AMS2 vs rf2 visually

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tommy2Fingers, Dec 2, 2019.

1. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I wonder who's working on physics? Renato? I know it's not Neils. Anyway, first they need to learn and leverage completely different engine from ubiquitous ISI gMotor. Madness engine is quite capable, but many say the cars in PC2 were very inconsistent in therms of handling/physics. For me they all felt much different than in AC (same car, but granted that with default setups).

2. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

To me handling of pc2 cars was a joke as for simulation. Who knows how much of that was because of limitations of engine, and how much of that was because limitations of management and just not really giving a damn, because no-one has a damn clue anyway. I think Reiza definitely care, so I expect it to be as good as it can.

PS as madness originated from gmotor, I suppose it is not absolutely different.

Aaron O'Brien and Haris1977 like this.
  3. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I was keen to move over to ASM2 and ditch rf2, but unfortunately it seems the former doesn’t support modding.

Rui Santos likes this.
  4. makan

makan Registered

Capture.JPG

5. Tommy2Fingers

Tommy2Fingers Registered

yeah, no mods no go.

Rui Santos likes this.
  6. LokiD

LokiD Registered

For me it doesn't matter Only a small handful of mods are worth it. Rather then chase more licenses.

Akela_DE and williang83 like this.
  7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

GPL 2.0
    sorry: F1 Racing Legends 2.0

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Pauli Partanen likes this.
  8. LokiD

LokiD Registered

its my opinion nothing else. I rather trust in licensed content, not that I say its 100% correct as some mods are probably more accurate - but which ones is beyond me. :(

9. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

I was more interested in being able to create drivers/teams. Edit their abilities, strategies etc. not sure if Automobilista 2 offers that?

10. Tommy2Fingers

Tommy2Fingers Registered

but mods keep improving every year so... I'm sure one day a mod will be the best car/track in the sim.

11. Jason Mullin

Jason Mullin Registered

My primary goal with sim racing is immersion so graphics are a big deal.

I've always liked the look of rF2, to me out of them all it seems to have the most natural color palette.
    ACC looks astonishing at night and in the rain been just terrible during the day with Unreal temporal AA.
    AMS looked nice supersampled 8X.
    Assetto Corsa is okay but almost cartoonish, too warm for me.
    rFactor 2 and Project Cars are my two most played sims with the latter more for online racing as you can always find one.
    I think when setup properly they just look the closest to real life.

Tommy2Fingers and Rui Santos like this.
  12. Ermz

Ermz Registered

It'll be interesting to see what they can do with that SMS engine. It seemed like it had a lot of potential. Watching older road cars pivot around with their suspension geometry moving and the tyres flexing on the Nordschleife was really amazing in PCars 2, but the handling for most cars was an absolute joke. As said above, who knows how much of that was down to not enough modeling time, and how much was down to limitations in the engine.

I'd like to believe the engine is capable of a lot more than PCars 2 gave us in terms of sheer realism. Anything to push 397 would be great. If we see more sims biting at the heels of the handling model in rF2, that'll be great.

The problem is that the goals and solutions are at odds with one another. In order for us to get a lot of properly licensed and realistically-modeled content, we need a large developer with a ton of staff, and the financial clout in order to secure those deals. Yet in order to create a product that will sell enough to satisfy those criteria, it would need to be dumbed down to sell to people playing on the Xbox with their controller. Simulation has always been in a rough spot because of this, whether it be for racing or anything else.

13. Travis

Travis Registered

Unsurprisingly for SMS, there were bugs in pCARS 1 & 2 that affected the handling: https://www.racedepartment.com/thre...20-jerez-confirmed.175005/page-6#post-3069171

1- Niels described the bug well in this post - it was fixed by ISI at some point over rF1 development but it was still present in the older code the Madness engine is based on. You could somewhat get around it by plugging inertia values that accounted for the wrong formula, but our car physics had inertia values already set to the correct formula so this was an important bug to fix

14. racedriver

racedriver Registered

Same for me.
    I would like to go for AMS2, but the missing modding possibility keeps me back.

Rui Santos likes this.
  15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I’d not buy based on graphics

Rfactor2 at its best using good cars & tracks
    is decent enough

I’d pick it up if it has top physics/ffb & laser scanned tracks though

I’ve not bought Pcars 1 or 2 or Recent kudos title

Rui Santos likes this.
  16. stonec

stonec Registered

Actually they only mentioned the bug got carried over to SMS engine. I'd be astonished if it's still present in pCars 2, that would be complete amateurism, especially considering that they are working on much more difficult things like tire models. But yeah, I remember when I drove pCars around 2013 and some cars felt very odd, which might have been related to this.

mr.Sw1tchblade and Rui Santos like this.
  17. Travis

Travis Registered

Did you read the November dev blog post from Reiza?

So the issue was present in the code SMS had given to Reiza! It was also present in NFS Shift and Unleashed.

As a level 5 backer, it's this attention to detail that makes me happy Reiza are working with the Madness engine to improve it. I wish they'd stuck with isiMotor 2.5 as the Reiza rF2 DLC is excellent but I'm sure SMS gave Reiza a great deal.

avenger82, mr.Sw1tchblade and Korva7 like this.