Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

FWIW, on my 27 in at either 1040 or 1440, the UI screen does not fill my screen UNTIL I change the graphic setting for Widescreen Hud, it is always set to off, and I have to change it to on before the UI fills the screen.

2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I haven't tried the new UI yet but it's funny, I'm having the opposite problem in AC but with the in car ui. My VR cursor will only move in 1/4 of the screen. Top left. And I can't get to the apps on the right. But changing resolution doesn't help in my case.

3. Remco Majoor

Remco Majoor Registered

Do you have your game running in 4K by accident?

4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

For me it is the same.
    In 1080p with Rift S + steamVR, very happy about steamVR ingame since I try again it since opencomposite broke 1 week ago (no steamvr reprojection).

For example, you have to turn your head excessively to navigate in different places, for example to go to "all tracks", but also in many places.

I really think that the UI is not a good UI for VR.
    At the ergonomic / practical level, in everyday use.

Not to mention as it has been reminded many times the problems of micro freeze, or I do not know which term to use because my English is bad, which destroy the experience, especially in the showroom and in the tab "tracks" .

mixer61 likes this.
  5. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

[QUOTE="DrivingFast, post: 1017002, member: 50370"

For example, you have to turn your head excessively to navigate in different places, for example to go to "all tracks", but also in many places.
    [/QUOTE]
    Have you tried turning the game resolution down from the 1920 setting to the 1440 setting? I do this in the 'old' UI as in VR the default is too wide.

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Have you tried turning the game resolution down from the 1920 setting to the 1440 setting? I do this in the 'old' UI as in VR the default is too wide.[/QUOTE]

I will try that.

Thx

7. Vanisch

Vanisch Registered

Dear Studio 397, the new UI is getting annoying. Now I have for the first time the error that after a white screen, the game does not start and returns to Windows. It's not so funny anymore.
    so I'm switching back to Beta v1117

8. sfrost

sfrost Registered

The replay seeker in the new UI is pretty useless since it doesn't say what lap your looking at or what the lap time is like it does with the old UI. As a result if your looking back through the replay you have to guess where you are based on what you see on track. Add in the functionality of the old UI with lap display and lap time display in replays.

Additonally, I have said this already but the screen flicker when loading into the new UI in VR is seriously bad and can cause severe damage to someone's eyes when they see that. Did no one notice the bright white flickering screen when testing the game in VR?

Ontop of this, the title of certain settings pages is incorrect. The resolution, frame rate, fullscreen mode etc of the game are all to do with display and should not be under the 'Graphics' sub menu. Ontop of this, car model quality, texture quality, shadows etc etc are all to do with the games graphics and should not be under the 'Display' sub menu. This is really basic and I am surprised it wasn't caught before the UI was released and even more surprised that it still hasn't been sorted.

Also, there is no exit button anywhere except the 'Start' page for some reason. There should be a dedicated exit button on all pages in the main menu, perfect place to put it would be at the end of the bar with all the other main menu tabs so regardless of which tab your on you can easily leave the game.

As well as all of the above, in the setup screen there is no reason why can't fit all the icons for all the tuning screens onto one bar at the bottom to make it easy to navigate between them. The old UI was able to do this the new UI should be too. Having to try and scroll across with a scroll bar that stays pressed if you move your mouse out the little area before you release the button is counter intuitive.

More issues but I can't be bothered to type them all out, frustrates me thinking about it. Overall the new UI does not seem like something that has spent 2 years in development with any amount of testing being done it feels like someone put it together in a couple of weeks to make it look pretty but put no thought into the user experience. It doesn't make it easier than the old UI to navigate through the game and get things setup and takes functionality out of the game that was in the previous UI. The new UI kept getting pushed back to be implemented with the new competition system but that hasn't arrived yet despite being promised a beta a year ago. The UI that we get doesn't deliver despite the fact you had the chance to look at other sims for inspiration to see everything they got right and what they got wrong and know exactly what to implement, what works best for people and what you should avoid, so what was all that development time spent on and what did you keep us waiting for?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    simvalek, bobbie424242, Emery and 4 others like this.
  9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@sfrost I 'like'd your post because of the feedback, but regarding the usual "2 years for this?" tone, remember a lot of the work done wasn't the actual UI layout but the underlying framework. The delays on delays (considering we had early UI screenshots 2+ years ago) can only indicate several rethinks on how best to handle everything under the hood. What you see on your screen is actually the least difficult bit, and will hopefully therefore see rapid improvement.

