Released The New UI is Here! (Instructions on How to Opt-in)

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, Dec 19, 2019.

1. SULFAIL

SULFAIL Registered

rfactor 3.png rfactor2 2.png
    and you mean this? because I can do it, I sincerely believe that you have not given a minimum of time to the new interface and you are wrong, without any offense.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  2. Stix_09

Stix_09 Registered

While its appreciated I'm very disappointed with new UI. It looks more pretty the original, and that's the good part.

The problem is the functionality is almost the same as the original except they have incorporated the launcher into the UI.

The UI is there to make it EASY to setup races (any car against any cars we want, not predefined filters we can't modify without doing things outside the UI, with other tools) and to display information about current tracks and cars.
    (car categories section in rf2 are a big problem, it's still a mess)

Car,track and AI setup (selection and filtering) for a race is still ,just terrible.I'd rather use the original UI as its faster and does the same thing but in a cleaner and simpler way.

I'm not a fan of sims like PC2 , but at least the UI (while not my fav , as its built for a console) its simple, clean has decent functionality that makes race setup for offline and online racing easy. (because PC2 has decent car classes categories, using these make sense in filtering, however in rF2 classes are a mess and don't work, so we need a way to customise the filtering in the GUI for a race, not use the current messy fixed system set in the car mod)

Even a community made launcher like Content Manager for AC is better than this. While not the best in the easy to use department its 100x more functional. You can create a race against any set of individual AI cars you want (make your own class in the GUI), and it displays car and track details well. Once you learn it, its a very powerful UI.

This new UI is not going to bring new users to rF2 or attract those back , that left because the got fed up with the current clunky UI. For those that only race online its not a big issue , but those that race offline, the same issues persists.

We appreciate the effort to fix the UI, but I think you missed the point of what we want in a UI, a pretty look is a bonus, but we want simple and functional more.

AND where the hell is the exit button gone! ;)

Last edited: Dec 21, 2019
  3. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

One point missing is the numbers of pits available when choosing a track .
    At the moment (like before) it shows the number of pit only when the session is loading....

Akela_DE, J7166 and juanchioooo like this.
  4. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

Regarding skins import .The option CREATE is no more available?
    002.jpg
    003.jpg

5. Andregee

Andregee Registered

The new Ui does not work in VR for me, i allways get a crash

6. philmcqueen

philmcqueen Registered

Same for the showroom option?
    005.jpg
    006.jpg

Alessio Feletto and juanchioooo like this.
  7. ChiefWiggum

ChiefWiggum Registered

ok, it is a beta version, but sooo many troubles? I think Modders should not update the mods, I think there will be many changes.

8. nonamenow

nonamenow Registered

Is there any way of using chat commands with the new UI? I can't work out how to make myself admin.

9. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Same for plugins,
    on screen display (HUD),
    cursor when typing text,
    setup notes saved to nowhere

I found chat in the Alerts, top right of page,
    That was single player.

Alessio Feletto and philmcqueen like this.
  10. mixer61

mixer61 Registered

Sharing setups is easier !

11. mb24064

mb24064 Registered

So I spent a few hours using the new UI in VR last night just to give it an honest shot as I was pretty harsh and did not have a good first impression. I had much fewer issues since the first go around (and no real known reason why...)

* Just overall UI performance a bit as it still tends to freeze the VR screen a lot when loading or moving between pages. Non-VR experience was pretty good though.
    * A true UI scale would be nice I find the stretched UI is just too stretched and setting it narrow doesn't scale nice since your just changing horizontal scale
    * Really like the in game navigation of the "Watch" being able to switch cameras easy and the ticker at the top
    * Setup menu overall is OK but definitely room to consolidate and have fewer pages (has been mentioned many times)
    * Parity that didn't make it through as mentioned by others

Reflecting a bit I think if the intent was to at least get the "framework" in place we are pretty close. Hopefully with that framework in place improvements to the user experience that most people including myself grumble about will be able to come much more rapidly.

