Game overwrites player.json repeat shifts value

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by pety100, Nov 29, 2019.

1. pety100

pety100 Registered

Hello,

I have problem with downshifting, so I wanted to set up repeat shifts to value 5. But when I start the game and press race, in the player.json the repeat shifts value immediately switches back to 4. Before it worked, so I think maybe caused by the recent updates? I tried to reinstall the game, but still the same issue. Somebody can check me, do you have such a problem?

Thanks,
    Peter

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I remember someone saying option 5 no longer worked for them (could be years ago), not sure if that meant the game changing the value.

Generally though, people who want 5 work out they actually want a lower value like 2.

What issue are you trying to fix?

3. Cox

Cox Registered

I have a similar problem due to overwriting of player.json. Generally I set the value of look ahead angle forward to 0.7 instead of 0.2, but in the last few weeks this value returns to the default value when I press race.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you make any changes in the UI, then the edits you made to the json get overwritten. Change what you want in game. Exit, make your various and sundry json changes, then......NEVER touch any UI options again.

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@pety100 kept forgetting to try that, yes, looks like repeat shifts : 5 is no longer valid, so the game changes it back to 4. Whether that's deliberate or not is up to the devs to answer, but if your downshift issue is multiple downshifting then 4 or even lower values should be sufficient.

@Cox As dave says, if you're going to change values outside of their normal ranges (100% look ahead in the game is 0.2 radians) you can't change any settings in the game, or the game will revalidate and change your custom values back. I just checked and I was able to drive with it (and nearly throw up... that's pretty extreme on triples, and I've never been a fan of look ahead!) and exit the game without it changing back. But click any of those Settings and it will reset again.

@ADSTA The 5 setting is a different meaning to 1-4, but in my experience with dodgy paddles etc it was less useful than 1-4 anyway. I'm curious exactly what the downshift issue was, if 5 was fixing it better than the lower values.

6. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

I just checked the repeat shifts and 5 does get overwritten to 4. 4 should be plenty.

Dave, sorry mate but that isn't true. If it was I would be screaming blue murder and I'm sure a lot more would be too.
    All of my json edits don't get overwritten if I change something in the UI.
    edit: Are we talking about changing the same UI settings that you changed in the json?
    Well that makes sense. Sorry Dave.

davehenrie likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Na, it's actually in the middle of what you're saying and what Dave said.

If you have a custom setting outside the normal ranges, and change any setting in the UI that's on the same screen as your custom setting, the game will revalidate all the settings (on that screen) and save those when you leave the game. So you can change the look ahead in the file, then go into the game and change minimum FFB torque (which is on the same page) and the look ahead value will be reset to normal 100%.

It's always been like this in rFactor. I think it comes back to that UI-code link that's obviously been a mess for them to unravel with the new UI.

ADSTA likes this.
  8. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Well I'll be o_O. Never one to not test something......:eek:
    There ya go, after almost 8 years with rF2 and I have never heard of that cough little cough bug.
    I'm probably a bit "set in my ways" so I don't change many settings these days.