Latest Roadmap Update - December 2019

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. stonec

stonec Registered

I'm old school as well and I remember already around 2005 there was discussion that offline gaming would be dead soon, so I'm actually surprised the offline aspect has stayed in racing games for this long. If I had the option to race against a full field of computer or human drivers, I see little reason why to choose computer drivers. It's a bit like being customer serviced by a bot or an actual human, yes, the bot sort of works, but more often than not there are issues.

There are campaign type games that don't lend themselves to multiplayer as well, but in games like rF2 where there is no campaign or even proper championship, racing against humans makes more sense. Nobody is playing CS:GO or Fortnite against AI, but for whatever reason, offline racing has a bit more traction still in sim racing. With rF2, the catch is of course that there aren't humans to race against currently, except for some weekly or monthly league races, so we are all "proud" offline racers most of the time.

2. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Maybe you don't like the car - track combination, maybe your internet connection is running bad, maybe you just wanna have a chilled out session without to much caring...there are many reasons, why i'm using AI races for example...

I like both, SP and MP...there are many reasons to use both, what is this whole discussion about in the first place, just ENJOY THE THING :D

atomed, McKiernan, Dookie and 4 others like this.
  3. Bill Worrel

Bill Worrel Registered

Hawaii was Papyrus' beta for online NASCAR racing using their original NASCAR Racing game. I'm not exactly sure when it started but around 1995 - 1996. I'm sure some of the same code is still used in iRacing today. But yes, people complain about paying $10 - $13 per month to subscribe to iRacing today. Back then you had to dial into Papyrus' servers using a dial up modem and tying up your phone line and for most people, it was a long distance call. I remember signing up with a long distance provider and getting an off hour rate of 10 cents per minute, so 6 bucks an hour to play late at night.

At the end of 1996, it was replaced with the Total Entertainment Network (TEN) and NASCAR Racing 2 and they created the NASCAR Racing Online System (NROS). The good thing was that you could dial into a local phone number, so there were no more huge phone bills, but TEN charged $10 per month.

davehenrie likes this.
  4. GTClub_wajdi

GTClub_wajdi Registered

Some times you don’t have time any more to make online races. I used to race online for many many years( I have done many endurance races) but in the last 3-4 years I don’t have much time to prepare my self for online races( no time for practices or testing setups..) So I’m now racing only offline.... I jump in my cockpit once a week and do or 60 min of hot laps or a short weekend race with my favorite cars...

F1Aussie likes this.
  5. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

Really, wow :eek: didn't know there was online racing back then

6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

The part I like about offline racing is that I can pick it up at any time, choose how long I want practice and qual and race to be, choose whatever track I feel like with whatever time, distance and weather I like, choose whatever car and opponents I want and do this at a time that is suitable to me, if I need to pause it for a piss or i want a drink or service the missus etc I can do so.

My understaning is that none of this is possible with online racing, I dont have the time to race at set times on set tracks with sets cars, it is just not possible. I it get minimal times I can play at it depends also on when the fam go to bed so I dont have the want or motivation to faff about with online, I just want to pick up and play when I can.

pkelly likes this.
  7. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

I remember I was too scared to jump online for years because I was worried I'd be useless and stand out as an absolute noob. Once I finally jumped on I proved that to be 100% correct. Thankfully the guys I jumped on with were great and so I felt just less enough of a dick to keep continuing.

8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I was the same. I remember my first online race I was a nervous wreck. Somehow I had cars behind on the grid and when the race started I was eyes on the mirrors and the occasional glance forward.
    I did that for what seemed a very long time until finally there were no cars behind me.
    I was not expecting how intense it all felt but also I was stoked to have gone so far without crashing.
    Righto, here comes turn 3......

Edit, I just went back to page 1 and read the first two lines:
    "Latest Roadmap Update - December 2019
    It's here, probably the biggest Roadmap in the known universe!"

;)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    JimmyT likes this.
  9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

There are very good reasons to be an offline simracer, if you wish :

- Family life not allowing or very little or in very bad conditions online.

- Car choice 100% free at any time (as well as upgrades), and car really adapted to the track and the challenge sought.

- Completely free track choice, and track adapted to the car and the challenge.

- Completely free time of day and night choice

- Completely free weather choice (rain/clouds) script.

- Completely free of all racing conditions choice

- Completely free grid choice, number of opponents and specificities of the grid according to your real need/desire (endurance...).

- Play when you want, for as long as you want, be able to console your son or help your wife at any time or play when no one is at home.............

- The list is very long, we could Continue.

So "proud to play offline", no, but very satisfied with the offline game compared to the advantages of online (which are real), yes !!

10. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

That's called "random grid"..........:p

JimmyT and ADSTA like this.
  11. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I liked and laughed a lot. ;)

12. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Still laughing.
    You maniac.:p

ADSTA likes this.
  13. Cyril Cherry

Cyril Cherry Registered

Very good experience for my first test of Monaco track with a Porsche 911 GT3 Cup

14. moxracing

moxracing Registered

I was one of the few who was fortunate for HAWAII to be a local call. I spent countless hours on there! I don't know what made me search for this today, but I was thrilled to see the internet recognized that it did in fact exist! I'd love to be able to track down some of the race logs from those days.

Bill Worrel likes this.
  15. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

Would it be possible to have DRS zones defined for Circuit d.Azure? Thanks!

Edit: it looks like DRS works fine, my mistake!

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
    Bill Worrel likes this.