I have purchased 99% of the DLC released to date over the last few years (sans Formula E really...) to help support and move this sim to something I believe it can be. I think for now I am going to vote with my dollars and probably hold off a bit as this becomes more polished and I see what is actually in store with the competition system.

I dream of a sim that can hold some candle to iracing from a multiplayer experience with a driving experience to match and I don't think anyone has that goal in mind which is disappointing but will definitely be cheering S397 on for as long as I can so please keep trying your best.

bwana, Emery and makan like this.
  12. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

Now I feel kinda silly: I already sent a PM to Marcel asking him what I had done to deserve the honour after seeing that in my copy. Duh!
    I should've know there was a simple explanation :D

13. billyblaze

billyblaze Registered

that's actually been there for years...

Seven Smiles and bwana like this.
  14. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Firstly. Thank you S397
    I let the car and track updates download using old UI and then restarted and opted in to new UI, started first time and said it needed to restart to enable some functions (might have been another car or track loaded in transition).
    I've not had any of the big issues others have noted in the preceding 15 pages.

First impressions (after a couple of days) are that it's different to the old UI and therefore will require a re-learn of how everything is laid out. With a bit of searching and checking all the pages I found most things I was looking for. (So for new users it should be no problem)
    I like the fact you can change the layout as a list (preferred) or icons, nice touch.

There are some things that you have to go back to the old UI to find or use (they have been mentioned but I reiterate)
    Showroom, HUD and a few other non official mods, it would be nice to see them return once the bumps are smoothed out.
    I did notice that, as @Mark Fuller said, as a VR user there seem to be more micro lags during a race while opted in on the beta test UI.
    The other significant (IMO) missing comrade is the time left in session.
    It would be nice to have Exit and Race available in most screens (personal preference)
    Some choices seem to be un-selectable (not even sure that's a word) in the menus, like in the packages page as mentioned in a post :confused:.....back there somewhere. I'm sure this is something you're working on.

Overall, I think you've made a good thing and, once all the little bumps are smoothed, will be a great platform on which to build. The future looks bright. :cool:

As a beta tester, if I come across any bumps or flaws worth noting I will give constructive feedback to help with the process of moving this forward.

Thank you again.

TJones and pkelly like this.
  15. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Is that what you mean Jimmy?
    time left.PNG

Important control modifiers missing, doesn't make it easy for new people.
    contr.PNG

Plus it seems F12 screenshot (saved in ScreenShots folder, not Steam Overlay)
    works only in the Start (main) menu page and in-game after track loads. Doesn't work in any other new UI screen.

JimmyT and Alex72 like this.
  16. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

I comment in another thread, there is no option of sowroom or hub, the chat they have put is horrible, if someone sends a setup, if you do not open the chat you do not see it, it is a lost space under the TV window, many click:(:confused:
    you have to fix the interface, but I like it, I'm positive:), despite the failures:rolleyes:I hope you repair soon

philmcqueen and Alex72 like this.
  17. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

With so many screen, specially those with ultrawide screens, i think we should be able to customize the event menu overlay in pits. Like seeing the map under the TV screen and the chat somewhere. That way people will miss important messages. The text should be visible in the main screen...

juanchioooo likes this.
  18. GuitarTech

GuitarTech Registered

I've only just seen now it as I've always cut the credits short to get out of the game as quick as possible. I don't know what possesed me to let it run to the end yesterday, too lazy to click on the button I guess. Every day's a schoolday :D

Dookie, pkelly, bwana and 1 other person like this.
  19. djvicious

djvicious Registered

Has anyone found a fix for the flickering menu transitions in VR? This issue seemed prevalent before the beta release where the menus would flicker and track loading would have fade-to-black issues. I'm using an Oculus Rift and all my drivers are up to date.

20. J7166

J7166 Registered

I know it's been reported here several times, but still every time I launch with the new UI I see the button bar but the rest of the screen is black. I can't do anything. Sometimes after 5 or 6 restarts of rFactor2 the black screen will go away but I can't ever just launch into the new UI and play.