[REL] 1967 Endurance (Proto/Sports/GT) - modded Howston G4

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by woochoo, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Jamilton

Jamilton Registered

I should clarify that when running the Porsche for an hour at 3x fuel on Le Grand Circuit, I had to make one pitstop after just over half an hour, and then took on 100l of fuel to make it to the end. So the tank would last at least 90 minutes on normal fuel settings. I communicated that poorly on Discord. Wear was below 3% after the full hour on the default tyres.
    I just gave the Austin a go at Le Grand Circuit and it was difficult to get used to after trying the mid to high pack cars. It felt a lot more oversteery and quite a challenge!

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

One of the Ferrari Can Am variants, tried an Airbrake system with a perfortated sheet that raised up, near the nose I think, under braking. Can't find the exact car though. My Pete Lyons book is buried in a box.

3. Emery

Emery Registered

Thanks for that pic, had never seen it before!

4. Emery

Emery Registered

"Release the books!"

5. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

happens when you move 8 time in 7 years. I've boxes I haven't unpacked for years..... 1 more move in the Spring, then I hope to stay put for some time..(which is about the 4th time I've thought that.)

jimagn likes this.
  6. Comante

Comante Registered

Tried the updated version just for a few laps at Nords... what can I say, even the less powerful cars are fun and entertaining, and in some part of the track the risk to kiss the rails is high.
    The look of these cars is very ... romantic ... I always loved standard howstons, I really love these, have not yet decided what I like the most.
    The only problem I noticed, but don't know if it's track related or mod related, is that I can hear other cars engines even if the other car is so far behind that I can barely see them in the rear mirror.

woochoo likes this.
  7. woochoo

woochoo Registered

I did mess about with the sounds a bit, and dial them back down from some trials i did.
    Are you certainly hearing the engine note, or just pops and bangs?

8. Comante

Comante Registered

Is the engine sound, I've not noticed pops and bangs, but today if I have time I will try again and pay more attention.

woochoo likes this.
  9. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

short test GT & Proto 1.6/2.0L
    all the test with original setup and 20L (40L for GT) fuel, clutch and automatic gear.
    Kyalami GP 1976>10Laps>real road: naturaly progress>all: Normal (tyre/fuel)>Weather scripted Clear, 29°>30% humidity

GT:
    N°9 Chevrolet Corvette> 1.63L per laps> 3%front tire 1%++ rear tire usure> 1.36.1xx
    N°17 Ford Mustang GT350> 1.52L per laps> 3%front tire 1%++ rear tire usure> 1.37.6xx
    N°28 Ferrari 275GTB> 1.61L per laps> 2%front tire 1%++rear tire usure> 1.35.7xx
    N°42 Porsche 911S>1.58L per laps> 1+%front tire 1++%++rear tire usure> 1.39.7xx

Proto 1.6/2.0L
    N°29 Matra MS630> 1.35L per laps> 1%tire usure all> 1.32.7xx
    N°38 Porsche 910> 1.28L per laps> 1%tire usure all> 1.32.6xx
    N°40 Porsche 907> 1.26 per laps> 1%tire usure all> 1.32.9xx

10. jimagn

jimagn Registered

The #44 (Lotus 47/Europa) is a very nice little car. Wish I could afford the real thing. Thanks to mantasisg and woochoo I can enjoy it any time I can sit at my computer!

mantasisg, Mauro and woochoo like this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Same thing here. Perhaps it would even be possible to build or modify something to be like that, some Toyota MR2 for example. Lotus 47 is superb car to drive, it is light, it is low inertia, enough power to get most of the tires, everything is purely mechanical and it chassis is fun.

