Rfactor2 The VR thread -settings & tips

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Adrianstealth, Apr 30, 2017.

1. lockzar

lockzar Registered

Hi there,

Just bought an Oculus Rift S, and i have some, i guess stuttering issue ?

Its like a mini freeze every 2-3 secs, only on RF2 and Iracing, can't figure out why and this drives me crazy :x

No matter what graphical settings, even with 50% perf headroom (trough OTT monitoring), i can see the 80hz constant, with those lil drops to 75/77, resulting on mini freezes or looking at some objects/part of the track doubling for a millisecond, its not how smooth it should be pretty sure ! (coming from an HTC Vive 2 years ago, had no issues at 90hz)

So yeah doesnt matter the settings, ive tried lots of things on my hand, and it happen even while standing still not moving at all on the track :(

Looking trought forums, i guess it could be related to USB issue ? should i try get an PCI-express USB card ? im not sure ...

[8700K on Asus Z370-F GAMING & 1080Ti]

2. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

memoNo1 likes this.
  3. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

Perhaps see this link :

https://forums.oculusvr.com/communi...-oculus-mode-and-80-fps-and-vice-versa#latest

4. lockzar

lockzar Registered

Same issue with or without ASW :(

Some constant lil drops/judder below 80 (high or low settings with lots of perf headroom), even not movng at all on the track,

OTT reports a Motion photon to latency at 35ms, pretty high and seems about normal for the Rift S i guess ? i probably just cannot stand it. (was lower on Vive, and felt more smooth, no judder at all)

This post definds exactly what im experiencing ; https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/bs7wjo/rift_s_headtracking_jitter_and_high_photontomotion/

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  5. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

After all I've read read, I would prefer the Index of Pimax. A sharp picture is more important to me.

But there is another interesting candidate. The HTC Vive Pro Eye. This supports eye tracking.
    This means that the software keeps track of your pupils and only sharpens the point of view where you look.
    The rest remains blurred. This relieves the hardware immensely.

Unfortunately, there are two negative points.

1. rF2 currently does not support the technology (Project Cars 2 yes) and
    2. it's costs arround 1400 €.
    But in my mind that's the future.

That's why I'm split a bit.
    Upgrade to Index or save the money and wait for this technology?
    Most of the time, patience pays off.
    But on the other hand I would like to have a new toy :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  6. Mark Fuller

Mark Fuller Registered

Is this a problem?

I use the Oculus Rift and have seen many posts re freezes, USB power etc. I have noticed for some time that my Rift connection is not showing as USB3. It shows as 'Connected' and further investigation as USB2. My Rift is connected via a separate USB 3 card [as recommended by Oculus]. The sensor is also connected via the same card and shows the connection as USB3.

My question is - is the Rift connection a problem and is there anything I can do to change this? TIA

7. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Can someone remind me how to run rf2 with the Rift (non-S) without needing to fire up Home (I.e. the Oculus app)?

I was running fine for a year until something killed it this week. I've downloaded and installed the latest Oculus files and can now run normally - but I didn't have to before...

I have been using OpenComposite in place of Steam VR but this makes no difference to the startup. (When I fire up rf2 the screen mirroring shows that the Rift is being tracked, but I have the old black screen in the HMD).

I *thought* that I had moved away from the v1.0 Oculus runtime workaround, but maybe not?

Apologies for the repetition - can't find the required info. quickly in this 109 page thread!

8. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

9. MileSeven

MileSeven Registered

Thanks Sherpa25.

A quick test yesterday suggested that performance with the latest Home was still fine on my machine (2080Ti and old i7) so it’s just an annoyance really.

I last had to download the Oculus files in April though - wasn’t the current Home out back then? Between April and this latest installation, I definitely didn’t need Home to launch...

<edited to say> - I've just reinstituted the 'light' file workaround you linked to - and it's working fine. I guess I must have done the same last time and somehow nuked the folder last week (I think by accepting an OTT update...)

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    sherpa25 likes this.
  10. sherpa25

sherpa25 Registered

Glad it works fine. Yeah, not sure I remember too why I reverted to the latest Home from the “lite” version I was using before, as I took a break from VR due to the humidity. In hindsight, I’m guessing it might have had to do with my other VR games that prompted me to update Home (not sure). I might try the lite version again, and see what it may affect. I just dont like reinstalling Home from scratch as it took so, so long :(

11. MarcG

MarcG Registered

So my Reverb got delivered Monday (Black Fridayy deal at £437) coming from 3 years of using a Rift CV1, here's my initial first impressions after a good few hours each evening:

1 - The bloody thing turned up with a busted Right ear piece which is a PITA, needless to say "Support" was Abysmal as I was thrown around 3 different phone number and not one person could help a long with "this is the number you require" which was actually the first number I rang, truly was atrocious from HP.
    But then I was put in touch with the HP VR guy on Reddit who immediately apologised and whose level of customer service was 1000x better, he's since sent me some replacement earpieces which arrive Monday.

