Anyone wanna help a fellow sim racer out?

Discussion in 'Hardware Building/Buying/Usage Advice' started by 2ndLastJedi, Dec 24, 2019.

1. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

I've been using 4k for years now, first a 55" 4k TV and more recently a 40" 4k monitor.
    The 40" monitor is better than the TV just for response time and black levels (being a VA where the TV was IPS) both 60Hz.

Also had a Rift for over a year but got feed up with the low resolution and constant struggle between frames and highest quality settings possible.

I've now made the decision to get triples but don't want to have to get a new graphics card so think I'm going for 27" 1080p but worried 1080p will be to low res after being at 4k at 40".

I hate to buy 1080p screens only to find it is too low res and should have gone 1440p and had the battle with performance again (ala VR) while waiting a year or more for better than 2080ti performance (can't justify 2080ti price for only 25% gains).

I'm looking to sell the 4k monitor to help fund this whole thing.

So that's where my favour comes in, anyone in Brisbane Northside feel brave and let this old man (well kids always tell me I'm old, 45 ain't old is it?) have a little play on ya rig? I've been to the likes of JB and Officeworks looking at 1080p monitors and watched my own YT videos on them but it's not good enough to tell from crappy YT vids :(

Merry Christmas
    2LJ

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Sorry mate, if I were home and closer I would have offered. 3x27 is exactly what i have.

For what it's worth I sit at around 65cm from the screens (outstretched clenched fists don't quite reach, which is my office-desk-rig setup check) and have no issues with resolution, but it's hard to know how you would feel coming from the 4k. I get pretty good performance on a 1070ti but 60hz and no sync. I'm avoiding anything nicer so I don't get disappointed :D

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  3. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Registered

Thanks Mate, as for the resolution, I know that 1080p 27"has the same PPI as 4k @55" and I was happy enough with that screen so that was my first thinking it would be good enough but got me thinking that maybe I could go 24" to get the PPI up, but are 24's too small?
    Then I here people say 1440p x3 performance is okay even on lower end hardware than my 1080ti but I can math :rolleyes:
    1440px3 is 11 million (impossible with my current GPU)
    1080px3 is 6 million (easy to run)
    4k is 8 million (struggle in ACC and AMS2) i have 4k and know the struggle in ACC and with AMS2 using pC2 which I have and know the performance know that my 1080ti isn't enough for more pixels than 4k. But do i get the 1440p and then save again for new GPU which I will eventually get anyway or is 1080p enough to be happy for years? Hence me coming here asking a favor :oops:

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I did diagrams and measurements and stuff working out what to get (note: I'm tight!) and settled on 27 as a minimum. 24s start to lack enough FOV (vertically, and horizontally) or are uncomfortably close. I did once miss a race start because I couldn't see the lights (approx 27 deg vFov) but other than that it's great.

Screen distance can be an issue, I've had a non-gamer sit down and automatically move back a bit (which ruins the perspective etc) and I'm sure 32" screens would be better that way. You're not old enough yet for that to be a problem ;)

I got cheap Asus screens, "1ms" but TN, again for me it's about fit for purpose. At some point I think VR will be enticing enough to switch.