Server not visible in list - SOLVED (firewall rules)

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by bo1210, Feb 8, 2020.

1. bo1210

bo1210 Registered

Now clicking the Host Server button on the launcher launches this:
    :D:D:D
    What a joke!

Attached Files:

2. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

steam file check ?

As it was working in dec, could this problem be a windows updates problem ? double check the local (windows) FW

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

I'm now having the same problem running dedi server and have been for a while but just got connected to NBN and reset the modem.
    Did the port forwarding and rechecked 3 times can see the server on the LAN (PC next to server) but can't see it on line from external PC. Also get this error when trying to connect via LAN
    upload_2020-2-14_20-25-29.png

I've tried changing the ports from the standard to the ones mentioned above by @Goanna with no joy.
    Re checked firewall settings for the server and the client (local) and the ports and programs are cleared.

I thought at one stage I had to have a port open for steam, is that the case and if so does anyone know which?

Thanks in advance

PS: just noticed that TS3 is not visible to the external client either.

Attached Files:

4. Goanna

Goanna Registered

@JimmyT check how many dedicated server processes you have running via Ctrl Alt Del. Any extras kill them off.

JimmyT likes this.
  5. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks mate no other dedi serv process running. It might be my ISP causing the trouble they have a system that makes it difficult to host (apparently) will have to wait till the call centre is open again tomorrow.

Edit: Have spoken to my ISP and it IS their CGNAT system blocking the server. I have opted out and will be testing my server's visibility later. Thanks for the feedback though, appreciated.

6. bo1210

bo1210 Registered

Thanks, @Akela_DE yes, Steam integrity has been performed at least 10-15 times since December. Not sure about Windows updates. I'm sure there have been 3 or 4. Doesn't matter at this point. The Discord league I host in and one other have taken note of all the problems (not just mine) beginning to pile up, and we will be moving to other current and upcoming sims.

7. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

8. bo1210

bo1210 Registered

Thanks, @ADSTA I tried that earlier this week.

9. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

thats weird
    A few days ago i have updated my TP-LINK router with last openwrt. Created new port forwarding rules with the standard ports from mulitplayer.json and started the dedi. WAN connect works at once. No problem. And no loopback adaptor ;)

perhaps you could show your rules here ? and your local FW - rules ? and your network setup ;)

10. bo1210

bo1210 Registered

Thanks @Akela_DE all that was explained in my original post.

11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have you tried removing the player, multiplayer and CustomPluginVariables.JSONs and then verify game files and restart rF2.
    Clutching at air now, the straws ran out.

12. bo1210

bo1210 Registered

HAHA! Thanks @ADSTA ! Have NOT tried that. Will not be home for another several hours, but could be done before end of the evening.

13. bo1210

bo1210 Registered

@ADSTA Removed the 3 json files, but when validating, Steam found nothing wrong...LOL! Clicking the Host button still brings up the command window with < chat >: in it. Restored the 3 json files manually, and same thing happened. Again, no worries. My league has decided to phase out rF2 for other current and upcoming sims. I have yet to NOT be in an rF2 race where multiple other racers come at me with multiple other problems, be they seeing the server, logging in, Package Not Available, or a plethora of other pre-game and in-game problems. Thanks to everyone who selflessly devoted their time to helping me! Good luck going forward in whatever sim you do it in!!

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Those config files are generated by the game, so they don't come under the steam validation. (which means only removing those files is no reason to run steam file validation, they're really separate troubleshooting steps)

15. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

What i see in 1. post, is you "saying" you have done everything right.
    What i want to see, are screenshots. sometimes we make errors and are to blind to see it. ;)
    And remove/backup your userfolder, let it rebuild, try again. Perhaps remove also the dedicated.exe files or bin64/32 because your chat message looks so funny

16. bo1210

bo1210 Registered

That's all been done. Sorry if it looks "funny" to you.

17. bo1210

bo1210 Registered

Reinstalling the game did get the server setup page to come back (instead of the chat window), but it still wasn't showing a server. I finally decided that it HAD to be a firewall issue, even though turning the firewall off did not help (which it SHOULD have). I went to Defender and Incoming Rules and just deleted every rule that had "rFactor 2" in it. Everyone of them had green check marks, which is why I originally thought the firewall rules weren't the problem. Then I restarted the server and the usual firewall notice comes up saying the sim wants to access the internet. I said yes to both public and private networks, and hosting from my machine is now possible again and others can see it AND log into it.

Strangely enough, there were originally 10 rFactor 2 "rules" listed in the firewall configuration. After the forced reconfiguration, there are now 4. Hmmmmm.....

Thanks, @Bernd @Goanna @ADSTA @KostasGR and @Akela_DE

@Brent and @JimmyT - ^^^you may want to try that.

Bernd, Lazza, JimmyT and 2 others like this.
  18. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Hoots mon. :cool:

Could you add the Solved tag to the title please. I'm sure it will help others.

19. bo1210

bo1210 Registered

Done.

20. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Thanks for the heads up but it was my new ISP's CGNAT system stopping my server.
    Have tested and it works fine (along with TS3)

bo1210 likes this.