Engine sounds weaker then in engine sound editor

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Spitfire1, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

>>>But it may depend which mods you play - if others are clipped and overly loud, a normal one will seem quiet.

It is not so easy. Sometimes a clipped sound is heard lower than others which are not clipped. Sometimes a clipped sound sounds better than the non-clipped version of itself. Sometimes a clipped engine sound doesn't show any sign of distortion to our ears... Depends on the characteristics of the wave and the context : The combination with other sounds you are playing simultaneously, or even the combination with other sounds you played some seconds ago (due to hearing short term memory).

2. Rock

Rock Registered

Hello,
    the translation of your discussion is not precise enough to intervene (google trad). But some tips that can be used:
    - be careful not to push too hard on the 0Db (cliping).
    - the quality or level losses during the assembly of the SFX are often related to the mixture of .Wav and (crossing) of their phases.
    -Use if you can, a band compressor (plug-in), to find which frequency portion of the .wav conflicts with another. This consists in switching off a portion of frequencies ex: -32 db. Going back to the game to see the difference. (I know it's long but I think there is a tool to test faster, I look if I find it).

3. Rock

Rock Registered

Hello Raintyre, we crossed it, we show certain things identical. If like for me it's your job, it's easy to understand but not for a novice (especially, that with post).

4. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

It's especially difficult and unpredictable because every sound system has its tricks! I think Fmod is closer to the classic approach of mosts DAWs than current RF2 system

5. Rock

Rock Registered

Yes exactly.
    As proof, working with Cubase pro or pro Tools, will give a different result at the end because the plug-ins and others will be different.
    But the work we are talking about (processing .wav) seems almost impossible with audacity! But there hav other solution: Player One / Live / Cubase ... but I recommend this product (it should change your life for this kind of work and we have to find it cheaper):
    https://www.amazon.fr/Steinberg-ZS-2018521-Cubase-10-Elements/dp/B07KTJXN8Z

6. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Sample quality is everything and then reduce environment noises if that doesn't work.

7. MotherDawg

MotherDawg Registered

Old thread but I'm looking for any new data on the present state of the .SFX file...
    When 397's dev page looks like this... what are we supposed to do?
    https://docs.studio-397.com/developers-guide/car-development/car-sounds

@Spitfire1: To answer the question in your second post, from 'F1 2001 Vehicle Sound by John (Busy Bee) Bayley' :
    "...stuff under ATTENUATION is old, and is not used (ATTENUATION itself is just a comment and is not read by the game)"