Porsche GT3 Cup

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Inactive user 0001, Sep 27, 2019.

1. Igor

Igor Registered

I have just analyzed briefly the video that have been posted before in this post:

And I wanted to ask:
    - Is in this video Moritz driving in real life the porsche gt3 cup in combined layout?
    - Is Moritz in real life doing sub 8:20 in combined layout in his porsche gt3 cup (including Mercedes arena section)?
    - Is Moritz doing in rfactor 2 sub 8:20 in combined layout in the porsche gt3 cup?
    - Have someone achieved sub 8:20 in combined layout in the porsche gt3 cup?
    - what times are you capable in this layout?

Thank you for your answers, I am just a slow driver and have serious trouble with this car. I have seen this video, and it is a pretty solid drive, maybe a good lap to take as an example for my case...

but it is 24 hours layout, and not the combined... so in the video they show an aproximate time of 8.20, quite an achievement for my point of view (at least in rfactor 2, where I have at least small experience)

2. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

Finding more great "bogeyman" tracks for Porsche, picked today this track for first time ever, graduated "YouTube master driving class" and get some decent race with AI. Maybe after seven "track days" I might get my car on podium. :D

Edit: Well, FWD seven.. :)

Minor change to setup and driving, yeah.. This track makes you sweat..

Edit2: rMarioFactoring Monaco with Porsche Cup

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  3. Igor

Igor Registered

Nice drive at Monaco...

I really liked the first 500 meters, you have passed quite a few on the straight... hahaha

But why calling it rMarioFactoring, do you know that Porsche Mobil 1 Supercup uses indeed Monaco for their races?

I like a lot Porsche GT3 Cup, maybe my favourite racing car, right after Honda NSX, Chevrolet Corvette and Panoz. I still have not tried the BMW M2 CS... and I am looking right now for the porsche gt3 rs mod, to see if it is worth or not putting my time into driving it.

4. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

Thanks, that 500m and overall attitude of my driving was more Mario Kart than rF2, including invulnerable..
    Big boys on real life drive Monaco 1:35.5 times, so I have lot to practise here, 2secs I can see doable, but that 3,5secs seems out of my reach.. :p
    Car feels nice on there, so maybe I'll practice more to get that 3,5..

5. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Just saw this. So after changing setup to default IRL car, what are differences in handling? Is it easier on the limit?

6. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

It's harder (rF2).

7. franser

franser Registered

It's amazing how well recreated this car is, one of my favorite cars and one of the best in the simulator. In this real video you can see the similarities in braking distance, curve traffic and correct gears.
    Great studio work 397

atomed, makan and R.Noctua like this.
  8. Marko

Marko Registered

[QUOTE="OdeFinn, [/QUOTE]
    What pedal overlay plugin are you using?

9. Harmermania

Harmermania Registered

Totally agree.

10. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

Not a overlay, just video editor trick.

11. mr.Sw1tchblade

mr.Sw1tchblade Registered

Sebring onboard.

12. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Wow! Well I never! Thankyou folks!

I have been reading some of the posts hear with interest as I purchased this car pretty recently and I have found the Porsche GT3 Cup car quite challenging to drive and quite different from the Porsche GTE R. So ive been reading some of your suggestions about setups i.e. Camber ARB and so on, so I decided to do a little experiment. I went into the setups for both cars and looked at every setting that were ajustable on each car, wow! They are setup so differently!

I then went to the Porsche GT3 Cup car and adjusted every setting to be as close as possible to the Porsche GT3 R (which I find much easier to drive). Camber I got to exactly the same angle as the GT3 R give or take a degree, same with tire pressure, to in role bar, brake pressure and bias. The wing was the only thing both have adjustable that cant be set so similar as the default setup for wing on GT3 R is about 13 or 15 I think, and can go much higher, but on the CUP car it is set much lower and can only go up to 9, so I set it to 9 as thats close as i can get, I then saved this setup under the title 'More like GT3 R'.

Now I go back to the GT3 R and keep every thing as default apart from I bring the Wing down to 9 and turn TC and ABS off (and I mean OFF), then save the setup as 'More Like GT3 CUP' so now they are as close as possible.

