Allow plugins to draw to screen

Discussion in 'User Interface and HUD Modding' started by Martin Vindis, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Ever since the move to DX11 plugins haven't been allowed to draw to screen. In the early days you guys said you were going to allow this but it's been years now and I haven't heard a word about it since.
    I (and probably many others) am missing some really good plugins that were made by community using this feature.
    Has it been forgotten about or is it still a plan to make this happen?

Benito Gil and Emery like this.
  2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

just to be clear, getting the plugins displayed on screen will take more than just 'allowing' the old plugins. Each plugin will have to be re-coded from the ground up. You are correct that S397 stated their goal was to allow plugins to draw to the screen, but they gave no time-table.
    The single biggest roadblock AFTER S397 will be the actual plugin authors. How many are still active? How many are motivated? How many will take the time to learn the new methods required?

3. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

As the author of V-HUD, I'm ready to learn whenever S397 are ready. Pretty sure you don't have to rewrite all the code, just the part where it draws to screen. All the calculations should still be the same.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I'm being a little fussy with wording here, but you're overstating the work required there Dave. Yes, obviously, existing plugins would need the author and their code, but it's not a complete rewrite and the graphical methods may not be difficult at all - especially if S397 provide a decent interface for it.

Anyway, I'm sure this is still on the table, but presumably this is somewhere below adding features, fixing bugs, improving some graphical stuff, changing the existing HUD system, finalising the UI, improving single player elements, ...

davehenrie likes this.
  5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Isn't the next HUD system HTML like the UI? That's where you'll be able to customize, right?

6. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Now that you mention it I do recall S397 saying that was the plan. But haven't heard anything about it for ages so I'm wondering if it's going to happen at all.
    They also said you'd be able to race against cars you don't own so you wouldn't have to buy cars you're not interested in driving, would love to see that happen before they push more DLCs out but that's a topic for another thread I guess.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Then they are selling something that is completely unprotected vs any of the rights holders. Good luck.

8. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

What are you on about, Dave?
    It works in iRacing, doesn't it?

Martin Vindis likes this.
  9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I don't know Bjorn, I grew up when Nascar Racing was new(the sim) and we could not have Daytona because Sony or somebody had the rights, We couldn't even have the modded 3rd-party-not-for-sale Volusia Raceway, because it was the same shape as the protected Daytona. We couldn't have the Group C mod because even though permission had been given to the modders, when the source code was sold back to the iRacing team, they revoked the permission. (eventually, with some changes it was released)
    So for S397 to SELL something without any agreements, just seems opening themselves up to those nasty lawyers.

10. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Sounds like we have misunderstanding here @davehenrie. I didn't mean they should start selling cars they don't have a licence for, that would be illegal idd. What I meant was that if I want to participate in a GT3 race online I should only have to buy the car I use and not all of them.

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  11. Bjørn

Bjørn Registered

What do you mean with no agreements???

People are talking about racing in a GT3 series... Wanting to race in for instance a Mercedes AMG GT GT3 - buying that - as in singular... Having to compete against McLaren 720S GT3, but without having to pay for that particular car, because you have no intentions of driving it...

Reiteration; Instead of having to buy a complete pack, buy one car - but still join servers that hosts races with the entire pack - but only being able to select and race the car you've bought.

With us now? :)

Vance Le Garde likes this.
  12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

LOL, Crossed threads....just ignore this old fart...sorry

13. lagg

lagg Registered

If i remember correctly they said that, they will begin to develop the new overlay system, after the UI is finished.
    Yes? It sounds to me that Marcel said the opposite in the Big Interview in RD.

14. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Thank you, this was the information I was looking for.

You're right, they did said that in the RD interview but I'm fairly sure they said the opposite prior to that. Can't remember where and when thou, discord rings a bell but don't quote me on that.

15. lagg

lagg Registered

Ah, OK, i didn't know i don't use to be on discord

16. TheGame316

TheGame316 Registered

I don't believe it was ever stated(even as far back as ISI times). I asked the question during the RD interview and got the answer that we got(their packaging system was not compatible, or something along those lines)
    I honestly think this is a mistake that may end up determining the future of the sim in an online form, at least in terms of player numbers.

17. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Registered

Agree. I was afraid this would be the case when they started selling those DLCs. This will split an already small number of players.
    I hoped the new UI would check what cars you own and not allow you to select the car if you don't own it but still allow you to have the car installed for opponents to drive.

18. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

If this works in Automobilista i don't see a reason if why it shouldn't be possibile in rFactor 2.

19. Vance Le Garde

Vance Le Garde Registered

Maybe this means that we will have more races with just one make in them and not several if you have to buy all the cars even if you don't race them it does seem a bit unfair but if the cars are in a pack and only a pack does that matter as you cannot buy them separate then it becomes less of an issue.

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I think it has something to do with Automobilista sell there content as DLC
    steampowered.com/dlc/431600/Automobilista/

Where rF2 content is sold as store items.
    steampowered.com/itemstore/365960/

I can't remember the fine details (or any details) about what the difference is.