GT3 BOP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Jan 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OTL_YT105

OTL_YT105 Registered

In what way? GT3 is one of the most thriving classes in road racing, while GTE is one that is not likely to be around in five years.

Will Mazeo likes this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

GTE WAS the most popular for the past 15 or so years.(in it's various forms) The Ferrari/Corvette battles of the early 2000's, Porche, Vipers, Beemers, etc. GT2/GTE/GTLM was the home of manufacturers. Not any longer. 9 different brands are committing to the GT3 IGTC. I thought Stephane Ratel was going in the wrong direction when he proposed the Blancpain GT3 series. Guess I was wrong.

3. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Driving GT3 cars is akin to driving a train on tracks. They simply are too easy to handle and therefore boring for me. Why anyone needs ABS or TC on them confuses me.

Group C cars are a thing of the past now but I still love and race them. So is the historic F1 cars... and I still drive them too. :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    OdeFinn likes this.
  4. OTL_YT105

OTL_YT105 Registered

Well, in real life the idea is that they are created for customer racing. They want to make the cars fast, but also more predictable for amateur drivers to handle. I understand your sentiment, but that said my end goal is good racing and since everyone has the same options on their cars it does not bother me. In fact you can be faster running low TC and ABS so if you can handle the car in all circumstances running like that then just let the other people disadvantage themselves with TC and drive by. GTE is boring to me with a lack of car options, and always never racing for overall wins (I believe the two GT only races on the IMSA calendar are the only races with true GTE as the top class world wide?) take away from this class for me.

5. AMillward

AMillward Registered

You can turn them off if it bothers you that much...

6. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I love the S397 GT3.

But I only use them :

- Without any electronic help.
    - By halving the rear aerodynamics (p6 for p12 or p2 for p5.
    - Hard tires.

With the help, there is absolutely no challenge, I don't see the point.

It is a shame that electronic aids exist in motorsport (IRL), a shame. LOL, just my opinion :)

GoldenBear likes this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Without the aids, you don't get the participation of the Daddy Big-Bucks drivers who have been fueling the surge in GT3 cars. But I get your point. Lately I've been focusing on the Whoochoo's 67 Endurance mod and the GPL-like 67 F1 mod. No assists there!

GoldenBear likes this.
  8. Stevy

Stevy Registered

If GT3s are boring you're not fast enough ;)

Ernie, memoNo1 and AMillward like this.
  9. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Don't get the "I have to drive without assists" thing. If I'm going to go faster with them on, I'm turning them on.

10. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

GT3 = Easy to drive, but difficult to master at the limit!

R.Noctua likes this.
  11. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Another one of your not well thought out one liners? lol

12. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

I have heard that nonsensical line before and it makes no sense.

Russell lowe likes this.
  13. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

AIDS kills. :p

OdeFinn and memoNo1 like this.
  14. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Nope, this isn't nonsensical...Even with driving aids, a GT3 car can be very special on the limit, most of them have clear differences in behaviour on the edge. Also a good balanced GT3 field is just competitive and delivers good fighting, if the drivers are fast enough to get the full potential out of it. In many GT3 series ONE tenth decides for 10 positions...doesn't sound boring at all to me.^^ So they'e indeed very interesting, when driven closely to their limits.

It's true, that drivers haven't to be fast as hell, to have good GT3 action (SRO GT Sports Club for example)
    But on a higher level, when the real edge of tyre grip comes into play:
    If the drivers aren't able to get something out of a car that "peaks", for example, you will not have an advantage and it's the ol' choo choo train or no effort in fighting on track at all because of gaps between drivers are too high, but it turns into another situation, if the driver adapts quicky, notices a difference in pace and corners to the opponent, that also is on a decent level and uses the right moments to gain time, especially when your tyres start working properly and are breaked in properly.^^

These cars start already to get very interesting, when driven at least 1-2 seconds close to the edge on 3-5 Km.

memoNo1 likes this.
  15. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Ultimately it is the case that every racing car has its justification. And at the absolute limit, they are all a challenge. Much like our wives at home in marriage ..:cool:

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Any time someone says a car has heaps of grip or is on rails, either in real life or in a game, there's someone who doesn't understand how a grip limit works.

17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

A MetalMoro AJR on the Nordschleife has heaps of grip and goes like on rails :p
    scnr :D
    What are you referring to, right now?

GoldenBear likes this.
  18. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

For me it is the overall feel of GT3 cars that simply are too grippy for me. It is for that reason being why I heavily dislike the Tatuus cars as well.

Australian V8 Supercars are one of many favourites I race in rF2. To go from the Supercar to the GT3 feels like going from fast to soso and poor grip to too much grip for me. I keep trying them with the Porsche being my favourite but quickly bore of them in a handful of laps.

It is great to have them for those who want them but GT3 will never be my cup of tea. :)

19. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Aha! But some like me just said no to marriage. :)

memoNo1 likes this.
  20. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Spoilers (wings) should be tossed as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.