RF2 Massive performance increase for free!

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Paul McC, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Holy fricken Hell, WOW! I am no longer stuck with racing only 10 cars at Le Mans at daytimes in dry weather with all graphics settings low, low res and no AA. Now racing 14 cars with several graphics options turn back up 3x AA at night, day, raining or dry!

Have I bought a slightly better graphics card? No, infact ive spent no money at all!

What did I do... Finally did my free upgrade from Win7 to Win10! That’s it! Feck me the performance increase in Rfactor is amazing! Not only that but I tried a silly test and stuck 27 Cars at Le Mans and ok the FPS went down to 11 to 15, but it was consistent NO STUTTERS! Stutters are gone!

Holy muthafudging Hell if you’re reading this, you love RF2 and you’re on Win7 UPGRADE TO WIN 10! It’s still free! I honestly feel like I’ve had a graphics card update!

2. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

Welcome in 2015!! :D

dylbie, bwana, The Iron Wolf and 2 others like this.
  3. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Its fantastic!:p

4. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Im allways a bit on guard when people use anecdotal evidence as proof.
    To the best of my knowledge Win10 is not a complete other animal than Win7.
    It is more or less based on Win7-8.
    Question: Does your anecdotal evidence cover other games than rF2?
    Or is it only rF2 that get this massive performance increase?

I have to say that my monthly IT bible PCGamesHW a few years back concluded that some games were (slightly) faster on Win10 but others were (slightly) faster on Win7.
    Absolute none of the tested games was MASSIVE faster or slower on the 2 Windows incarnations.

5. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

It was a long time ago so I don't remember very well, but I saw at the time an improvement in performance by going from W7 to W10 in rF2.

6. Marisa

Marisa Registered

Not a sim but STRAFE had frequent stutters on my i7 GTX1080 PC, I tried everything and could never get rid of them. When I upgraded to Win10 it was smooth as butter.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I tend to agree, we don't know the condition of his W7 install. He might have seen the same or similar boost in performance just wiping the hard drive and re-installing Win7. However as support for Win7 is ending soon, many of those who resisted W10 may have to make the move.

Nielsen likes this.
  8. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Yeah thats also the thought I got about the "massive" thing.
    I consider it on the same level as an often seen critique of a game that is suddenly running badly on a persons puter: Absolutely no issues running other games.
    Then a week after the same guy are telling "that the problem suddenly solved itself".

Note: The reason I call it "anecdotal evidence" is not in any way to patronize the postulate. But that is the common description for such subjective "evidence".

9. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Anecdotal eh! Sod it, wish id never posted!, yeah its only RF2 i ran after updating, im not giving you a guide on all your games, just trying to help those running RF2. How the feck is it anecdotel! If im wrong im sorry, just trying to help!

10. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Seven Smiles likes this.
  11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

English lessons from a Dane :D

Nielsen likes this.
  12. Nielsen

Nielsen Registered

Hehe I had to google the exact spelling in english :)
    Because in danish it is called anekdotisk bevis.
    Where "bevis"(evidence) is mostly used slightly ironic :)

13. stonec

stonec Registered

With upgrade to Windows 10 I bet the GPU driver version also changed, which is at least as likely reason for the improvement as OS change. For example, rF2 used to have a big PCIe bus bottleneck, but some Nvidia driver release from a year ago mysteriously fixed this and now PCIe usage is down to 2-3% on my rig. Especially if you had an older PC with PCIe 2.0, this driver fix alone would bring a large improvement.

Paul McC and DrivingFast like this.
  14. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Salve mate! Congrats on your use of the english language, I prefer not to postulate as I do not believe Windows 10 has improved my RF2 performance, I don't need to, it has, fact! Whilst I agree this may be local to my machine and may not work for others it absolutely has for me. I like to try and help others where I can and thought I would share my experience in good nature, did'nt imagine for one second that it would become an exercise in pedantry is'nt that ironic! I suppose this just shows my short sighted ignorance in'it! Sure there are some language forums in which folks would swarm like wasps around this around this superfluous exercise in sarcasm but, I thought this was the RF2 forum, no?

Nielsen likes this.
  15. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Always keep my GFX drivers up to date so im not sure about that but, what ever the reason im pleased as punch, its the biggest leap forward ive had in RF2 since my last card update, not that as soon as ive got the funds im not gunna go out and by a better card to further boost my enjoyment of course

16. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

I noticed that Win 10 has a gaming mode, thought that might have something to do with the performance increase