HELP!..No controller (TM500 ferrari add on) detected in rF2

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by Paulo_MFR, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Victor Miguelez

Victor Miguelez Registered

Thanks for the links I appreciate it. I start at the center and turn left and or right till hitting the bumpstop, as it is usually the more or less standard way of doing it. But I noticed that when doing so, the left turn registers immediately after starting to turn left way before hitting the left bumpstop. When tried the right turn, same process but there is no "register" of the movement and the software keeps the message of...waiting for input,etc. Now, I will try tonight to do it as Doddynco suggested.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I've never felt that notch feeling you describe at center with my TS-PC. I've, since the beginning of recorded time,(GPL) centered the wheel before going left then centered before going right. I'll have to give your method a try.

3. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Same here Dave. I've had G25, Fanatec Porsche GT3 RS, Thrustmaster T500 and now a SimuCUBE v1.Never felt a centre notch. Always centred first. No problems.
    I tried doddynco's method:
    and this is what I ended up with with the wheel still full right.
    GRAB_056.jpg

Turn wheel to centre
    GRAB_057.jpg

Click centre, :rolleyes: or center for the rebels
    GRAB_058.jpg
    and that's better and how it should look, but in my opinion, no noticeable difference.

doddynco, I'm in no way saying you're wrong and I'm right but it looks like there's more than one way to skin a cat, pluck a duck or assign your steering inputs.

Unfortunately for poor Victor this all might be of no use.
    Although I just thought of something Victor, I don't know about the SimuCUBE 2 software but in the v1 software there is a "Configure motor, encoder and Center Point" option.
    Maybe something similar in the v2 software?

Last edited: Nov 20, 2019
  4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

You need to centre the wheel afterwards yes. Axis swap point (not really a deadzone) can be felt if you go slowly and turn left right left right quickly. If you run a dd at high power you should feel it clear as day, but I also remember having it on a T500.

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

You probably have got spiderman senses where mine are probably more spider pig.
    I will put my big boy pants on and turn the power up on the DD for a quick test of the axis swap point.

6. doddynco

doddynco Registered

It happend to me yesterday when I finally got round to making a profile for a usb formula rim. I'm having trouble recreating the problem but it's happened quite a few times, with different wheels too. I'm absoluelty certain that this does happen and that the way to fix it is the 'start at the bumpstop' method - I would just do it this way everytime anyway, as there's no harm.

7. Victor Miguelez

You’re right.I tried his method and didn’t work. It works starting at the center as usual.I had to change the rotation to 540 though. 900 degrees don’t work. Maybe is the car ( porsche 911 GT3)

8. Victor Miguelez

Unfortunately for poor Victor this all might be of no use.
    Although I just thought of something Victor, I don't know about the SimuCUBE 2 software but in the v1 software there is a "Configure motor, encoder and Center Point" option.
    Maybe something similar in the v2 software?[/QUOTE]

Thanks ADSTA, I finally was able to configure it. I used the traditional method ( from center turn right, left) and it worked. The SC2 software (True Drive ) was configured at 540 as well as rhe sim. It is a porsche 911 gt3. I don’t know why with 900 degrees it never works, maybe it’s because of the type of car. The problem I see is that you never know from the beginning what are the rotation specs for the car when. When loading a new car the new rotation is not stated as far as I know, so one has to discover it.

9. Victor Miguelez

So far, my only problem is rFactor2, where no controller is detected at all. Hopefully somebody has a solution on this. I read somewhere that a new .json file has to be replacing the controllers.json where new or different hardware ID’s need to be included, but it’s a little confusing to me so I don’t want to experiment in something I don’t totally grasp, specially in windows where device management is somehow cryptic. I am a Mac user mostly

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@Victor Miguelez The type of car you've selected doesn't/shouldn't affect controls assignment or calibration at all. I don't know why it's giving you issues when you set your wheel to 900°, maybe the way the steering axis presents itself is unusual (the only insurmountable problem I'm aware of is a custom controller using separate axes for steer left and steer right).

The 'normal' way to get around different cars is to set your wheel to its maximum rotation, then use the game's software rotation lock feature to change that lock inside the game (only) for different cars you select. You'd do that by following this post (I link to it, rather than paste the whole thing again). It may have some detrimental effect on advanced wheel settings because the wheel thinks it's still on full rotation all the time, but for the most part this should be very minor.

Personally I've never used the controller detection in rF2, and even only loaded the preset profiles for checking/testing purposes. I've always started with the default keyboard set and assigned all my controls manually. So don't get hung up on no controller being detected, that's not an issue in itself.

