiasts this is easy to see and it is what makes this movie great for racing fans. But for casual spectators who don't know what this is all about or who don't get wet panties seeing and hearing a 917 this movie is pretty freaking dull. They are impersonated by the blonde ladie asking "Why are you doing zis?" :D

And that's the reason why this movie flopped pretty hard while it costed a sh*t ton of money and time to produce.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yeah. Also they did it without proper script, basically just shot ton of film, and then composed it, and IMO did it really well.

8. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Just watched LeMans on Vimeo. Always been a 917 fan, seen them race as a young teenager, drive them at least once a week on rF2.

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I have been working on my own physics for it for some period. I should go back to it since I improved since then. Incredible car to drive fast.

10. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Do you mean RL Physics?
    And when its so, from where you got some informations?
    This is a veryinteresting part.

11. John R Denman

John R Denman Registered

Same here, but only in DevMode. So far just created the option to select tires modeled as radial ply and a bit more downforce as a test. Just too many other good mods to do much else, and mostly as a way to learn a bit more about tire physics.

12. David O'Reilly

David O'Reilly Registered

Fun fact/trivia.
    Tag Heuer used the movie to launch its "Monaco" model. They arrived on set and handed them to the main characters including Steve McQueen.