Engine sounds weaker then in engine sound editor

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by Spitfire1, Dec 6, 2019.

1. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Hey guys. I have a sound modding problem. My engine sounds are much less bassy and less raspy/distorted and realistic and they appear to be in lower quality when i set up the sound for the mod. In engine sound editor its really addicting and bassy and high res but in game it sounds flat and boring and not as addicting. My attention is on "Attentuation" inside the sfx file but it could be something else. How can i retain the awesome quality of the .wav file? The miles engine makes it less fun. Thank you.

2. Rock

Rock Registered

Hello Spitfire1,
    I did not notice any changes between my sounds and compression for the SFX. You have to check the format of your Wave (for me I stay in 16bit-44Khz).
    Tell me if your format is this one "16bit-44Khz"?

3. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Mine was 44100 hz and 32-bit float. Do you think this is the source of the issues? It sounds so great when i play the raw file yet ingame it is like it has 50% of it's potential and makes it not worth it really.

What does this do here below?:

// ATTENUTATION
    EngineRange=70.0
    EngineShape=0.95
    EngineAmbient=2.00

ShiftRange=80.0
    ShiftShape=0.90
    ShiftAmbient=2.00

OtherRange=80.0
    OtherShape=0.70
    OtherAmbient=0.70

4. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Can anyone help?

5. Rock

Rock Registered

I do not know if I can help you but I want to try!
    Why 32bit? that it is necessary?
    Where does this adjustment set "// ATTENUTATION" come from?
    in the Sfx I think but which section?
    I think there is a lack of data to help you!
    I am like a lot, RF2, I discover but a little detail helps to help.

6. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

It is in the .sfx file after the VS lines and before the rpm lines.

7. Rock

Rock Registered

These adjustments work on the restitution in the environment but does not seem to work on the quality. And your problem seems to be the quality!
    These lines are not the cause! I'm thinking more of a .Wav resolution problem.
    We suffer the same thing sometimes for the image, with a mega resolution and at the conversion or sample we get a pile of pixels.
    Other opinions will be welcome but I look for the resolution of the Wave.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I don't know what effect it has in game, but 32 bit float isn't really needed or useful for an output file. 16 bit should be plenty. It's certainly worth trying that format and seeing if that fixes it, before going into other details.

Attenuation is just about how the sound gets quieter with distance.

9. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

I just wanted to say that i found two issues. First issue was that i hadn't properly edited the sound to make it sound better in reality is was worse both in the audacity and in game so that was my fault not noticing it but i have since corrected it by listening to the original and learning how the original makers did it. The second issue was that when you save the sample in 32-bit float it will not load in game and will be muted. You have to save it in 16-bit PCM if you are exporting from audacity i don't know about other audio editing programs if it is the same there.

If anyone is curious what i did to make the samples sound better was to increase the distortion and play around with the bass treble to get it to match the original samples i wanted to replace. I am sad to say it didn't come out 100% like i wanted but it is getting there. I will show you guys these two cars i edited and how they came out. They are Shelby Daytona and Ford GT40. Both sound decent and are in Rfactor 1. This game is old yet it performs really well still despite the dated visuals which i luckily am able to look past.

Daytona
    https://streamable.com/lyki9?fbclid=IwAR13j3fafa2CA70qLFjfUQC-q1oqseT30lbsjTfWkBQdOiBgZbCT3oklQ0A

GT40
    https://streamable.com/lyfid?fbclid=IwAR0y9iYdkOlWDMyVt2YNVaAIwnIztpAUfrO82PKtw-Fn1H21WPkQBOCmM6Q

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    Emery and Arnaud Plume like this.
  10. Rock

Rock Registered

Great, I like what you did.
    Yes, the high medium and treble are the most delicate for junctions because the details are not audible when listening to the .Wav all alone.
    Pay attention to the length of the loops (variation sound) when working with real sounds. Between 6000 and 7000 RPM you have fluctuations for the "Daytona". I know it's easier to say than to do it and especially with Audacity ;-)
    It takes time to get a stable and sample with a good low / high balance.

11. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

I want realism yes but only like 99% the rest 1% i want it to just sound nice. I intentionally reduced the distortion and the ridiculous speaker and ear breaking decibels that the original makers of the historx mod put on their car audio samples. I looked into audacity and most samples were playing well above the red zone which can damage speakers and ears as well and i don't know why they did that. Strangely the makers of bmw m3 challenge which is from bmw themselves no? also had this problem where their audio samples were placed with ridiculous high decibels well beyond the red zone in audacity and it actually hurts to listen to it. I want to fix these small errors and make my favourite and in my opinion most realistic sim rfactor 1 as good as possible. I already have the most highest quality mods installed which is nice. If you guys want you can transfer it over to rf2 which shouldnt be a problems since it is all the same setup with sfx files no?. I bought rf2 but i can't run it fluidly even on low settings because of the requirements of the processing cpu for their new tire and chassis flex. Shame...

12. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

>>>>I looked into audacity and most samples were playing well above the red zone which can damage speakers and ears as well and i don't know why they did that. Strangely the makers of bmw m3 challenge which is from bmw themselves no? also had this problem where their audio samples were placed with ridiculous high decibels well beyond the red zone

Rfactor 2 sound system is like that. You need to increase samples to a level way beyond the red line. If you don't do it your in-game sound will be very low.
    Obviously, saturated sounds will be distorted up to a certain point. Surprisingly, this can be good for the overall result because it hides some undesired effects. But it would be great that we can choose our creation path and use ordinary levels (not saturated), so that we can preserve the quality of the original sounds we are using if desired...

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Raintyre I haven't tried to open up files, but haven't heard obvious clipping in official content I've tried. I seriously hope this isn't a modding approach, most of us use amplified speakers so don't need stupid loud samples.

14. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Then all the other sounds from environment and effects are too loud most likely. Instead of having these damaging levels i will lower everything else to have a lower baseline.

15. Spitfire1

Spitfire1 Registered

Even if you have no subwoofer and a bad speakers like from a laptop having extreme decibels won't make the sound any better.

16. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I never said otherwise. The point is clipping is distortion, and we can increase volume, so that's what we should do. I don't want distortion because people don't want to turn the game up.

*To paraphrase our good friend:

It's very important that the sound quality is as good as possible. REALISM is the key.

Real life doesn't clip (distort) when you're sitting in a car or watching cars go past, so a simulation shouldn't either. If you want crazy loud sound, turn it up to 11.

**and I'll just add that I generally run engine volume <100, so I don't see why modders would feel a need to push the engine samples to make them louder. The sound engine's shortcomings don't override the need for proper sample levels, because a bad sample can't be rescued (by the user).

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Spitfire1 likes this.
  17. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

@Lazza I am afraid there are more things happening there apart from the theory basics. It can only be understood when you get some experience working on it.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
  18. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Raintyre I last modded sounds around 3 years ago, there was no need for distortion to not be quiet. It seems unlikely it's changed since. But it may depend which mods you play - if others are clipped and overly loud, a normal one will seem quiet. But again, just turn the volume up. (I'm assuming correct configuration in the .sfx, and attenuation)

19. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

It is difficult to explain in a few words... But it is not a modders approach. Actually our complain is the opposite: we are forced to do that because of the sound system, not because we may like it.

20. Raintyre

Raintyre Registered

Apart from the "dark" matter of the subject, we can start with the observation of some undeniable facts. Let's go to a Rfactor 1 installation and open some official engine sounds, for example the acclaimed BMW F1 sounds or other... Yes, this is common practise since Rfactor 1 age. ;)

EDITED

Attached Files:

• FBMW.JPG
      FBMW.JPG
      File size:
      205.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019