Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. bwana

bwana Registered

Your friends could use the perfectly serviceable old UI ?

atomed likes this.
  2. Emery

Emery Registered

Sorry, not me, not this time. I did with the DX11 project, but this time round I've not got the bandwidth (literal isp bandwidth) to deal with the updates only to have to back out of them. Once s397 begin including Dev Mode with the UI, then I'll possibly be involved.

TheGame316 likes this.
  3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

o_O

4. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

@ADSTA its about personal taste
    i just use the old ui without a problem since i joined RF2 at 2014.
    New ui is good but i need to browse to many pages to do some things so I went back to old ui.

atomed likes this.
  5. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

If S397 would play the game seriously themselves we would not need to tell them, at least not so much.

6. José Santos

José Santos Registered

• This new update is working better with VR. There's still white flashing lights when you join the game for the first time and when you join a multiplayer server (single player is fine though).
    • Best lap times have a small error, if you open all the laps by a single player there's always a discrepancy between that and the fastest lap shown in the lobby.
    • Reiza cars and some other mods don't show any car image.
    • The default mode could be single player instead of multiplayer (at least with this new update your preference is saved so you don't need to wait for the loading of your favorite multiplayer servers all the time).
    • Last but not least (this is probably the most annoying bug out of all I found so far), the grid position is not affecting anything (to be fair I did one race where the "random grid position" worked, then I joined a multiplayer game then I returned to single player and the grid position stopped doing anything at all, I'd always start first no matter what (unless I played Qualifiers obviously).

Other than that I think this update and the new UI are good and for the first time I won't revert them. There are still plenty of things to polish but overall I'm pretty pleased with the result, thanks Studio397! If you need more feedback or any help with something contact me, I'm glad to help and make this a better game.

EDIT: It's unrelated to these beta updates but the AI could use some improvement, mainly in the first corner of the race since they rarely cover the inside line and you can overtake many cars on the first corner

EDIT2: The grid position bug happens every time, no matter what the value is, my grid position is always 1st if I skip the qualifiers (next session). When I disable Qualify it seems to work fine. More things I noticed: sometimes the tabs don't work (session settings, the bottom tabs that are responsible for the side scroll); it would be nice to have a lap selector on the replays (similar to iracing); sometimes the race starts without force feedback (happens in the regular version as well); sometimes I have big freezes that cause me to crash (happens in the regular version as well) but this could be my graphics card. It shouldn't cause it to freeze though. I believe most of these problems are general but I always use VR.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    atomed, Emery and mesfigas like this.
  7. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

How is the new UI? And what's a guess when the new UI will be 1.0?

8. elbo

elbo Registered

Single player bug:
    When coming from multiplayer, the all tracks and cars does not work...you stay stuck with the cars in the multiplayer mod that you last participated in....unless i am doing something wrong

Emery likes this.
  9. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

The old UI is definitely on its last legs. Lots of double screen, flickering thing going. But damn the GT3's just have so much detail in the physics. I can have a real good time with them. But when I get into another sim and it is boring in comparison. Car slides off with a dead wheel and I'm like "WTF"? And this is why I didn't like GT3's

atomed likes this.
  10. JaNaoJanto

JaNaoJanto Registered

To when a new multiplayer base so that this sim does not be only ai racing and league racing?

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Should be this year. You can find some servers already though (not just leagues) it's just a bit of work and results vary.

atomed likes this.
  12. johndough247

johndough247 Registered

Let me start by saying I like the UI's approach very much, there's potential there...but there's a pretty big bug with car selection:

Say I want to drive the Porsche 911 RSR, I select it and get this screen:
    upload_2020-2-10_20-30-33.png

...but then say I don't want any opponents. Of course I could set AI drivers to 0, but I approached it by clearing them off the opponents list:
    upload_2020-2-10_20-34-44.png

But then this happens:
    upload_2020-2-10_20-35-31.png
    I can't choose a different car for myself at this point. If I click race, I still have the Porsche, but there's no way to change it. The only way to regain car selection again is to add cars back to the opponent list. So I do that, but this time I add a different make of car instead. I add the Camaro (again, as Opponents)...but this then changes my car to the Camaro too!
    upload_2020-2-10_20-38-42.png

Help?

atomed likes this.
  13. JaNaoJanto

JaNaoJanto Registered

But it needs to have a rating system. I think studio 397 are doing an awsome job but now instead of more tracks and cars center their efforts to multiplayer system and UI that still needs tweaks

atomed likes this.
  14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

A rating system has been planned. That should be part of what comes this year.

atomed likes this.
  15. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

That seems a bit optimistic... Do you seriously think the UI will reach 1.0 this year? My bet is that it will remain Beta for 2020 and then a couple of years after that to develop rating/multiplayer system.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Personally I think it's more likely we'll have some sort of competition infrastructure operational this year, than not. Whether that includes a rating system, and how widespread it is (in calculation, and use) is up for debate, though we're obviously only speculating anyway.

I would expect the existing UI system to be quite functional within a few months, allowing the competition stuff to be slowly uncovered. That's not to say the UI will be 'final' any time soon :p . But I'd really be disappointed if the UI-only work continued for another year, on top of all the foundation work that was done over the last 2-3 years. A large part of that work was done to make the UI easier to work with, so progress should be relatively quick.

Of course it's only an opinion, and it might be hopeful, but why not :D

bwana, Binny, Emery and 3 others like this.
  17. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

VR - the UI is giving my neck one hell of a workout. It's like standing too close and I have to constantly make big head movements to see one side of the screen and then the other...

...Is there some kind of VR FOV setting that I should know about (Rift) - the old UI can be seen edge-to-edge and I've reverted to that for now....

DrivingFast and Adrianstealth like this.
  18. Binny

Binny Guest

I honestly think the UI has been setup that it will never be finished it will always be able to be worked on to coincide with any future plans S397 has or to change things to suit the user's needs. I also think the comp system will be up and running in 2020.

19. pedro ramada

pedro ramada Registered

I don't know if anyone already report this but here i go:

So in the pages of the new UI, for example in the multiplayer page, or cars page or tracks... for us to go up and down in the page we go with the mouse on the little column on the right to click and be able to scroll up and down on the page... but if with the move of the mouse up and down if we move out of that little column the scroll movement stops... that is something that should be working from the begining... it's one of those basic windows or steam functions to scroll freely once we click it with the mouse! Hope for a fix soon.

Thanks.

20. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

That sounds like a resolution problem. It usually is best at 1080 (1920×1080) for VR but not sure about the new UI.