Le Mans 66 = Ford vs Ferrari in the States

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Nov 4, 2019.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

FvsF used surprisingly little in the way of CGI. It was mainly used to hide parts of full-scale replicas that were on dollies or add extra debris. Still, it is hard to disguise 60-100 mph as 150-210 mph... if you rely on mattes, then the matte line is going to show because you have daylight shots (see The Empire Strikes Back). Maybe adding motion blur would help?

2. woochoo

woochoo Registered

yeah in the trailer that seems pretty weak, but in the movie there is a little bit more around it.
    i can say i got a little frisson when the scenes "in France" fiiinally arrived. i didn't wet myself though

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I can imagine how special that is for you. Do you think it was convincing enough that it was le mans ? I find it interesting how some of those locations were chosen.

4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

There clearly were some track stand-ins for many shots, but there also were enough sections of Le Sarthe to recognize it. McQueen had the advantage of the filming the track for months immediately after the race. Most of the circuit from 66 no longer exists in a recognizable form.

vegaguy5555 and Emery like this.
  5. woochoo

woochoo Registered

the only way it could have been as authentic as the McQueen movie is if it was about the 2016 race, and partly filmed during that event.
    Of course i've spent more time than a typical person would picking out details in mid-60s Le Mans photos and videos.
    From the perspective of someone who has been doing what i've been doing, tight shots of the characters in the pit building were convincing enough. Actually, the concrete pit walls looked a bit too thick, and i'm not sure about the telephones either. The on-track scenes were more like watching a cartoon, in terms of the circuit's representation of reality. I knew going in that it wasn't shot at Le Mans, so i was prepared. Suspension of disbelief and all that.

I'm happy to say there was also a decent amount of comedy in the movie too. The degree to which any particular person found the comedic bits amusing is somewhat irrelevant.

TANGENT:
    I also found it pleasing that Matt Damon also played a pilot named Carol in 30 Rock

6. Emery

Emery Registered

I had to laugh when Mollie Miles is talking on the home phone because the phone had an RJ-whatever jack for the handset when it should have been hard-wired. Made me wonder why the prop department didn't have the proper phone in stock.

So, yeah, there was something off with the Le Mans pit phones, but without seeing Steve McQueen's version back-to-back, I can't put my finger on it.

There was one shot at Willow Springs where they're driving the track backwards at the pits. That startled me!

7. woochoo

woochoo Registered

i've heard it mentioned that the pit building set they made is going to be rebuilt at the Le Mans museum or something like that?

you'll be shocked by the real phones in the Le Mans pits of the time. Le Grand Circuit has the "authentic" phones, as seen in the 1970 movie and commonly mentioned by people recalling the period

the tall brown box on the wall, with the wired cup the guy in the red jacket is holding up to his ear
    upload_2019-11-23_14-16-46.png

Seven Smiles likes this.
  8. Travis

Travis Registered

I watched the film with my Dad yesterday and we both thought it was really solid film, despite the usual inaccuracies found in large hollywood films. During the credits, my Dad turned to me and said "I felt more sorry for Ferrari and Ken Miles than happy for Ford".

Le Mans remains the best film for me about the actual race.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  9. woochoo

woochoo Registered

based on a true story
    this popped up as a recommended "watch this next" for me. So i did :)
    This video is more or less a spoiler for the movie