Latest Roadmap Update - January 2020

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Marcel Offermans, Jan 31, 2020.

1. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Really great to hear FCY issues are on a short list. I do hope that it is not just ovals part, but SC phase/rolling start on road courses. rF2 is the only sim with VR support that has SC implementation, and I really would like to see this aspect to be polished. For online, it would be nice to have human drivable SC, but really hope to see offline SC working correctly as well.

Actually, for road courses there are 2 main issues:
    * SC phase never terminates, or terminates few laps after SC left. Same issue with Rolling start lap, it sometimes does not go green after SC leaves.
    * Under SC phase, AI cars begin to race and do not hold assigned order. It might be that they are given instruction to take lap back, but it happens way too often, so I am not sure that is the case. Maybe, instruction to let guy behind pass would be helpful if he is indeed allowed to take lap back?

2. Yigit Yusuf Mutlu

Yigit Yusuf Mutlu Registered

Look at the acc new dlc content on steam, formr our country has great price, all package is 25-tl ( less than 5 usd) while only rf2 lemans cost 65-tl (more than 12 usd)
    And the dlc is on now no2 on top selling game on steam right now, rf2 devs should take some notes from it, both about pricing a content and polishing game fastly.
    Forget about that competition thing, focus on core gameplay things s397.

3. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I'll tell you how I see it. Only my 2 cents, no more no less. RF2 is currently the measure of all things realism and physics. Unfortunately the support leaves a lot to be desired. You have to be a lover and enthusiast to love rF2. I do it despite the fact that much of S397 is always ignored. Ok the focus is on the UI and the Competition System. Is OK for me. But what is not ok is that the paid DLCs simply cannot be completed. IT'S FRUSTRATING! In spite of that, I bought every content. Why? because it is almost unmatched in quality (apart from the shortcomings). With this philosophy, S397 clearly stands in its own way. Please S397 change that. Give your content the finish it deserves. Because actually you could be the masters in the Sim area .

4. kashif

kashif Registered

@Marcel Offermans

A long while ago, you mentioned that you'd be able to implement correct track temperatures and proper wet line racing. Can you give us any insight as to how far along this has come? My team mate was mentioning a post from 2017, where one of your team members said you guys were working on it and now it feels like it's all but disappeared.

5. Enoneado

Enoneado Registered

In conclusion or resuming: PLZ, a little bit of ORGANIZATION and planning to develop the game.

6. Binny

Binny Guest

@Marcel Offermans
    Just gone through a few of the latest comments and many others since being on the forum and also on other social pages. It seems the ppl want you to be more DETAILED & TRANSPARENT in what you are working on & what your future plans are, they dont expect to be told anything that has to be confidential until a certain time when you can let them know & if there is no info on a particular area advise them when there will be or if you have stopped and why. I think this is the only thing i can agree with most ppl on. My suggestion take it on board it might stop a lot of confusion and infighting. I also believe it will help promote rf2 in a much better way to the ppl that own it and others that are interested in buying RF2. A lot of developers are not transparent and dont listen and dont change when the community asks for better communication. We are here because we support you and only want your product to be the best it can be and that is a win win for everyone. Also glad to see you in here responding to questions as i see a lot of ppl say you get more info on discord. Look frwd to seeing your next roadmap.

7. Prodigy

Prodigy Registered

What's FCY?

8. Emery

Emery Registered

Full Course Yellow flag.

9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I think full course yellow, a HUGE issue in rF2, when you are running the AI.

For the moment it is recommended to put the rules to "none".

Prodigy likes this.
  10. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Exactly.

We must insist on this.

memoNo1 and Bernardo like this.
  11. Bernardo

Bernardo Registered

I find it very encouraging that developers say they are paying attention to user complaints. Please do not forget the problem of freezing. I stopped playing rF2 about six months ago because of that problem. But I look forward to it being solved. In fact, although the comparisons are odious, I just read the last Raceroom update note and found no less than 15 bugs fixed and no less than 20 updates between cars and tracks. And this happens less than 2 months since the previous update, which was also very large.

12. stonec

stonec Registered

Just because they don't acknowledge every bug on the forum doesn't mean they don't read the reports, as S397 have themselves mentioned. A lot of time from actual work will be taken away by fully addressing all community concerns. Rather than offering speculative answers about when bug X or feature X is addressed, it's more important IMO to just get them addressed. The roadmaps are also increasingly criticized and some people even confuse roadmaps for actual game updates. It's just a piece of text, now it seems people determine the fate of rF2 through some roadmap article somebody probably quickly wrote together :confused:.

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I agree some people associate roadmaps with build updates etc, though I don't know if the roadmaps are responsible for that or able to help counter it.