I then took both cars to Apple Valley Speedway Sports Car and did serveral laps in each car trying to keep it consistent as possible and use same line, each time with same fuel and same real road preset.

Well!! What a difference that made! If you wanna give the CUP car a bit of a personallity transplant and have it drive more like the GT3 R, then you outta try this! By doing this these cars sunddenly have a lot more in common! Still different but a heck of a lot closer, check it out i recorded the lap times!

First pic is GT3CUP next is GT3 R on medium tires and last is GT3 R on softs. How fecking close are those first two sets of time's!
    Cup Car.jpg Cup Car.jpg

Attached Files:

atomed and memoNo1 like this.
  13. Paul McC

Paul McC Registered

Sorry for some reason the first times are shown twice here, but im sure you can work out which is which. Damn I love this sim, its depths are astounding! Id like to do another test trying to see what times I get with the default setup, once mastered im wondering if its actually faster as I know some of the better drivers setups can seem v unstable to lesser mortals like myself as they get the fastest possible performance out of the car but leave very little room for error on the limit!

memoNo1 likes this.
  14. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

The Porsche Cup is fascinating.
    I've been re-reading this thread and other ones about this car, and it certainly reflects that.

However, it is a frustrating car if you know nothing about setups. Let me explain.

I've been driving it (the base model) mainly on VIR with the default setup. VIR is the perfect track for this car.

Although I have no problem drving the car confidently in the first few laps, after 4 or so laps the car becomes more and more unstable in braking and turning as laps go, to the point I usually finish by losing the car while cornering.

So my question for expert of this car: what explains it and what can be done about it? I know absolutely nothing about car setups. My concern is to make the car more stable over the long run so I can ever finish a race, not make it faster.
    Are there minimal modifications to car setup that can improve this (I don't want a very complex setup that change its characteristics too much) ? Anything in the driving style that must be followed to not ruin the car too much too quickly ? Well, any (simple) advice to make the most of this car is welcome.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
  15. OdeFinn

OdeFinn Registered

@bobbie424242 VIR is excellent track for fine tuning Cup setup, but it was also most challenging to do so.
    1st suggestion, do a setup on Canadian Tire Motorsport Park (senormen version), it's easier to get basic problems solved on setup, then adjusting that setup on VIR to gain "perfectly" working packet.
    I know that frustrating feeling when you can manage handful of laps on VIR and then you find it traveling backwards on first five corners of track, been there, after doing lot of testing got my setup to work for me and still wasn't easy to believe at it is working, only track where I toke several 45min races just to trust at setup is working after five laps..
    As a driving style suggestion, take first few 2-3 laps gently, then just go for it..

Boring race to watch, but still..

bobbie424242 likes this.
  16. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

I'm not an expert but:
    Lower tyre pressures to the minimum (rF2 tyres don't care about it at all, this is also applicable to every other car in rF2) and work on your braking, do it more, like in a road car. Don't lock the tyres, if it happens, though, apply a bit of throttle to catch it.

You can drive with stiffer front ARB and softer rear ARB and a bit more wing, if it is too twitchy.

It's all down to your braking, basically...
    EDIT: Also on corner exit you can try to apply 60-70% throttle until it gets settled, to then use the rear engine traction to rocketship out of the corner, try coasting through apexes.

and low tyre pressures aren't problematic at all, they just increase pace, stability and confidence, without having significant effect on temps or tyre wear. (i really think, they should introduce tyre damage and better behaviour for that characteristic)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2020
    TJones and bobbie424242 like this.
  17. franser

franser Registered

they have updated in the car that version 1.33 was released?

18. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Registered

Would like to know what has been updated as well (changelog).

19. makan

makan Registered

It should be a livery update, at least 1.32 was.

20. franser

franser Registered

After playing a little with the settings I managed to get the car fast and safe I leave the settings

The four 110 kpa tires (minimum pressures)

Front ARB 3 Rear ARB 4

Toe in striker -0.217
    Toe in rear -0.117

100 nm preload (new)

In imola with a track I make times of 1.45