Second monitor app

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by Fabian Balle, Jan 4, 2020.

1. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

I found this application for rF2. But I don't know how to install and run it. Can anyone help ?

Attached Files:

ADSTA and Corti like this.
  2. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Corti likes this.
  3. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

I dont see any .exe's for this thing. It gets me confused. I have the plugin installed and enabled.

4. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

generateWixGuid.ps1 or Wix_Generate.cmd
    These files must have something to do with it. powerscript, and cmd files are in a way like an exe

Where is the brains trust when you need em. :oops:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    Corti likes this.
  5. RoWo

RoWo Member

6. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

o_O
    Yeh but that's too easy, we don't like easy here. ;)

Now I see. I used the big green "look at me" download button, not the little shy 58 Releases button.

fff.PNG

Goanna likes this.
  7. Fabian Balle

Fabian Balle Registered

8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Yes it's all good.

9. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

What do i use this for?

10. It is similar to Motec e.g. It will record laps telemetry data and with Telemetry Viewer (which belongs to Second Monitor I think) you can analyze it, e.g. camber of wheels, tyre wear, suspension movement and so on. It may help you improve car handling.

11. Trevor

Trevor Registered

I really want to use this - after just one practice session I see that I would get a lot of the data logging and telemetry and tips it offers. However, the performance hit is significant. Is anyone aware of any optimizations that can be made to avoid hurting the performance in RF2?

My system is a Ryzen 5600X 6-core, an RTX 3060ti and 16gb of system ram.

I installed Second Monitor on the SSD that I use just for apps and Windows. I run Steam and RF2 and my other sims from a second internal SSD. I'd hoped that would help, maybe it does, but running Second Monitor made RF2 unusable with stuttering, freezing, and generally low frame rates even with lowering my graphics quality.

12. I have no performance impact at all (or even not noticeable) - I am using a couple of apps in parallel to rF2, but what I stopped using are overlays because I had the described problems while running rF2 in windowed mode and one or two overlays switched on.

Is it way better if you stop or do not start 2nd monitor?

13. Trevor

Trevor Registered

Yeah it is much different / better without second monitor running. But I didn’t mention that I’m also using TinyPedal widget overlays… that combo may be causing the issue. I didn’t even think to test without TinyPedal running because it is pretty much a non-negotiable add on for me at this point. But I will test to see, would love to figure out some solution for both.

14. Ok, I see.

It sounds weird, but most people are using overlays with more or less no problems at all (no performance loss etc.). The same moment I am using e.g. Discord overlay in rF2 I have got stuttering the same moment an avatar lightens up while someone is speaking.

With most of the overlays for telemetry and so on I had no problems as far as I remember, but I need to use fullscreen mode for some reasons or - ATM - I am using VR and I avoid using overlays in VR because of them causing problems.

I would recommended to start rF2 without any additional "graphics" (no overlay, no 2nd monitor etc.) and check it; then do the same test with TinyPedal switched on (most people I know have no probs with running TP), then with 2nd monitor, with 2nd monitor and without TP and so on.

15. Trevor

Trevor Registered

Yep I agree - I need to take the time to test it with just one app being added at a time. I keep forgetting what else I run simultaneously so I need to be deliberate about it.
    My standard apps running are:
    • RF2
    • TinyPedal
    • TrackIr
    • CrewChief
    • Discord (no overlay but voice chat in races)
    I need to start with only RF2 and add one app at a time.

also: you mentioned running in full screen mode. I’ve been using Borderless and now that you’ve mentioned it, I can’t really remember why. Almost certain it was because I read that it would perform better that way, but that was when I set it up with a Radeon 580 and now I have the 3060ti. I may try switching to fullscreen to test that change also.

16. There are three modes available running rF2 (4 tbh):

- fullscreen
    - windowed
    - borderless
    - (vr)

AFAIK you need to have rF2 running in windowed or borderless mode in order to make overlays visible / work.

I am using a 3080 ATM and was using a 3060ti - I changed the cards because the 3060ti did not have three DP which I needed at that time.

If I remember correctly I was running rF2 on high detailed level / graphics settings with the 3060ti at 7680x1440 resolution at 60Hz (had to use HDMI ports).

I had no issues at all - now I was used to have rF2 running at same resolution with high graphic settings at the same resolution but at 144Hz and I had not performance issues as well.

I remember having problems with my DD wheel when using borderless mode.

17. Trevor

Trevor Registered

ah that was it - using TinyPedal was the reason I switched to Borderless, so I could use overlays.

I've just made some really good optimization improvements across my system and RF2 settings and getting hugely better performance now. Going to try it with Second Monitor running next, so far I'm going slowly and adding one additional app at a time to understand impacts.