Creating track with Civil 3D

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by Lenniepen, Aug 24, 2015.

1. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Hi there,

I've tried creating a track with 3Ds max, but since I'm learning Autodesk Civil3D right now (for professional reasons), I figured Civil 3D is made for road design, with all the proper alignments, bankings, runoff areas, barriers, surroundings etc in a dynamic way.
    I know there are multiple ways to create the link between Civil3D and 3Ds max:
    - Create surfaces in Civil3d, importing the dwg-file in 3Ds max, creating mapping coordinates etc in 3Ds max manually
    - using the add-in Civil View in 3Ds max, to automatically create surfaces and texture mappings (with some stretching here and there) from a Civil3D design.

Does anyone have any experience designing a track in Civil3D and then converting it for rF2 (via 3Ds Max for example).

Thanks in advance

2. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

I had a little experience with it back when it was newer, but never used it for games. I worked in a survey company for a while. Should work just as you described, though I might choose a better format than .DWG. Probably FBX... comes as a plugin for Autocad and the like. Last time I checked that is...

3. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

This is going to change soon, when ISI releases gJED.

gJED Wiki

Take a look at this documentation, which gives very detailed information about new workflow.

With gJED it doesn't matter which 3D application you use to create your tracks. Only requirement is, that 3D application can export your track on FBX - format (which can be imported to gJED).

You can model and apply texture mapping with your favourite 3d application, export it to FBX, import it to gJED and finetune your materials and finally, export it in game.

With gJED you are not tight to 3ds max anymore.

4. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

Looks like you need to make sure you're using the right coord setting when exporting and importing. make sure you have productivity pack 1 and read these two pages. Like JKA said, you'll want FBX. I haven't seen anything about export out. So make sure to do a test of something small but aligned with the earth axis in a way that you can check the location after import export.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG2_wZmqOs8

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/infra...civil-3d-in-the-correct-location/td-p/3940629

5. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

Thanks for the answers!

I've read about gJED, which seems just what I need :)
    Civil3d can export to FBX, but in order to directly export to gJED, you'll have to do all the texture mapping and material assigment (including submaterials) in Civil3D. I'm not sure I could do all this correctly in Civil3D, so maybe I have to use 3Dsmax to do this.

6. Kristoff Rand

Kristoff Rand Registered

7. INTEL48

INTEL48 Registered

just got Autodesk Civil 3D 2016.....wow what a program....need some real help with this one

8. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

I've done some of the Tutorials (help-menu), which were doable for me

9. anzx

anzx Registered

Hi, is this topic still active? I'm Civil engineer and I would like to test the designs with rfactor2 simulation. Is there a quick way to get it to rf2?
    Is there a chance to do that?

Attached Files:

10. lordpantsington

lordpantsington Registered

Polygon topology, and material texture mapping would be my two initial concerns while trying to use meshes generated directly from C3D.