Logging Out-of-Realtime Physics Freezes [public-test]

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Christopher Elliott, Mar 19, 2019.

1. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

What Antivirus software people are running? (I'm on Avast paid version)
    Just trying to get bigger picture of this, I'm biasing myself towards drive I/O problem, something collides with windows drive io thread, that cache flushing makes lot of difference on my case, if just more people tests that also and verify is there change on their case or not.

2. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

Never run antivirus, even before defender came about.
    Safety on the internet is more about how you handle yourself than any antivirus program and not running antivirus gives you 1 generation worth of cpu performance and quite a few generations of storage performance.

Davvid and Bill Worrel like this.
  3. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Avast free here and no issues...

4. Christos Segkounas

Can you suggest a way to find out which app could be doing it?
    I can thing of how myself probably through computer management but haven't really done it before so if you have a specific suggestion I wouldn't mind hearing it.

5. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

This statement is wrong on many levels, unless it’s 1998 :)
    There are many benchmarks out there that show antivirus has a negligible impact on gaming (unless you happen to run a full system scan while gaming, but why would you).
    And just being careful on the internet isn’t enough to warrant being safe from all threats. You’re free to run the risk of course, but better to prevent than to cure ;)

Looking at your video, the physics freeze appears to occur exactly when someone is joining the game.

McFlex likes this.
  6. Christos Segkounas

Good'ol join/leave lag, wouldn't blame my cpu for that would I?
    Concerning the antivirus thing I am not going to argue, just do it like I've been doing it for 33 years now;)

7. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

At least for me the join lag was fixed in the previous patch, but not the graphics freeze.

With MSI afterburner you can monitor cpu and gpu frequency, temps and more, but not usage of individual apps. Not sure if there are more granular logging apps...

8. stonec

stonec Registered

Only thing you can really do is use some kind of monitoring that tracks CPU usage while you are in the race. With a second screen like my setup it's relatively simple, just keep a task manager instance open on the free screen and follow the process page to see if it's rF2 or something else that eats CPU during the rubber banding moments.

In general, with Windows 10 you can do some measures like ensure you are running with game mode enabled etc. and with full screen mode to minimize other apps using the CPU. I have noticed that even with these measures, in the last couple of years various background tasks are running more and more frequently on Windows 10 without respecting the game being open, which is annoying. If you have a CPU with lots of cores, it's obviously less of an issue.

9. Tygernoot

Tygernoot Registered

What mode is everyone running? Full screen, borderless, windowed?

I’m always running full screen.

10. Christos Segkounas

Seeing as it is a classic case of join/leave lag I am not so sure my cpu is the culprit.
    Also join lag I thought too was fixed but it is pretty apparent from the above experience this is not the case.

11. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

Record To Memory is set to false, I wasn't aware of that setting, so I'll try that, thanks.

In general, the types of freezes I get, I wouldn't describe as "rubber banding", it's more of a "freeze then continue". CPU usage is usually steady at around 40%, GPU steady around 50%, shown by Afterburner. Using Windows Defender, game mode enabled. I usually run in windowed borderless mode with vsync off, but tried it fullscreen as well, and with vsync on, all combinations. I've also tried Rivatuner, limiting FPS etc etc, made no difference.

12. JMartinez

JMartinez Registered

13. Christos Segkounas

"freeze and continue" is "rubber banding" because you freeze in place while others race on.
    It basically refers to what others see when it happens to you.
    It will cause a crash if you unfreeze inside another car and time loss equal to the amount of time you spent frozen in place.
    This is what RF2 has always been about and it most ofetn happens when people join/leave the server.
    The graphics freeze means the car moves on but the screen is frozen, most often ending with you in the wall or into somebody else.
    This is new to RF2 in my experience.
    At first it replaced the "physics freeze" after some update but during this race I had the pleasure of experiencing both in one event for the first time.

M Lynn likes this.
  14. JMartinez

JMartinez Registered

screen freezing out of the pitline
    I send video and the records, it is at the end of the recording of the session recorded when the image is frozen, when it returns I leave the game, so I know that it is at the end of the session where it is frozen

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AiFdgPxJnvUlqCek3AucMOib17o_?e=5CqmXN

Last edited: Mar 2, 2020
  15. Nikodem Wisniewski

Nikodem Wisniewski Registered

Hey there, I had the freezing problem since I remember but it looks like it's fixed now.

I had to uninstall Firefox and all reg files of it + reinstall rF2 on SSD.

Now it looks like problem is gone!

16. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

More likely it's because you put it on SSD rather than firefox. Could be the same issue I was having with replays writing to disk. I've been buffering replays to RAM for nearly a week now, as Stefan_L_01 suggested, and the stutters have gone for me. I have rF2 on a mechanical HD, with Windows on SSD. I also have firefox open all the time, with lots of tabs, and never causes an issue.

Maybe S397 could add an option to only write replays to disk when in the pits, it wouldn't help much in long races but would certainly help in practice and qualy sessions.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  17. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Glad I could help you. Its amazing that obviously many default code functions do things in a way that should be avoided for real time critical applications. E.g. like opening/writing files in the real time demanding task. There are freeware tools like spdlog offering async saving.
    At least those stutters can be observed, I don´t want to know what can not be observed because they happen beyond our brain/eye recognition abillity but still influence frames and maybe even physics, leading to initial slips / traction loss, whatever

M Lynn and The Iron Wolf like this.
  18. massimiliano1970

massimiliano1970 Registered

hello, i have micro stuttering, it happens 2-3 times in an hour, i tried everything possible, what can i do? here you talk about deleting replay saves? how you do it?

19. lagg

lagg Registered

20. M Lynn

M Lynn Registered

The weird thing is, it never happened that much until recently. What does spdlog do? I googled it but the info is a bit sketchy.

massimiliano1970, it isn't deleting replay saves, it's a setting in your player.json, "Record To Memory":true. Setting it to true buffers replays to RAM instead of writing to disk at regular intervals. Try it if you're having regular stutters, it might help.