[REL] SMMG Formula 3 Series (2019-2020-2021-2022-2023-2024) 2.20

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Nov 22, 2018.

1. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Very good news, thank's Marco.

I can not wait for real drivers to give their opinion so that possible corrections are made.

2. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

@Slow Motion
    but... it's a bit early for Christmas presents.
    Just kidding, thanks for this big update!
    I quickly compared handling with the GP3 mod. They are quite similar. I used pretty much default setup (only lowered front wing on GP3 by two steps to 26).
    So both are stable and predictable, with a lot of grip, even on default, hard compound. The only oversteer I get is sometimes on corner exit, when I accelerate too fast(but it's mostly easy to catch). Also maybe oversteer can (rarely) happen on slow, bumpy corners . On medium , and fast corners it feels like there's very high downforce, especially on rear. Understeer happens more often for me in both cars, especially on slower corners, of course when entering too fast .
    GP3 seems bit faster as I was about one second faster on Sebring.

One thing I still can't quite get used to is the Halo. I usually end up disabling/removing it when possible ( i.e. in AC mods).
    It's not deal breaker by any means, but I think it would be nice to be able to disable it in Tuning menu(but IDK if it's even possible).

Anyway, great progress, I'm really happy the physics are based on real data and as I understand no(or very little) guess work was needed. And in addition, that you said it may be even possible to fine tune details if you get additional feedback from F3 drivers.
    But I guess for now, graphics will be main focus. Thanks again for your work.

Edit: after further comparison I must say that F3 understeers a bit more. For sure fronts slide significantly more. In general F3 has more tendency to slide and is a bit more "lively" than GP3. So F3 is more fun to drive for me, but the difference isn't huge. I also noticed F3 FFB seems stronger. I mean stronger wheel turning resistance.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
  3. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Thanks for testing and comparing!

On my side I can only say that potentially the F3 should have less understeer than GP3, that depending by data and front geometry with a different aer at fast speed... BUT we must not forget that the big difference is in the default setup!
    In fact, to have a better behaviour of the GP3, we modified the Dallara suggested setup, on the contrary the F3 has the default Dallara setup and this does a big difference! Due to the different geometry the F3 can run also with the default setup, then is up to you guys to work on setting to have a faster car: also the ability to create a good setup is part of the challenge in this game!

And yes, different front geometry and different wheelbase bring to a little different FFB.

We are working on graphics and we have a couple of options... we'll see... BTW the steering wheel and the working display/gauges I guess that are a state-of-the-art job.

4. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Thanks for the car mate

5. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

Hallo seriously ruin my view

6. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

About the halo, l thought long time ago about it also with Chris... At first we added several options in the tuning, from full solid to full transparent, various steps...
    But sincerely I don't like to have a car closed to the real one where everybody can hide the halo, especially for online races.

I know, here we have the risk to open an endless discussion, because I know that vr users are more annoyed by the halo vs other users...
    But again the risk to have a different view that can brings to an advantage if halo is more or less transparent, is something I do not like... And real driver must drive with it in front, also if he can move the head left and right...

I would say to wait for the real pov that we'll set to the public build only when we'll have the cockpit and body of the F3 to take a decision, but I really appreciate to know the point of view of mates that are driving the mod!

7. mesfigas

mesfigas Registered

i v found a tricky way to see inside halo 2 bolt on screws and steering wheel
    i just lowered drivers sheat and made my whole view more immersive :)
    no worries.
    real world drivers has same view problem
    valedino rossi when drove hamiltons F1 car said he had problem with view.....so i m not gonna complain
    cheers mate :)

8. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Trust me, it was my pleasure:) I know these are subjective, unscientific, impressions, and you already got real F3 drivers feedback, which really matters. But didn't see any opinions about this WIP mod (after this physics update) and thought some future users might find it interesting. And also honestly hoped it could provoke some discussion, especially was interested in your opinion, if such impressions about handling make sense, or more or less match expectations. So thanks for your further insights.

I think for me F3 understeered more on medium and slower speed corners, on fast corners they seemed more similar, but I will have to verify it.

