Oreca 07 LMP2 - how to launch it "properly" or better... ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by muz_j, Jan 17, 2020.

1. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Hi All,

This is a bit of simple question, but I just decided to purchase the Endurance Pack last night as it was still on sale on Steam and I was keen on the new LMP 2 car - the Oreca 07. I've tried it out a bit and the new LMP 3 car and I'm very happy with them in general.

...but in my few first sessions with the Oreca LMP 2 car I found the car always bogs down like crazy off the line (I did 3 or 4 short 3 lap races around Nurburgring, playing offline with AI and using the Enduracer's LMP 2 cars, along with the Oreca for opponent cars.).

I typically use the Auto-clutch feature in the game, along with other racing sim's I play. Mainly because I'm too lazy to teach myself how to use the manual clutch properly (I'm a motorcyclist in real life and you use it a bit differently on bikes to cars). The only other driver aids I use (typically, but not always) are ABS set to low and traction control set to low too.

I've tried hold full throttle and letting it launch, which results in it bogging down to really low rev's, so then I kick / slip the clutch (pedal) a couple of times and help it get going, then it's all fine.
    I have also tried to find the right "sweet spot" in the rev range to let the car launch nicely, but still the rev's just drop to nothing when the lights go green, which means I resort to using the clutch pedal again.

>>> So how am I supposed to launch this car correctly ?
    1) do I need to use a manual clutch to get it to launch correctly ?
    2) should I just clutch kick / clutch slip it off the line as I have been doing and try to improve how I do it ?
    3) rFactor 2 does have some sort of launch control feature too - but I haven't used to to date and I've read some comments that it's quite basic / simple.
    Should I be using launch control on this car ?

4) any advice or suggestions are welcome, I'm really just looking for a quick tip from someone who is familiar with this car, as this is my only niggle so far and I really like it's handling and performance.

Thanks.

Instant replay clip from one of my races earlier today.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Narrowbackwing and muz_j like this.
  3. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Thanks Lazza - I'll read the thread.
    I did do a search before posting, but searched using the keyword "Oreca" and didn't find anything that related to my question, but it sounds like it's a known issue.
    I was actually just having another lap in that car at Le Mans and I'm finding if I "play" with the clutch a bit on take-off it helps at lot. It's kind of like clutch slipping a 2 stroke motorcycle (which i've had a lot of experience with), which is what I was wondering if I had to do.

Anyway - I'll read that thread you linked to in full - cheers!

Narrowbackwing and Lazza like this.
  4. J0E

J0E Registered

I've been driving the Oreca almost exclusively since it came out and starting from a standstill is horrible. I've qualified in P1 and been in 8th place by the time I reached the first corner. Someone said using the clutch was the solution, but it made no difference. I, too, found that dicking with the clutch improved takeoff but it was still horrible. To me it's like starting out in top gear rather than first.

5. alexSchmurtz

alexSchmurtz Registered

This car is made for rolling start, so it has a rather long first gear. Not intended to do standing start, it will always be sluggish.

6. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Registered

You shouldn't be using driver aide TC in the Oreca.
    TC in this car should be adjusted in garage (and, in car on track...you can map buttons for it)

Move TC to 0 and the car takes off just fine (and, it can/will get out from under you if you get in it too hard too quick)
    Default TC in this car is relatively high, and it'll bog like crazy if you try to start from standing with TC (logical)

Side note: It's essential to understand the difference between the driver aide TC and the TC (or ABS) available in the garage (and on the fly, if the car you're driving allows this)
    Seems it's still widely misunderstood.

"This car is made for rolling start, so it has a rather long first gear. Not intended to do standing start, it will always be sluggish."

But it's not sluggish (if you turn the TC off)
    It's TC limiting the wheel spin, not much mystery to why it bogs down....and while long, first gear in this car has plenty of torque at low revs to move this car along just fine.

Just because a car is 'no designed for standing starts' (especially a fairly powerful machine like this) doesn't mean it won't spin the wheels up from standing start.

