Hours of sunset/sunrise NOT depending on each track but just the hour selection

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by DrivingFast, Dec 26, 2019.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

The hours of sunset and sunrise do not only depend on the hour, but also totally on each circuit.

Can we standardize the hours of sunset and sunrise for all tracks (or official) ?

Let us know for example when we set 5:30 AM that it is the sunset and 19:00 PM it is the sunrise, during the configuration of the race.

So as not to end up with a car without a headlight at night or to fully enjoy the atmosphere of sunset and sunrise.

Jérémie Toussaint likes this.
  2. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Doesn't the hours of daylight change depending where you are in the world though? Middle of winter in northern Queensland 6am to 6pm but in Symmons Plains Tasmania it's like 8am to 5pm.
    In summer North Queensland is still 6am to 6pm but Symmons Plains is about 5:30am to nearly 9pm. So a standardised day in rF2 wouldn't really do it justice.
    It's a nice sentiment though.

3. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Jimmy is correct. Latitude is factored into the calculations for sunrise and sunset. For example, the long night at the Rolex 24hr in February in Florida vs the relatively short night at Le Mans in Late June, Southern France.

jayarrbee36 likes this.
  4. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I think this is a necessary simplification.

Because the sunset/sunrise does not only change according to the time + of the lattitude, but also according to the day of the year.

Far too complex to manage in rF2 and by the user !

5. filippu

filippu Registered

You keep flooding the forums saying you want realism realism and realism, and the one rare thing this sim gets right, you complain it's too complicated for you (how hard it is to turn on your headlights) ? Incredible.

6. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

But if UI would indicate the position of sun together with hours for each track then it wouldn't be a bad thing. I believe that was original idea by OP. I had this same idea like OP, and various other ideas, but I usually forget them quickly. This is something related to UI so it is worth suggesting to developers, because they do work on UI now.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  7. dylbie

dylbie Registered

Just need two extra lines in the track information, which is then displayed on the track selection or race settings page...

Sunrise = 06:00AM
    Sunset = 08:00PM

Either created by the track modder if the date is always static, or calculated by the game if the option to change the dates are ever added.

Then you'd see what time it was going to get dark/light, and you can plan your race start times around the times above.

8. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

The sunset is too long in rF2, this is true. There are too many hours of sunset and then it suddenly become night, in a couple of seconds, you can even see the sky changing colors while driving. I do a lot of endurance racing so i've seen many sunset lol, in the last VEC race at Nurburgring for example, the light and the sky started to be yellowish at approx 6pm, at 10pm you still could have see the low sun in the horizon, then puff, pitch black in half lap.
    No matter the location and the date, the sunset is always too long.

rF2 is also missing the phase after the sunset where there is that cold ambient light, before it becomes full dark. I have to say, in ACC they nailed this.

9. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Related to this is that the "rate of sun setting" should be adjusted according to the race timescale. In a "24 hour" race shortened x15 it goes from daylight to fully dark in moments.

10. filippu

filippu Registered

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@filippu see the report button?

The problem is screenshots can be doctored.

*oh, and yeah: standardised sun movement? Huh?

Expose a date setting and indicate the sunrise and sunset times (and make the game handle daylight saving instead of embedding it in the track), but don't take away the proper timing. That's important for the game to match reality for many races.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  12. Brent

Brent Registered

The sunrise and sunset are dependent on the latitude and longitudinal coordinates and race date the track creator puts in the track .gdb. Occasionally, you come across a track where these values were not entered properly, I blame that on the general lack of information for modders, this isn't noted on the track creation cheat sheet. The only remedy for this error is to unpack, edit the .gdb, and repackage the track.

Over the years I've become familiar with what time the sun sets with starting time values in the player.json, but they vary track to track because of the above. I can sort of predict when the sun will set for a race that will have a day/night transition but often I have to set a race time, load the track to see where the sun will be at for a certain time. Then adjust the race starting time for the desired sunset time during a race.

It would be SUPER helpful if you could choose the time of the race with a slider bar with an animated sun (moon) rising and falling showing it's position in the sky on a scale of time for setting up both single player and multiplayer. Or an option to simply override and adjust the race date and or correct long/lat values.

F1Aussie, RoWo and Seven Smiles like this.
  13. Corti

Corti Registered

That's why the Sonoma update looks at night?

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Corti That looks fine. Is it dark at odd hours?

15. Corti

Corti Registered

yes, time sessions setting is default selection
    Captura.JPG

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  16. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Longitude = -122.4569 // the direction of North in degrees (range: 0 to 359)
    Something strange here. If the range is 0 to 359 why is that a negative number. -122.4569.

Then I looked at S397 Sebring 12hour gdb
    Longitude = -81.34827 // degs from GMT (-180 to 180, positive is East)
    A different range setting.
    :confused:

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The first comment is wrong, that's all. It's referring to the North heading, which I think isn't needed if the track is oriented correctly in 3d space. If something is wrong it's not the coords or time zone.

ADSTA likes this.
  18. Corti

Corti Registered

solved ... as @ADSTA comments in the Queensland post. The DSTRange line was deactivated and that is what produced the darkness
    https://dateandtime.info/city.php?id=5397095
    I understand that in this line the day number that changes daylight saving time (March 8 in this case) and the number of day that changes back to winter time (November 3) should go.
    (67.0, 307.0...)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    ADSTA likes this.
  19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Corti That doesn't really add up, but ok.

20. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

@Lazza those numbers were from the Lakeside gdb.
    Maybe another gdb was used as a template for Lakeside and the removal of DST was overlooked.