@doddynco I don't know what sort of weird bugs you've had with your wheels over time, but your method of assigning the steering doesn't produce any different result to doing it the normal way. The only controller.JSON entry affected is the steering axis, for me using your method changed it from this:

Code:
        "Controller 1 Axis  X Zone":[
        ],

to this:

Code:
        "Controller 1 Axis  X Zone":[
        ],

and there's only a difference because I obviously didn't exactly centre my wheel. There's no change to the number of axes or deadzone or anything.

11. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I will just say one last thing in this thread in regards to this which is that I suspect my controller profile didn't look like the top example before I did the fix. And that if it happens again I will be sure to send you and s397 the controller.ini to take a look at. I suspect it splits steering into 2 separate axis for some reason. It is certainly a bug and no doubt other people are running with it unknowingly - I wonder in what other ways it messes with the FFB.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I think it's better to stick to facts. If it happens again I'd certainly be interested to see the file, as I said someone with a custom controller actually wanted them on separate axes - if there's a way that's actually promising.

In the meantime I don't see any benefit in speculating what might be wrong, how many people it could be affecting, and what else it might affect. Without something more substantial that's just conjecture and could be said about anything. I think there's a lot of doubt in this.

Many of us have assigned the normal way, for years, without issue, I would suspect nearly everyone else is fine too. But who knows.

mel1c likes this.
  13. Victor Miguelez

What piece of garbage rFactor2 is. No controllers detected message all the time! All other sims ( ACC,AC, PC2 , RR, iRacing) work perfect with no issues other than tweaking here and there for calibration.I have tried all different suggestions provided in this forum to no avail. I hope AMS2 don’t have the same problems sine it will use the rf2 engine.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

sorry you can't seem to find the solution. Most users, who have reported problems, usually come back with success, so I can understand your frustration.
    I'll go back and summarize what I know about TM products and rF2, probably all of it has been mentioned above, but just being thorough.
    (below I will list several steps in the settings controller section of the main rF2 program. Please ensure you are in single player mode to reach that menu. Get things working solo before attempting to connect in multi) ((when you assign the steering axis, click on the left steer and then rotate the wheel ALL the way to the left and return to center. Then click right steer and rotate all the way to the right before returning to center))

1st in windows, the WHEEL must be the preferred device.(TM control panel) and while you are there, check the windows calibration.
    2nd. You must make sure the wheel is connected and powered up BEFORE launching rF2.
    3rd Don't make stray mouse clicks while rF2 is loading. I sometimes do that when I'm not paying attention, kinda like doodling on scratch paper, I'm just clicking or moving the mouse to past the time. This can cause the startup to hang.
    4th Before you go to the track, choose the settings and then the controllers section. Move your wheel and pedals to see if they activate the charts/graphs near the bottom of the screen. If you don't see any motion, go to the individual commands and assign at least steering left/right, throttle, brake, & clutch(if you have that). Then go back to the controls and verify the wheel and pedals perform as expected. Pay attention to the buttons below each controller. They do perform functions, even though they don't appear to react to your mouse click.
    5th. You may have noticed, I did not attempt to load or detect a controller yet. Only do that as a last resort.
    if nothing else works, you can use the left < and > arrows to scroll through pre-built profiles. There should be several listed for TM300 and TM 500 wheels.
    Because rF2 apparently is blind to your wheel, only use the 'detect' function if nothing else works. And even if it does detect your wheel, you may still have to repeat most of these steps and assign commands to your wheel and pedals.

15. Victor Miguelez

Thanks Davehenrie, I have tried all of that and nothing worked. Rfactor2 worked just fine until the last Steam update apparently ( according to some forum comments).

Btw, I dońt have TM, my base is Simucube 2 Pro, plus Fanatec V3 pedals, various Fanatec Wheels with USB conversion kits, Ascher Racing F-28 wireless wheel, Fanatec Shifter, DSD buttom boxes. Any of these devices is recognized in rF2. The last time rf2 worked for me was with my V2.5 Fanatec wheel base ( which I replaced with SC2). As mentioned, no problems with all other sims. So, hopefully in the next Steam update something will be fixed ( if only for serendipity)

16. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I 'thought' we'd moved on, but was going by the thread title.. scatter brained.
    Does Simcube have it's own forum at a website? Might be others had Steam issues as well.
    bol

17. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

In Steam Settings/Controllers and Steam rFactor2 properties, make sure you have no Steam controller input set.