12. Legend

Legend Registered

thanks for this 2.0 gem!

woochoo likes this.
  13. Sebastien Sestacq

test Proto 3.0/5.0L
    all the test with original setup and 50L fuel, clutch and automatic gear.
    Kyalami GP 1976>10Laps>real road: naturaly progress>all: Normal (tyre/fuel)>Weather scripted Clear, 29°>30% humidity

N°19 Ferrari 330 P4: 1.28L per laps> 3% front,1%++ rear tire usure> 1.30.5xx
    N°22 Ferrari 412 P: 1.22L per laps> 3% front,1%++ rear tire usure> 1.31.9xx
    N°26 Ferrari 365 P2: 1.27L per laps> 2% front,1%+ rear tire usure> 1.31.5xx

the ferrari N°19 & 22 are very (too?) tricky to drive like the GT (N°9,17,28) I don't take too much pleasure in fighting to stay on the track unlike the other GT/Proto more "docile", for reminder I do with the setup base!
    maybe with a setup adapter they'll be more docile and stop trying to kill me. :D

Mauro likes this.
  14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think your feet is possibly too heavy for the tires. Perhaps you'd be able to balance them out better with setup according to your driving style, but after all- tires are tires and power is power. Unless you have problem with something other than grip, but I think you said once that you don't feel enough of grip.

I haven't driven Faveros in Kyalami yet though, I don't know if there is any specific handling issue there. Will have to test.

With this cars class tires starts to work for real.

I recommend to not even try full throttle with GT40 MK1 (or Forster 41) :D The thing with MK1 is that it is not heavy enough and rather stiff, but it pays off if you can handle it. Even though Ferrari (or Favero v33-4) is even lighter car, but it is softer, and it has more downforce in play, and it also has lower low end torque, so it doesn't spin tires as viciously as immediately, although it does spin them as well.

Remember that grip also = laptimes. If grip goes up then cars become too fast, or much too fast to their pace of their day. At least in LGC it is quite possible to match real laptimes, and, in fact, to do a bit better.

15. Sebastien Sestacq

Personally I have more fun with smaller cars, it's just my feeling proto 1.1, 1.3, 1.6/2.0, the 3.0/5.0 are already too powerful in my eyes just the ferrari 365 P2 which is more docile, for the GTs only the porsche 911s had my preference the other summers like on the ice at times.
    as far as my driving is concerned of course I'm not perfect, but I didn't do anything for the tests even if I made some mistakes I'm quite delicate, but I lack training, it would take a good setup and 1 or 2 hours of training to control them I think! You can't master such a monster in 10 laps, I'm aware of that! (video incoming) :D

Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
    pkelly, woochoo and Mauro like this.
  16. MiguelVallejo

MiguelVallejo Registered

thank you very much for so much hard work

woochoo likes this.
  17. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

@Oldseb Perhaps the default is a bit on the understeer side, but thats intentional. Personally, I also like smaller cars more, but these are better for me when I want more edge.

It is ironical that you find 911S to be best and others like on ice, because 911S definitely is the most slippery of those, it probably tricks you as you don't go fast enough, because it doesn't have enough power to just simply spin wheels anytime. This being said, I understand how it may appear like it is not as slidey as other GT cars. In fact in future 911 should get narrower tires, which should make it more slidey, but less snapy and more predictable.

Nice video. I think you are not bad. Perhaps you could improve your lines a bit, and don't steer so much more while you already understeering.

Here I just uploaded video of my laps at Sandeoverde with Favero aka Ferrari P4. To me it is tame and precise enough to drive confidently, but it is still exciting and challenging.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    woochoo and Sebastien Sestacq like this.
  18. Sebastien Sestacq

yeah nice driving! Did you do a setup?

(I've already driven a 1977 Porsche 911 and an 87 turbo. irl but not in tracks just on the road)

19. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think I have only added one click up to the wings. I don't remember if I adjusted gears. Track was naturaly progressing, I think with 4x rate.

If I would have adjusted setup, I would have made the front softer and reduced brakes pressure.

Sebastien Sestacq likes this.
  20. Jamilton

Jamilton Registered

Bug: With the Matra MS630 / Maitre 360M, the gear ratio can be changed to N/A - no gearing at all.

woochoo likes this.