I'm far from being expert on setups, but for instance I found I could easily use full brake pressure and move brake bias way back to like 52:48 or even more. The cars didn't oversteer while braking hard... until I tried F3 at Laguna Seca. That wasn't the case especially braking before the famous tight corners with on the hill (called Corkscrew I think). I had to really modulate brake there, or move brake bias forward.

Yes I was surprised it's already working very good. I guess rf2 isn't the easiest sim to make realistic steering wheel as even some official content isn't always ideal.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Slow Motion likes this.
  9. Filip

Filip Registered

Actually VR players can move their head and look around halo which gives them advantage.

Real drivers don't see solid halo, unless they close one eye.
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a19496576/formula-1-driver-explains-halo-vision-impact/

I think I saw some real F1 driver trying a sim and immediately turning halo off

avenger82 and Rui Santos like this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

VR users actually have it better, as they can "look past" the halo like in real life. It's more annoying on screens. Anyway, it's something to either be argued or you make it the way you want and we deal with it :cool:

11. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Studio397 made the Tatuus halo semi-transparent so the VR users don't have an advantage here... they've explained it somewhere...

12. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

@Slow Motion

post from christopher Elliott

"We wanted to keep it as real as possible considering the limitations, and 10% is a subtle aid if you want to look at it like that, for those running on 'screens'. In VR your eyes can look past the halo, on screens it's more obstructive because you can't focus it out. The 10% in our testing we decided was the right amount to not give an unfair advantage, but still compensate for the 'screen' effect.
    Hope that helps explain our intentions :)"

Filip, avenger82 and Rui Santos like this.
  13. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

well, thanks for help and explanations... We'll see to modify the halo' mount and the bottom area...

makan likes this.
  14. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Now the new WEB UI is available to the public, I can inform that this mod already uses the new icons.

20191119174548_1.jpg

We also have ready an update for AIs to run in a better way the new Circuit d'Azur, but I'd like to release it to you together some more new items that are working on our testing car, like new driver and gloves and transparent halo options... this option needs few days because we have to update a lot of textures

20191219165255_1.jpg
    ops... this picture shows also something more... LOL

Churrinche, mixer61, Corti and 8 others like this.
  15. Sebastien Sestacq

Sebastien Sestacq Registered

16. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Beta 0.59 is out! First post has been updated...

This new beta brings few improvements:
    - new RCD files for Talent that allow the new rF2 code for AIs in use at Circuit d'Azur
    - new driver + new belt + anm + new gloves (now simplified and that use only EXTRA0 and EXTRA1 (left and right hands)
    - new option in tuning for semi transparent halo (only in cockpit view)

As usual the public build still shows the GP3 main body, so also the POV of the cockpit view is not the one of the F3 (as you can see in the pictures below POV will be different when sit into the F3).
    Then again we do not give any template, because they are still WIP

public build, GP3 POV, new steering wheel and driver/hands but still in GP3 position
    20191221161536_1.jpg
    in development, F3 POV, draft of the body, steering wheel and driver/hands F3 position
    20191221161241_1.jpg

17. zxd1997

zxd1997 Registered

the car feel so well and very fun to drive, all we need to wait is the visual part. Hope it be final soon!

18. tagada83

tagada83 Registered

Hello, it's a good thing that we have this possibility. It's just a shame that, for a game, we can't delete it completely. Sincerely.

19. Brack Jabham

Brack Jabham Registered

Given people want things to be accurate, why do you want it to not be accurate? My opinion only, but this is like asking to change the physics to make it easier to drive. This is meant to represent (as best we can) what it is like to drive these cars. Real drivers don't ask for the halo to be removed - they adapt to it. If you drive these enough you forget it is even there

makan, Emery, Slow Motion and 2 others like this.
  20. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I think it could be made , but a some/little transparency is a good compromise for monitors. As someone said in VR or perhaps more so IRL you can look past halo, but It stills obscures vision to some extent:
    SMMG Formula 3 2020 WIP BETA 0.59