Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. sfrost

sfrost Registered

Glad new UI is here and can start to be built upon. My suggestions for improvement:

- Split single player racing and multiplayer racing into their own 2 seperate tabs or have single player be the default that shows when you press "Race" rather than the game trying to load favourite servers everytime as this is a delay that is not needed

- Add a dedicated "quit" button either to the tabs or next to the options button, first time I loaded into the UI and wanted to quit the game had no idea how to as the only quit button is located on the main menu where the news articles show up.

- For the car and track selection the list view is very good allowing you to expand and open up the list of cars and track variations easily and quickly to select what you want. The other views require you to have to keep opening up sub folders rather than presenting everything on one screen. I recommend to make the other views easier to navigate allow icons to be double clicked to open subfolders and escape to be pressed to go back up one layer of subfolders.

-Make all the preview icons full colour not black and white as it defeats the purpose of having the preview icons.

-Don't make the "customise" button looked greyed out as it makes it look like it is not selectable instead give it a different colour or the same colour as the "select" button.

- In the options menu atm the settings Window Mode, Resolution, Refresh rate, vertical sync, Multiview, Widescreen UI and Widescreen HUD I would categorise more as display settings and all the settings in the left hand column under "Display" as well as Visible vehicles, Mirrors and Auto detail FPS are, in my opinion, graphics settings so should be moved around.

-Another big help is having tool tips for what each graphics setting does and also a picture of what the difference will look like between each level of an option.

That's all for the moment looking forward to the next update of the UI

Provost, 2ndLastJedi, Emery and 2 others like this.
  2. ayrtonforever

ayrtonforever Registered

I'd like to know how generate the icon, but i fear the only one way is contouring a screenshot done in showroom, correct?

2ndLastJedi likes this.
  3. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

Yes it's the only way at the moment, but you should ensure the white of the showroom is the same as the ui, or you could cut the car from the background and past it in the same white of the ui.

4. ilgrillo

ilgrillo Registered

I was hoping that in the new UI there was a new way to create an offline championship. But I think, there will never be... :(

ECAR_Tracks, F1Aussie and 2ndLastJedi like this.
  5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Remember, this is mostly just the same functionality built on a new system. Was never going to do new things at the start.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  6. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

It would be great to be able to change lots of things without reloading the track:
    - change car
    - change weather
    - change time of day
    - change in fact any of the session options

pascom, Akela_DE, djvicious and 4 others like this.
  7. ilgrillo

ilgrillo Registered

Yes, it seems legit. But I feel the disperate needing of a simple offline championship. :(

8. Balazs Magyar

Balazs Magyar Registered

If I forget to switch my wheel on before starting rF2, I have to restart the whole sim to have the wheel to be recognised. I would be very glad without this "feature".

9. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Exactly!!

10. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Is it not possible to do it in the 3D program used to create the car?

Whatever, I would have expected S397 to say "This is how we did it" and perhaps release a tool/plugin/macro to do the job. I remember for rF1 there was a (third party) dedicated program that let you see the car/skin and rotate it.

11. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Yes but some of that might well be major upheaval in how the rest of rF2 works, let's get the UI working a bit better first!

12. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

If you are the author of the car yes you can definitely do it in that way i guess, or if the mod is not encrypted, but if it is, the only way is through the showroom, or a total white track :D
    There is already in the workshop a white showroom that show you the car from the side (i used it when i was managing a league to do spotter guides), you just need to open it and take the screenshot, i think they will publish something similar soon as it would be strange otherwise.

13. Emery

Emery Registered

I, too, would like that feature, but I believe it is not possible since none of the other sims I have can do it.

14. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

someone solved this error error1.jpg

makan likes this.
  15. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

I deleted the Clio and Corvette PC's, verified integrity and they downloaded again and it worked, not sure what happened...

juanchioooo likes this.
  16. Harri Blom

Harri Blom Registered

When trying to watch hotlap replays the game starts loading the replay but it loads a wrong track.. So it looks like the car is driving in the air or on the grass, because the trackfile is wrong.

gabrielof and ilgrillo like this.
  17. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

thank you very much Rui :);)

Rui Santos likes this.
  18. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Have you checked if this line in the Controller.json is set to true. I don't know if it works though.
    "Realtime Controller Detection":true,
    "Realtime Controller Detection#":"whether to check for new controllers while in realtime (0 to disable if it causes any problems, cannot currently be enabled for Windows 8)"

I know in American Truck Simulator I have had a message pop up on screen about a controller missing during start up, and it doesn't take long for ATS to start. Switched on my wheel, no problems.

Akela_DE and Emery like this.
  19. hitm4k3r

hitm4k3r Registered

First of all I agree, that PC2 UI and the CM for AC are great when it comes to being clean and sharp, but there are few considertions to be made. PC2 has no mod support so there never have to be considered custom or 3rd party car classes, thatswhy the classes seem better structured at a first glance. While this is in some way true there is the problem that they oversimplified things, so you race against cars in offline races that never raced against each other and setting up custom grids requires 3rd party apps, wich is something that S397 should allways try to avoid. So in that regard it makes only sense to look at moddable games and how they integrated the car selection. The CM does this pretty nicely, but I have the feeling that it'll work even better in the new rF2 UI once the search function works. So that needs to be seen. What I would like to be coppied from the CM in particular though are options to save custom grinds and the option to put in numbers besides using sliders or +/- buttons. So how it is shown here:
    CM_1.PNG
    And while the CM is great, it's pretty obvious that S397 are dealing with a different beast. That's all the options you can setup for a race weekend in CM for example, so not really that much. In that regard the new UI is a big improvement with the customizable practice settings and plenty of features in rF2 allready. The more I think about it sticking to the dark grey and orange combo from the car setup pages might be the best bet for the whole UI. Grey is just the most neutral color scheme for any user and makes it easy on the eyes. Btw, when people bring up CM please consider that there are pages like these that are simply a no-go in UI design:
    CM_2.PNG

20. Stix_09

Stix_09 Registered

Thanks Seven Smiles
    I did miss that part , even after I re-read the update info here

https://www.studio-397.com/2019/12/roadmap-update-december-2019/

Can you quote where that was said I could not find it myself
    Thanks