2 - The Visuals; It's like looking at a 1080p Monitor....no shit! Clear as day, if you try really really hard you can just make out the "screendoor" pixels stuff but when playing it is not noticeable at all. Night & Day from the Rift CV1....so so good. I can make out the top of the Screen beyond the Lenses if I strain my eyes upwards, plus when looking to all four corners and around the "edge" of the Screen I do see a bit more unwanted areas unlike the Rift, so the lenses could perhaps be a bit bigger to hide this but when playing they're not noticeable.

3 - Weighs slightly less than the Rift, comfort is a little worse as sits on the bridge of my nose a little tighter meaning long stints become uncomfortable, so I may have to "mod" this area with some sponge or something. There's no "nose gap" so light bleed isn't an issue but this makes using a keyboard impossible, I quite liked the CV1 nose gap especially for keyboard usage! Other than that the heavy Lead and 3.5mm headphone Jack are a slight nuisance, again a bit of modding required to make that more comfortable, overall the rest of the HMD straps are fine and good enough.

4 - FOV ever so slightly bigger in my Left Eye but for some reason the Right Eye is roughly the same, which is weird but probably something to do with my low IPD (59mm-60mm). But esentially there's no massive difference over the CV1 so the extra bit is barely noticeable.

5 - The "Blacks" are very dark Greys so Elite Dangerous/Night Racing is a bit odd but something I'll no doubt get used too, the Rift was better with Blacks. It is a bit of a let down though as though first impressions stick and I'll always know "it could be better" in this area.

6 - Tracking; Had a moment where it jumped me to the Roof of the car for some reason but with a quick button press I was back behind the wheel. I also had a strange one the other evening where in 1 session my viewpoint was slowly shifting to the side and I had to Reset VR View a couple of times in a 20min race. You do need a well lit area to play in, so I may invest in a brighter bulb for the room just to be safe, but other than the two above there have been no other Tracking issues at all - overall it's good so far.

7 - ...and this is just as amazing as the Picture Clarity; I was told by some people that you'd need a Rocket Ship of a PC to use this HMD with any Sims and that I'd be running with Low settings even with my new PC (i9-9900k, 2070SUPER, 16gb RAM).
    Well those Know-It-Alls could'nt be more wrong, with the SAME Settings as before (HIGH in RF2 with default 100% SS in SteamVR) with 29AI (GT3) at Adelaide my new PC *STILL* Pumps out 90fps at Race Start! I was not expecting this level of performance, it truly was a "WOW....LOOK AT THAT FPS!" moment as I simply could not believe it!~
    Any Daytime running and it's the same 90fps, It does drop when the headlights come on and also with a bit of Rain about but I don't have to lower settings that much to get a smooth racing experience.
    Elite Dangerous is smooth as silk and the HUDs are clear & crisp and so much easier to read, No Mans Sky (with the controllers, first time I've ever had these so that was fun) was smooth on HIGH Settings but ULTRA was a tad too jumpy. ACC was also a nice surprise, again in open air a rock solid 90fps but a few more drops in traffic (to be expected as it is a 2019 game), a bit of tweaking and it'll be just fine and a Sim I can finally dig my teeth into so I'm looking forward to that.
    Flight Sims are also great, no longer are enemy Planes are garbled mess 1km away, they are now clear many kms off in the distance, like Elite I'm able to read the HUDs and Instrument Panels much easier than before.

Conclusion; So yeah Visually it's leaps and bounds above the CV1 and seeing as I paid £549 three years agofor that (without controllers!) it's a huge step up. Performance wise it's simply stunning on my new Rig so I could'nt be more happy about that, just a right bitch bastard about the defective ear piece but that'll be sorted next week fingers crossed. The Reverb is by no means perfect, it has its flaws and unfortunately a friend on Discord has suffered the "Black Screen" after less than a weeks play (latest revision), so it still has it's Issues HP suffered many months ago. But aside from that it's a great upgrade to the CV1 which I briefly went back to (to compare FOV) and the Visuals were like I said...Night & Day and that's worth it alone!

atomed, GTClub_wajdi, memoNo1 and 5 others like this.
  12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Big thanks for the feedback Marc
    Enjoy your new gear !

MarcG and vittorio like this.
  13. bbgroovin

bbgroovin Registered

Hopefully someone can help me --- I use SteamVR with my Vive Pro.
    VR used to work a few months ago (I didn't use it much during the summer months) and have now started sim racing again and have updated all the apps/programs to the latest editions. Every time I try to start RF2 it comes up with a message saying that RF2 does not support VR ??? It used to .... now it doesn't ???