I put about 20 hours a week in this car...I assure you, it takes off from standing just fine (if you turn the TC off)

:)

makan and muz_j like this.
  7. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

Yeah. Sure. Car that weighs just above 900 kg, has NA engine with aprox 600 HP and rather respectable torque with it being NA, no issues with turbo lag and not linear torque curve will bog down and be sluggish in 1st gear when even with Le Mans gearbox it reaches limiter in 1st at 130-140 kph... Riiiiight.

I've driven cars that weigh 2x that and have lower power that even if you give it half beans will go like a burnt rabbit and essentially a flea-weight car with more grunt and not that long 1st gear will bog down and be sluggish. Sth doesn't add up here, don't you agree?

8. Jason Whited

Jason Whited Registered

What doesn't add up is some saying the car bogs no matter what is done to combat it.....completely overlooking the onboard TC (that is, IIRC, set at a default value of '6')

Turn the TC to 0....if you cannot launch the car properly at that point, it's something you're doing wrong....certainly not the car (as indicated by the fact some have no issue launching the thing) :rolleyes:

9. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

I drive with TC0 often and with 1 or 2 in race trims most of the time. TC has it's own issues which I won't go into details right now for the sake of the topic (talking about it and explaining things in detail would consume a lot of space and unless we switch to topic of TC solely, I won't touch it). Engine behaves as if someone borked flywheel.

10. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Some of us have been saying that since the LM24hr BOP.

GoldenBear and Ronnie like this.
  11. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Wrong. The car has plenty of power to spin in first gear.

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

One note for Mus, there IS no launch control available in the Oreca 07(the sim car that is) Fuel Mixture and Traction control are the only options. As noted above. Set the TC in the garage to Zero. Then use the keys/buttons assigned to TC to increase or decrease from the cockpit. I just tried a couple of starts after setting TC to zero with the wheel button. One was acceptable, but the next bogged down and stalled. Neither time did I get wheel spin.(using a clutch btw). Granted, a limited number of tests, but neither time did I feel confident I was going to pull away smoothly.(Standard car, soft tires)

13. muz_j

muz_j Registered

Thanks a million. I'll give that a try very soon.
    I have been very close to disabling the Traction control driver aid for a while to be honest and probably ABS too, as I typically don't like them in a couple of other racing sim's I play, but I guess a couple of the cars I enjoy driving in rFactor 2 are a bit more challenging for me, in terms of keeping them under control (70's, 80's and 90's F1 cars mainly).
    But I'll bite the bullet and get rid of both and see how I get on. I should really pull my finger and get rid of auto-clutch too, but I'll save that for later, as too much in one go is likely to end in lots of crashes.

14. muz_j

muz_j Registered

@Jakal
    Thanks again for your advice. I disabled in game TC (and ABS) and that was a big improvement. Much, much easier to get a decent start.
    Much appreciated :)

Jason Whited likes this.
  15. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

3 places to check to ensure TC is disabled.
    1st: In the menus, choose difficulty. Click on the Traction Control and disable.
    2nd: In the Setup find the TC setting and either set to zero or disable
    3rd: In the car, verify no TC by adjusting it with the keys or buttons you have assigned to TC. Remember after moving it up and down, you leave it at Zero.(don't worry, you can turn it up after the start)

You should see markedly easier launches when all three are disabled.
    as soon as you are underway, goose it up to your level of comfort.

16. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Why should we need a workaround for this? S397 need to get off their butts and fix this! The suggestions make no difference as I use tc limiter on race starts and still it bogs down almost to a stall.

17. Stefan_L_01

Stefan_L_01 Registered

Go racing online, all other suffer the same (in case you want to call it suffer).
    Lmp2 is one car in one class, one of the most fair competition online - compared to gt3, gte with various balanced STINT Performances.
    Forget AI

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There is nothing in my suggestion that is a work-around. It is a procedure to improve your starts. I'm pretty dang sure there are lots of procedures, right down to how the engine is warmed prior to an initial start-up. It is a path. That's all. (trust me, I've been shouting on your side this entire time but those steps ensure power robbing driver aids are temporarily turned off.)

19. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

You do know there is a TC Limiter in the controls I hope. I use that on race starts to defeat all TC. I tried your suggestion but with tc turned off in the car and difficulty ta made no difference, the car almost stalls.

20. GoldenBear

GoldenBear Registered

Seriously?

Ronnie likes this.