Adam Helyes and nonamenow like this.
  10. sfrost

sfrost Registered

Then more time should have been spent on the actual layout of the UI as it is the only way a user has to interact with the game. It is one of the most important aspects of it because of that so doing a poor job with the "least difficult bit" is setting up for failure and doesn't make them look good or fill me with hope. Additonally, everything with S397 seems to be wait for better to come but looking back at their track record I can't see that being the case. The merc GT3 ffb is still not sorted, the missing dash in the porsche 911 rsr is still not sorted, sebring and nurburgring have not seen further performance optimisation. The list of things that need to see improvement seems to be forever growing but hardly anything is getting crossed off it.

Marisa likes this.
  11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm not saying they did a good job with it, I'm just saying they didn't spend 2-3 years designing the UI layout :cool: (and it's far from set in stone)

Content systems have been moving goalposts for a few years with dx11 and new shaders etc, they keep saying they'll release modding info when it's basically finalised so I imagine we'll see content update passes after that time. I agree content issues tend to sit for too long (certainly longer than average user expectation, which is abundantly clear to everyone including the devs) and I don't want to represent some sort of long-term user acceptance of that, it's more a resigned "well that's how it is" because no amount of past complaining has changed it. I don't think we should get to a point of just putting up with it, but there also seems little to be gained from constant talk about it. At the end of the day if things aren't how people want there are other options outside rF2 to tide them over, and we all hope rF2 will pick up to the point where those people will come back at least some of the time. Feature-wise there has been slow but steady progress over the years, and that keeps some optimism present but it's a slow burner.

Scoopscat7 and Emery like this.
  12. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

Hello VTCC Hamster

I am having eh same issue when I launch rF2 directly, the screen goes white then the game quits. When I launch rF2 using my SimCommander 4 for my SimXpertience wheel it launches, I get the white scree and the game quits without messages. Additionall since the update, when I run the non-Beta version I get errors when rF2 tries to update the GT3 cars.

Did you find a solution?

Attached Files:

13. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Whatever you have installed from VLN probably needs uninstalling.
    The clue ( in these cases ) is in the error messages.

Voltaic likes this.
  14. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

Indeed the VLN skinpack was causing that error. Still can't resolve the Beta interface issues. Thank you!

Update: After ensuring all outdated MODs were uninstalled I was able to launch the Beta version of rF2. It ran very well during my short testing, the new interface is beautiful although not the most intuitive at first. All and all I LOVE IT! Thank you guys at S397!!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    davehenrie and ADSTA like this.
  15. strannikxxxxx

strannikxxxxx Registered

Is it possible to disable animation in the new UI?

Martin Vindis likes this.
  16. Leige

Leige Registered

Great update to ui. Vr performance in menus is better and load screens are better too.

Points to improve:
    • Car select in practice is not yet available

• Install new workshop content requires restart

17. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

one question: if I only select the M2 CS in the opponents menu will the AI cars be all CS and not Cup version?

18. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

The Cup cars are very disobedient and do whatever they want. I've heard they have "little engine syndrome" all loud exhaust and no torque.

You seem serious though ayrton, you even have your helmet ready to go. So my answer for you is to have faith in the selection box. Your tick is their command. You only want Cup, then Cup it is.
    You want a challenge, you drive a Cup and select the Club Sport. ;)

19. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

thanks, unfortunately till some days ago this was missing

20. Maarten Nauta

Maarten Nauta Registered

Oh man new UI take 2...:

-15 mins to watch disk light
    -3 different "Race" buttons on the main screen

Time for MP, maybe there is someone online (...):

-Horizontal scrolling with large tiles in server browser, you change this but seriously why it this horizonal stuff the default
    -Can only select pace car when I join server
    -No cancel on the join it's either join spectate or "quit game"
    -Crash when joining with the pace car

OK SP it is:
    - Track selection, first change to vertical, why is the select button on the other end of the screen from the track list where you click to select tracks?
    -Ok I still can only select the pace car this happened in the old UI as well and there was some weird way to fix that I don't remember. Something with series? Do I need to select "All cars and tracks"? No... "GT3 Dave"? No... Who knows...
    -I give up where is the exit game button on the "race" screen? Oh I first have to click start in the top left. Of course.

So maybe in a few months...

I understand that resources are very limited but a lot of this layout/buttons/this button goes to this screen etc stuff could have been avoided with a pencil and some blank sheets of paper to make UI mockups or something.

simvalek, qusimano and Emery like this.