[WIP] Jaguar XJ13 1967

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by mantasisg, Nov 26, 2018.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Release time, this time I am very proud, still quite a way to go, but I am very hapy about how things are going forward.

Whats in it ?
    • Animated driver. I've got it from @Bozak, it was really awesome surprise, thank you !
    • Improved shading and textures.
    • New tires (.tgm files).
    • New geometry (chassis.ini file).
    • Massively rebuilt base physics (.hdv file).
    • New AI tire (.tbc file).
    The most of past year I spent working on improving cars for 1954 and 1967 endurance cars sets, these and especially 1967 cars has gone very well together with Jaguar XJ13, which in fact originally was supposed to race then against those very same cars. Since I have started playing with modding for rFactor I have learned a lot about the graphics side of modding, and especially the physics side. I have done some mistakes, but learning from those and with help of other community members and finding useful information and glueing pieces together leads to better and better results and more confidence.

I think the car drives pretty well now, although some may find it slightly challenging that tires are rather quick to switch from sliding to non-sliding phases, but i think it is alright, I can drive the car over the limit lap after lap so IMO it is not unbelievable, furthermore, such behaviour uncovers many dynamics that can be observed from real life, and I can not think of anything what car does that would seem truly off right now. But of course, if you don't find something convincing, or realistic enough for your perception, then please provide constructive feedback on it, I would love to discuss these things in mature way. Also if you like the car and agree with it, then let me know as well, so I can stay sane. Thank you. And your welcome.

The Jaguar XJ13 v0.3 for rFactor 2
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/p1vdwakf794qss0/jaguar_XJ13_0.3.rfcmp/file

Some screens
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

atomed, Churrinche, jimagn and 29 others like this.
  2. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

That's great news! Can't wait to try it tonight! Thanks!!:)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    pkelly likes this.
  3. Duncan

Duncan Registered

4. Emery

Emery Registered

I tried it for a few laps and it's almost there. Mind you, this is just a shallow impression and I didn't even try changing the default setup. Brake lockup happens a little too easily, I think, like the max pedal force is too high. A bit of weird feeling at the limit with the tires; sorry, I'll need to test more in-depth to better describe it. Seems like the skin color has shifted too blue, particularly when overcast.
    [​IMG]
    upload_2020-1-17_11-8-52.png

vegaguy5555, GPNeville and memoNo1 like this.
  5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am picky with brake myself, I think it could use slightly less pressure with non load cell pedals, I use T3PA pedals with that default rubber bushing. I don't remember if setup allows you to reduce the pressure, if it does then I guess there is no problem. Also flatspotting is quite forgiving in rF2 for quite a while.

Tire limit will feel weird for most at the beginning. Should get used quickly to it, though it requires more concentration and quicker inputs than lazy sliding tires. I don't know how many simracers tend to spend time to get used to anything instead of just trying, but I hope some will see how it actually works pretty well.

True about colour it looks a tone blueish, but I think it is close to how it should look at very bright sunlight with bright blue sky. I don't think that in your picture it is trully overcast, I find that in rF2 it either takes a lot of cloudy weather time to actually change into truly overcast lighting or is it just inconsistent somehow. Speaking of inconsistencies, I notice that reflections for my car does not work the same in all tracks, some tracks seem like they entirely lacks reflections for cars, some feels very reduced, and the rest feels fine, and that is important because reflections also affect car colour quite a lot. Also real life pictures has so different colours, I have many XJ13 pictures and with plenty different colours observable, so it is challenging.

Here is indoors picture with flash on, and colour appears blueish with this intense light. The colour really is in a middle of green and blue for this car. With bright blueish sky it would slightly more blueish.
    [​IMG]

But the colour of this car is forever going quest, and I don't expect it to end, but personally I am happy with current one, PS I found it much easier to get pleasing results in rF2, even if they may still be not perfect. I really think the lighting and shading in rF2 is pretty good to be able to achieve reasonably realistic colours for various lighting scenarios, you don't have to compromise one lighting for the other, can have both.

atomed and jimagn like this.
  6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Few more screenshots, because why not.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

atomed, Churrinche, Prodigy and 12 others like this.
  7. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

It's just an beautiful car

pkelly likes this.
  8. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

I need to spend more time with her, but she's already fun! ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jimagn, pascom, Duncan and 4 others like this.
  9. tjc

tjc Registered

WooHoo! Nice one @mantasisg :cool:

Many thanks for this. Will try asap. :)

10. walken

walken Registered

Great work @mantasisg !!!!!
    Tested on a Sergio Loro historical track (Sandevoerde_67) , wow, it so lovely !!! Some troubles with brakes (i must brake before !!!!) but a very nice car to drive !!! Thank you a lot for this little trasure !!!

Mexxx

11. woochoo

woochoo Registered

That does look like a pretty good representation of that blue/green from the photo, but i'd also like to see the more traditional darker/greener british racing green.
    So, I ask, any plans for more paints, soon or sometime later? :D
    a couple of Jag paint references:
    upload_2020-1-19_10-20-59.png <<--64-68 & 1968-->> 2020-01-19_10h18_42.jpg
    https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_swatch_jaguar_1968A
    https://www.uniquecarsandparts.com.au/colour_swatch_jaguar_1968
    A few options there, and should be more visually interesting for a single-make XJ13 race :)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
    pascom, Corti and Duncan like this.
  12. Duncan

Duncan Registered

this one...

TJones and pkelly like this.
  13. Corti

Corti Registered

pascom, pkelly and keith_d like this.
  14. pkelly

pkelly Registered

@mantasisg - I am in love with this beautifully crafted vehicle. Mucho gracias for all your efforts. I think your artistic choice of colour also enhances her beauty. A few more colours, as suggested by woochoo, would add to the quality of the driving experience

15. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I will pay more attention to main color and some more colors in future. I am not too much of a skin maker though, literally I have no capability of making skins :D The car had several nice skins in the past, done by NightEye... but I messed it up a bit by mesh modifications that were unresistable to make.

Glad you guys find yourselves havign a good time.

pkelly and Corti like this.
  16. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

I love that car.
    That's it.

17. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Please give the car the update it deserves.
    A working rev counter. I usually always turn off the hud. And maybe a few more skins would do the car good. Otherwise, I love this car. Thanks again.

18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I am quite busy, and the fact that I use blender makes it quite complicated, and I can not do anything quickly. And even more so, I recently moved to blender 2.8, Travellers add-on is for 2.79 (which is absolutely essential tool for me). I could do some small adjustments for colour, and give more colours and maybe some skins for it, but I don't feel like rushing anything, I am also not a fan of small tiny updates, unless it is absolutely necessary fix.

pkelly, memoNo1 and zxd1997 like this.
  19. jimagn

jimagn Registered

Excellent work! Thank you for returning to this project. Any chance it will get to the Workshop?

20. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I hope some day, can't see it happening soon.