OK, what has happened to rF2?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Nov 27, 2019.

1. kashif

kashif Registered

The point from when they "address" the issue to when they resolve the issue could be years, quite literally, at the pace this team is moving at the moment.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

In the sim sense, I see inertia as the resistance to internal rotation, followed by the resistance to reduce that rotation once the throttle is off. Each slows the progression from low rpms to high and delays the return to zero rpm again once the throttle is lifted. We are not talking glaciers here, as noted in several places, these are high revving low mass fast spinning engines, but they are not electric motors. Through the production of HP, an engine has to overcome mechanical drag and then once spinning, the inertia contributes to rpms remaining high for a BRIEF period of reduction. Not that the engine is forced to stay plateaued at a certain rpm, just that the drop from high revs to low is slowed almost microscopically.

The argument several have made here is that the engines move too quickly through the rev range in both directions AND this 'MAY' also contribute to the handling issues experienced drivers noted almost immediately.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@davehenrie resistance to a change - that's all inertia can ever be in a physics sense. It got called out early and is reaching some mythical status despite the revs not rising any faster in rF2 than in other games. This speculative diagnosis is worthless, and actually makes things worse because people start warping how the game works so their theory works.

The behaviour overall was questioned, S397 said it was noted, and that's about the extent of it.

4. J7166

J7166 Registered

Being dismissive of the large issues with these cars that have had the passionate users of this game trying their best to get the studio to even acknowledge them for 6 months certainly isn't helping either. 6 months is a long time for this to go on and people are frustrated. If they have a problem with the speculating on the issues, maybe they shouldn't take so long to repair them

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I was quite clear on focusing on the "engine inertia" topic. More than half the ensuing discussion has become side arguments about whether it's really an inertia problem, what inertia does, and what the game does with inertia (which, because people are trying to bolster their argument, starts to warp the truth and makes rF2 seem worse than it is from a physics standpoint).

I'm not suggesting criticisms should be dismissed, I just think users should concentrate on using, rather than utilising their sometimes limited knowledge of the game to try and find solutions they can't prove.

In the same way I can easily suggest 6 months isn't that long for an issue to exist in rF2. That's not saying it's ok, it's just a reminder of how things are.

6. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

So besides BOP there weren't any fixes for GTEs so far?

Edit: anyone has good tips how to reduce entry and mid, corner oversteer at higher speeds?
    Corvette has such oversteer that's hard to recover from.

Besides lowering tire pressures, increasing rear wing, what would help?
    From what I found on various tutorials so far:
    - Reduce rear spring rate (160N/mm)
    - Reduce rear ARB (not sure if it applies to high speed, mid corner oversteer)
    - Increase rear toe in(same)
    - Move brake bias to front(allows harder trail braking without oversteer)
    - Increase rear damper fast and slow rebound

I'm also not about last one as I think I've also read rear bump and rebound should be lowered when oversteering (at least fast bump and rebound).

Also is "rear damper compression stiffness" setting the same as slow and fast bumps in GTEs?

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  7. J7166

J7166 Registered

I've found on high speed tracks like LeMans, spa etc the rear springs and damper on especially the M8 and the Corvette I have to go super soft.... Which maybe is the same as IRL, but seems backwards to me. When I think of high speed, high load corners it's seems stiffer would be better but doesn't seem to work that way on rf2. That's about the only advice I can offer. I usually like to setup my cars to ride real stuff but it doesn't work very well that way since the BoP

8. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Reducing rear springs stiffness is often and “consistently” advised to reduce oversteer. and yeah it looks like it’s working in rF2. Also lowering ride height should work. But Ive read such combination is not good idea for bumpy tracks(I.e. bottoming ). Regarding dampers, As I’ve said I’ve read somewhere lowering rear fast bump and rebound can also reduce oversteer(on uneven turns I guess). But then saw that increasing rebound can help.
    Anyway the changes I mentioned helped. Especially moving brake bias forward is simple change that significantly reduced corner entry oversteer. The BMW is now much more stable. Will try similar settings changes for Corvette.

9. kashif

kashif Registered

I think this thread deserves a bump, given the current circumstances.

Marisa likes this.
  10. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Take this for what it is but in corner entry then it often helps if the car wants to over-steer on braking increase the coast lock setting.

And as a more general comment then if the REAR is lacking grip (slides more than the front) then it is settings influencing the REAR that has to be changed.
    Not settings lowering grip in the FRONT.
    This general attitude conserning setups can be seen elaborated here:
    http://srmz.net/index.php?showtopic=6439

11. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I've been out of the loop, what this in relation too?

12. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

Have you tried the adjusting the differential? Either that or the brake bias if none of the suspension stuff helps.

Edit: Nevermind, seems you already adjusted brakes and someone suggest "coast" setting adjustment (which is the diff).

13. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Coast and power settings are locked for "BoP" reasons.

14. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Then its a bit difficult to follow Nielsens advice - I admit :)
    But maybe some of the general advices in the link can help reducing the oversteer.

15. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks, yes, brake bias helped a lot with corner entry oversteer like you'd expect.

16. UGM 133A

UGM 133A Registered

That's weird, is that realistic? I mean, is that a thing for this race series in real life?

17. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Probably not, the reason behind these settings being locked is the BOP. It's easier to find a setting and lock it rather than a range of settings.
    For few days the Corvette GTE had these settings unlocked (before the official 24h race, until they locked it again) and it was great.

J7166 likes this.
  18. J7166

J7166 Registered

Seems like having that unlock could help with the handling issues currently plaguing that car...and the M8

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

One thing that USED to work with rF1 & GTR2, was including a setup in the car folder that had values for the locked items. So possibly try making a setup and marking it as the default automatically loaded. Then use a text editor to add or edit the lines for the diff. I have no idea if that would work in rF2.

J7166 likes this.
  20. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Haha Dave that sounds like the sidestepping a few of the setup restrictions in NR2003 where you could enable a certain setup param in as example a Toyota and then rename the filename so it became accepted in the Sauber.
    This "finetuning" was often considered smart but slightly ahemm :)

davehenrie likes this.