As far as giving information in the roadmap, I see two reason to give slightly more detailed information about what's currently being looked at, reviewed, and planned for the future: 1. existing players, aware of the various issues, can 'see' some progress or at least some planning being done, instead of silence. 2. potential new players (or newly new players, if I can mangle my english) have a better understanding of where the game's at (which, realistically, is WIP phase) rather than seeing only bright bubbly roadmaps talking about competitions, past events, and upcoming content and being unpleasantly surprised when they buy the game and find some features aren't fully fleshed out or working properly.

I have to say I think the roadmap can be both marketing and development. It doesn't need to be all grind, no one wants that really.

Oh, and that 'extra info' just needs to be like Marrs posted earlier in this thread, maybe half a quick rundown on what they're planning and half addressing common recent questions/complaints. Some people seem to think buying a game gives them a right to dictate how it's developed, or even make demands on content etc. It's just a game, so if you need more than high level information either make your own game or work your way onto the rF2 team and discuss it properly.

14. Bernardo

Bernardo Registered

It is not that we confuse a roadmap with a build update. It is that due to the sepulchral silence of the developers, some of us still hope to see some word that addresses the issue of the bug that torments us so much and that prevents us from enjoying this wonderful simulator.

I am one of those who intervene very little in the forums. But when I saw that S397 commented that they were going to look at AI problems, I got excited and I came up with the fanciful idea that one day we can see a build update with good news about bug fixes that have been present for so many years.

So, yes, road map means "map" that shows us a way, to get somewhere. Unfortunately, the road that S397 is showing us lately, only leads to eSports, and I think that many of us are not interested in that route.

memoNo1 likes this.
  15. Binny

Binny Guest

dont need acknowledgement of every BUG.
    Maybe a new look roadmap like the new UI i was thinking more on the lines of info on these
    graphics
    core
    cars
    tracks
    physics
    bugs
    UI
    comp system
    modding
    a little info on these if any they have at the time, what they are doing, if they have stopped work on anything, any new updates, or future plans they can tell us ect...
    It's just a piece of text, now it seems people determine the fate of rF2 through some roadmap article somebody probably quickly wrote together :confused:. Considering thats our major source of whats going on from S397 i find that a stupid comment, if not and im stupid where do i get info about what they are doing other than the roadmap ? what check here everyday or discord searching for s397 posts ?

memoNo1 and R.Noctua like this.
  16. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

I think adding some section about modding would actually be a great idea to showcase what the community is working on in the roadmaps. For games like ArmA III or Squad there are blogs called "community radar" or "the wrench" with a nice selection of user created content, from videos, trailers, screenshots to 3rd party content. I think this would also give a nice exposure for rF2 as a modding platform. I read so often that modding in rF2 is dead, but there is hardly enough time to use and try all the third party content and it would in some way silence those critics. Even if it is just a headsup to take a look in the section with 3rd party skins, because there is a lot of work just not getting noticed besides a small fraction of users in this forum and I somewhat doubt that you would run into legal issues with that.

There is no racing sim that offers better mod distribution support and management within the game for the end user, yet it feels like this point is handled like some common thing. You could even showcase how it is integrated in the new UI, wich is pretty remarkable from my POV. I also think that the whole UI topic got handled a bit half hearted. There are some things that work much better allready than the old UI or the often mentioned CM in AC or the first iteration of the AMS2 interface, but you don't advertise or showcase it. The whole modular weekend setup integration with the ability to scroll vertical and horizontal is pure blizz and everyone who has setup a race weekend in any other sim should know this. :)

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Some people definitely do. ("Hopefully this gets fixed with the next roadmap" to paraphrase a recent example)

The last roadmap discussed a particular upcoming event, which is esports, and it's not the first time. It doesn't mean it's all they're looking at doing, and there has been some indication of that in the past, but recently they haven't mentioned progress on that. That's exactly why we're asking for a little more development information to go along with the marketing stuff.

18. tlsmikey

tlsmikey Registered

@Marcel Offermans

I think some of the frustration is simple bugs like the one I reported more than a year ago.
    https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/porsche-gt3-steering-wheel.62152/#post-974016

I like a lot of people paid for the GT3 pack, jumped in the Porsche and noticed immediately that the yellow stripe on the steering wheel was never modeled. It looks like it was supposed to be there because there's a cutout for it (pic in the link), but it's been missing. It's a very simple fix that's been ignored for a very long time and it makes players like myself feel like you'd rather try and push additional DLC than fix simple things you've already released.

S397 needs to rebuild trust with the community that you are committed to providing a finished product, otherwise I think future DLC and users are going to decline.

R.Noctua, TJones, EsxPaul and 3 others like this.