I used to be able to start the game and then go into VIDEO SETTINGS and then choose between regular, Oculus, and OpenVR (or SteamVR) .... now when you hit that button nothing happens. I have tried Beta v1117 (latest Beta version) and it still does the same thing. When you start the game with SteamVR running and my VIVE Pro on ... after you start the game a pop messages says RF2 does not support VR.
    Is this a SteamVR issue ?
    I used to love this game in VR when I was playing it last spring.

Hope someone can help,
    Thanks in advance,
    Bruce

14. bbgroovin

bbgroovin Registered

I should also note that SteamVR seems to have become very finicky on how you use it.
    For example, playing in AC you can play VR easily if you set it up as your video setting in Content Manager. Hit GO and it starts up in VR no problem.

ACC you cannot start it in VR from any of the desktop programs ie. Steam, NLR Platform Manager, or SimHub ..... they all come up with error saying you are starting it in desktop mode even if you choose SteamVR as the option with my NLR Platform Manager. You have to start ACC to play in VR WITHIN the SteamVR Home screen with your goggles on .... then it still comes up with an error message but if you hit Ok, it actually boots up in VR mode anyways.

I have tried every option I can think of with RF2 and get the same message before it starts that "RF2 does not support VR" I know it does, so must be some issue with SteamVR and RF2 talking to each other or something. Again used to be able to start RF2 and then go in Video Settings and choose OPEN VR or maybe it said just HMD + MIRROR or something like that but now when I hit that button, no further options pop up like they used to. Verified the files via Steam. Tried Beta versions ... all seam to do the same thing (at least the Beta v1117 I tried).

Any thoughts or work arounds ?
    Do you guys running Oculus have soo much trouble starting your games to play in VR as well ?

15. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Have you started the rF2 launcher then "settings" (the gear icon) and Video Settings? When that pops up there should be a listbox VR: with Disabled / HMD Only / MD + Mirror

Don't bother with the beta versions.

Rift user and ACC was a bit odd to set up at first (though I think they improved that when after the beta) but generally I have no great problems starting games in VR.

16. bbgroovin

bbgroovin Registered

Well I have tried everything I can think of. My VivePro works in SteamVR with no issues in AC or ACC.
    BUT I still can't get it to work with RF2 - I even did a complete fresh install.

Issue I keep running into is every time I hit the "Video Settings" button, the cursor goes into a circle for a second or two like the computer is trying do to something, and then nothing happens.
    I can run RF2 with my triples with no issues.

I used to have the Disabled / HMD Only / MD + Mirror under Video Settings when I played it a few months ago but there have been a number of updates to RF2 and to SteamVR since then .... and now it doesn't work for me. So my only conclusion is one of the updates isn't working with the other for RF2.

Anybody have any insight ?

Thanks in advance, Bruce

17. JimmyT

JimmyT Registered

Make sure you have opted out of all betas. Make sure you don't have force 32bit checked.

18. bbgroovin

bbgroovin Registered

No betas being used. Current build says 1117. Force 31bit is unchecked.

When I hit the Video Settings button at the top, the cursor changes to the spinning icon for a second .... then nothing happens.
    Go into single player and it starts up with no issues and I can play on my triple screens but seems to default to "disabled" in the video settings and have no way to change it. Somehow the option or screen that usually came up in the past and should come up after hitting "Video Settings" doesn't pop up.
    This is after a complete fresh install. No plugins that should be causing any issues, etc.

Any insight or recommendations appreciated !!
    Thanks in advance, Bruce

Goob likes this.
  19. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Try running c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\Bin32\rF Config.exe? I get 4 warning dialogs pop up then the video config screen.

Edit: better is to open a command window and
    Code:
    cd "c:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2"
    "bin32\rf config"
    It runs without warning dialogs then.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
  20. bbgroovin

bbgroovin Registered

Thanks Seven Smiles .... when I try running the "rF Config.exe" file in the Bin32 folder, I get the following error message:

The code execution cannot proceed because D3DCOMPILER_43.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem"

I do see a d3dcompiler_47.dll in the same folder but not a d3dcompiler_43.dll
    When I try to run the rFactor2.exe in the same Bin32, I get the same error message.

When I go to the Bin64 folder and run the rFactor2.exe file, it runs the program as I usually see it but still with the same issue as above when I hit the "Video Settings" - cursor changes to the spinning icon for a second .... then nothing happens.

I should add I am running a Windows 10 Pro system.
    Intel i7-8700 CPU @3.20GHz 3/19GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080