Force AI to use same gas amounts to make pit stops?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by me you, Nov 24, 2019.

1. me you

me you Registered

is there any way to force AI to use same gas amounts so that they have to pit in a race like i do? I notice on a few tracks with certain cars, I run out of gas, and have to pit before end of race- but AI doesn't have to- i know i could adjust my gas amount so that i don't run out, but I'd like to have all cars have to pit, not just mine-

2. me you

me you Registered

it would make the game more strategic slightly if AI had to pit too- make it a little more fun- especially if a 2 stop race coudl be managed to draft enough to only have to pit once, etc-

3. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Use the "fixed setup" function, that allows to force the ai to use the same setup that you use.
    On the bottom of this site: http://meetme.bplaced.net/rF2_onlineTools/ you can find a download of a pdf, that describes what you have to do.

McKiernan likes this.
  4. me you

me you Registered

thank you very much Bernd- I'll give that a try tonight- can't wait to try this!- I'll set the amount of laps to a higher number to ensure they need to stop at least twice- just like my vehicle- I wish though that RFactor2 would have a setting to click that is called 'forced setups' as an option without having ot mess with files- hopefully they can add this feature in an update- I'm loving RFactor with it's great force feedback- such a cool racing game- wish it was more popular though not many servers with actual live racers in them-

atomed likes this.
  5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

@Bernd this does not work with KartSim rental karts, for the life of me couldn't make it work :( also AI fuel mult did not help with those, really weird.
    Edit: realized I might make them not pit by setting mult to 0.0, fingers crossed.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2019
  6. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Normally, the fixed setup should work for all cars, but i don't have and use these Karts, so i can not test it.
    Have you tried to use the fixed setup with a fresh userdata folder (backup your current one), to avoid any influence of manually edited files?

7. RoboCAT10

RoboCAT10 Registered

From my experience the AI don’t follow the fuel and tyre bales in the setup, which is a shame, unless I’ve been doing something wrong.

8. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf Registered

I was able to work it around by turning fuel consumption off :) Yay for rF2 and its insane flexibility!

9. Bernd

Bernd Registered

But with fuel consumption off, there is no need for pitstops, what the OP wanted to have, anymore.
    Can it be, that the fixed setup function is corrupted too, like the fixed upgrades function seems to be?
    I have not used it for a longer while.

10. me you

me you Registered

Bernd- I tried this last night, but sadly it didn't work- I even tried setting it so everyone would need to pit every 2 laps, just to test it but nope- didn't work- I checked the files it said to check, and everything was just like the post on that site described, but still couldn't force AI to use same setup as mine in regards to required pitstops- I tried several times- thinking perhaps the custom setup didn't load- but it had as my car was forced ot pit every two laps (Note, this was just for testing, I wouldn't run an actual race pitting every 2 laps lol)

I'll try again tonight- do everything over again, check the files to see if it loads etc- but i have a feeling it's not going to work sadly- Not sure why-

11. me you

me you Registered

that's my experience too so far- There is an "AI setup' or something like that when you are choosing the car you want to drive, but it's greyed out unfortunately-

12. RockShark

RockShark Registered

You could increase the fuel multiplier so a tank of fuel won’t last the full race. This will force the ai to pit. I use log analyser to see how long a tank will last and adjust it so one or two stops is needed to complete the race. Seems to work and they don’t all pit on the same lap.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  13. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Could you please post which car and track you use?
    I want to try it out with the exact same configuration.
    As said before, i haven't used the fixed setup for a longer while and maybe it realls was corrupted by an rfactor 2 update in the meantime.
    I'm sure that it worked in the past.

14. me you

me you Registered

Hi- Yes- I'm on brianza- the one with the oval (I think it's the 10k track?) using the mercedes FI i think it is- (one of the smaller ones- can't remember name- I'll check it tonight and report back here- I have the laps at 15 laps, gallons of gas at 18 (a little m ore i think) which means i have to fuel around lap 8

15. me you

me you Registered

Thanks Rockshark- I'll give that a try tonight- I'll put enough fuel in mine so i can make it to around lap 8 or so- and the AI should pit aroudn then too perhaps- hopefully

16. Bernd

Bernd Registered

It's not necessary anymore.
    I had time to make a short test with a car where it definately should work.
    But it didn't.
    So it really seems to be the case, that not just the fixed upgrades don't work anymore.
    Also the fixed setups don't works.
    So you have to try the above posted workarounds.
    Good Luck with it. :)
    It really is a shame, that such functions, that worked in the past, don't get fixed.

17. Mister Bronze

Mister Bronze Registered

I also use a fuel multiplier and have found that using a race with set laps as opposed to a time seems to help make sure the ai pit ok. There is sometimes the odd car that runs out but hey that can happen in real life.

so current fave is Nords 24hr layout with 24 gt3 (vln skin pack) plus me in a gt3. Btcc 125’s and renault clio cup which i think is 54 cars totaI. run a 5 lap race with a 2x fuel multiplier which means I can do 3 laps on a tank. Some AI pit on lap 2 and some along with me on lap3. Works really well. So will look at maybe doing a multiple of 3 laps to hopefully ensure the AI pit and can finish before running out of fuel.

18. me you

me you Registered

Hello Bernd, Yeah looks like I'm gonna have to do the fuel usage increase to get it to make them pit- but the problem is i have to increase it to 3x in a 15 lap race, which means I'm going through fuel wicked quick- i get only 2 laps for 10 gallons- so I'm pitting every 6 laps (which means I pit 2 times for the 15 laps since i can only put in 34 gallons max on this track). This is ok though for this track and the small number of laps- I basically wanted 2 pit stops anyways- so it works out for this track-

If we had a way to set AI settings how we want though- I could set the AI to use only 18 gallons of fuel like my car used to be, set the fuel usage to 'Normal', and everyone would pit just once for 15 laps, but i can't set the AI settings, so they get maximum fuel while I have to increase it to max on mine every-time- it's not too big a deal though-

Hi Mr Bronze- Yup- That's what I'm doing now- using the multiplier- seems to be working well- I'll just have to adjust number of laps to compliment the fuel multiplier that i choose ie: I'll up the laps to say 20-25 or so on Brianza (which is a kind of longish track) and use fuel multiplier of 2- that was i can get a number of laps in before needing to pit- while also ensuring AI has to pit- just gotta find the optimal laps vs fuel multiplier amount-

atomed and Mister Bronze like this.