Le Mans 66 = Ford vs Ferrari in the States

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Nov 4, 2019.

1. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I swear I thought these scenes were CG or some toy car small scale manipulation, till I see this video. Check out 4:44 and 5:54

2. jonrarit

jonrarit Registered

Superb video....thanks for posting

3. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Even better one was recomended by YT to me

makan and vegaguy5555 like this.
  4. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Ford vs Porsche movie confirmed, it will be 90 minutes movie about last 10 minutes of Le Mans 1969

vegaguy5555, Emery and pascom like this.
  5. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

There is a biography on Netflix about Ford versus Ferrari.

pascom likes this.
  6. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Has anyone tried these cars?

There's a P4 too.

7. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Yes. And if you want physics there will be better choice soon.

8. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

So.... another mod? Or there's a physics update coming?

9. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

10. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Oh man rF2 does the best historic cars physics. Nothing gives you rubber on the road the way rF2 does.
    The Ford has a nice heavy, big bock feel and then I tried the P4 thinking it was going to be more nimble but instead was quite tail light and hard to manage. Setup I'm guessing?
    But overall very nice cars to drive.

11. traction

traction Registered

seen the film it's great, now please remove that very very irritating advert............

12. woochoo

woochoo Registered

it could be a contractual thing that it must be in there for some pre-defined promotional period for the movie.
    i normally escape before the rF24 event ad gets very far so i tend to forget that it's also an ad for the movie (which i saw and enjoyed)

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

My only complaint, was Matt Damon doing Carroll Shelby sounded like Tommy Lee Jones doing Tommy Lee Jones. I kept expecting Robert Duvaal to come riding in and start arguing with him.
    click the mouse button, even faster. or...... to really get rid of the movie....delete the Steam folder.....

14. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Some different opinion

One guy in the comments nailed it, by saying that it is still awesome that a movie about this is made, even if it is not as classy as ti could have been. It is not 60s-70s, when hollywood still had little bit of class in it, hollywood knows for years by now what to make to make money. Same principles applies, or will apply to anything that is meant for masses.

15. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Problem is Mantas, if Hollywood had made it the way it wanted to, you'd get millions of car nuts hacked off it wasn't realistic enough.

Rush had to tread that fine line between 'this actually happened' and then 'we need some extra dramatic effect'. I watched Sully recently and they added a lot to the investigation process than actually happened to pad it out.

16. Filip

Filip Registered

Off topic but now I am curious about what was added to the investigation process in Sully movie?
    As far as I know only thing that Sully said wasn't correct in the movie was NTSB investigators were represented as hostile while in real life they acted professional.

17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

That's what I mean, they added the dramatic effect to stop it getting boring.

18. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

I think that the single thing that Hollywood want to do is to make money, perhaps somehow make a good movie too, but it definitely goes after all those success formula bits and pieces that makes 40 year old average joe and typical 12 years old kids to go "wow, kool, yeah".

I agree about that they want to make film that is supposed to make you forget to blink and in general shut your brain off, anything else is considered as boring... I have experienced this myself, I grew up watching typical movies on TV. Long story short dues to some influences I got into old movies, 70s, 60s, 50s, 40s, 30s even 20s. One of the first movies from Golden Era that I have watched was "Vertigo" by Hitchcock. It took me some will not to skip scenes at the beginning, it probably was not less than 40 minutes till I got dragged into the movie, soon I began to understand the art behind this, not only overall class and style, but also the way plot is developing. It was hard to get focused at first as being used to instant full blast dopamine generators that later Hollywood has become. But it is so rewarding, no overacting, no overblown intensity of the action just adds up to increasing excitement as movie goes, by the end of the good movie you wish it has never ended, like a great dream. Modern stuff is flipped 180 at first you get desert, and then by the end of the movie you are kinda glad it is over. As a youtuber you are certainly also familiar with this, as it is usual to put some short exciting clip at the beginning to hook up a lazy uncertain viewer, not to mention silly thumbnails and clickbait titles (not saying anything wrong about you specifically). The habits of this views and attention harvesting are simply bad.

Coming back to the "Vertigo" by Hitchcock, after watching some more classics (I have watched lots of them), I came back to watch "Vertigo" again. Even though I was watching it second time, it easily got my attention locked from first minutes. This told me that these dopamine levels required to keep attention are easily trained. Like less sugar. Or less fast food... Of course it may be more difficult when talking about nations of millions people that are not even slightly willing to do anything differently.

Steve Mcqeens "Le Mans" movie is great example of this patience thing... It is quite slow on the beginning, even the start "heartbeat" sequence may seem slow to majority. It wont buy you if you are watching this sequence already drifted away by the time flag drops and suddenly super loud boom shot of 917K exhaust is shown. It gave me chills, I watched it with headphones set on loud, and absolutely didn't expect that, it was most amazing to me.

So in general whole plot is very important, but the whole picture consists of countless little details, and god is in the detail. Or devil if it is messed up, right ? I have not seen F vs F movie yet, I watched an interview where director said that they wanted to make a reasonably mature movie, not dopamine generator, so I hope it is good. But I doubt, even in the trailer there are few stupid scenes, such as H.Ford crying like 1 month old baby after being driven a bit by C.Shelby, this to me sums up the stupidity, it is scene for 12 year olds to chear up on.

End of rant. Sorry for wall of text, I don't have anyone to talk with except my dog, so you can ignore me if you think I am stupid or something lol

Seven Smiles and vegaguy5555 like this.
  19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

With all the CGI effects, I'm still waiting for them to file on-track traffic that is racing, not crawling at 20mph. NOTHING kills immersion more than to see nearly stationary cars being passed while everyone is being a fecking turtle. You'd think they could film an empty track at 150mph then super-impose cars, so the track appears to be zooming by and the cars relative speed to each other is calculated to show negotiating traffic.
    Off topic, but technically related..I have seen youtube footage of desert racing trucks in slow motion as they lept from jump to jump. But it really wasn't slo mo, just the speed of the two trucks was so close they appeared to be moving slowly. When the trailing truck got too close and hit the rear bumper of the leading rig, the 2nd one vanished from the shot as his momentum was stopped. THEN the true speed of the trucks was visible. Gimmie that, film at speed, shoot(dang), they don't even use real cars half the time anymore...so when they do, film at speed. not crawling along just to show congestion.

and talking to a Dog is not so bad

20. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

No, that was a pretty good read actually.
    It is interesting how the movie trends change. And you're right about YouTube "disappointment" videos.
    And then you get the rip off sense like the slow motion flying kick from The Matrix movies that plagued low quality movies for a decade, which worked in The Matrix because of the explained plot.

Now we have the Game of Thrones influence in movies.

But today we definitely need the instant satisfaction within the first five minutes it seems, but the problem with that is the lack of any kind of build up like an old Hitchcock movie.
    Maybe they should just go back to short skirts and big boobs thyme from the 60's?:p

mr.Sw1tchblade likes this.