[REL] Realistic Gearshift - version 2

Discussion in 'Other' started by Seven Smiles, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

That says the "Neutral" key presses are not getting to rF2 so either the key code used by Gearshift doesn’t match what rF2 is set to (the latest version of the Headlights program checks that, for some reason I hadn’t thought of adding that to Gearshift) or rF2 does not have focus when the key presses are sent.

2. jual

jual Registered

in the past I had that behavior and get it suddenly back.

The Num_0 ist configured for neutral, but if I press Num_0 on the keyboard (no shifting) the monitors are tilting and I hear the grinding without getting the neutral.
    Some days before I have the situation pressing the neutral on the keyboard I get the neutral, but not the tilting or the neutral if I do a miss shift (only the grinding), very strange.
    I have another program running, Simhub.
    what is the Headlights program ?

3. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

4. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Why am i discovering such things always that late...i will give it a try tomorrow, thanks in advance for such a mod! Extremely appreciated!

5. jual

jual Registered

I have just found out that the tilting is caused from the function cam tilt left mapped with KP 0.(Erasing the mapping stops the tilting)
    If the car is standing and I press the keyboard Num_0, the neutral is shortly engaged ,(can see in the gear display of the sauber C11),
    if the car is driving and I press Num_0 the neutral is shortly engaged too + the monitor is tilting.
    Can only stop the keyboard caused tilting by pressing the clutch and changing the gear.
    If I start RF2 without running gearshift.exe pressing the Num_0 effects only correctly the neutral.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@jual It sounds to me like Realistic Gearshift is 'pressing' KP 0, while your Neutral is assigned to Num_0.

Because you've got Cam Tilt Left assigned to KP 0, that's what Realistic Gearshift is pressing (lots of times) causing your view to oscillate. I haven't used a recent version of this program yet but I'm guessing that when you're sitting still it doesn't force itself to keep hitting Neutral (or, the fact you're rolling makes the game keep engaging the gear in a different way).

Seven Smiles likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Just tried this version, I'll keep to the old version I have as I prefer the behaviour (need to shift back to Neutral, and hit clutch, before re-engaging gear - just pressing the clutch isn't enough). It also seems the clutch bite point parameter is linked to the old direct controller code, and has no effect with the shared memory version, meaning the lightest touch on the clutch is enough to avoid the graunching.

8. jual

jual Registered

I think the tilting as an indicator is not bad, as long as it works,but what is the assignment Kp 0, I can not remember done this ?

9. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Gearshift does not make any changes to rFactor files so I don't know how that happened. As I said above, try setting Gearshift to use a different key.

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Realistic Gearshift presses DIK_NUMPAD0 by default - that's the same thing the game calls KP 0. (keypad 0, also known as numpad 0)

At some point you've assigned that camera control to KP 0, which is why this program is activating it. You need to either assign the Clutch to KP 0 (Not Num_0 - that's the one you're pressing on your keyboard in the video), or tell Realistic Gearshift to press that Num_0 (or some other key you assign clutch to).

Reading my post above I realise I wasn't clear on that. You haven't told RG what to press, so it's pressing the KP 0, which you assigned to Cam Tilt Left. You need to set them to different things, and importantly you need to make sure RG is pressing your Clutch key.

*AARRRRGGHH! I meant Neutral, not clutch. Need to assign neutral. :oops:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  11. jual

jual Registered

that it what I suppose too, but If a assign the mathematical Zero to a button, Rf2 labels it with Num 0, the KP 0 is a result if a load a default controller preset. Maybe RF2 uses two mappings for the same, having two buttons for one function.
    What I do not understand is, why can I not stop the tilting while driving if the num 0 is pressed on the keyboard (not touching the gear) until I press the clutch and change the gear ?

12. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Mate have you a link for the older version?

13. Dave^

Dave^ Registered

memoNo1 likes this.
  14. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

Ther are many vers. selectable.
    Which vers/nr do you use excatly?

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You're pressing neutral. The car goes into neutral, then back into gear because you release it.

Realistic Gearshift sees that you've changed from neutral to a gear without pressing the clutch, so it starts "pressing neutral" - which is KP 0. In your game, that's Cam Tilt Left.

I stuffed up my last post, had the clutch on my brain after talking about versions. You need to assign Neutral to KP 0, or set RG to press whatever your Neutral is set to (for you, that's Num 0).

That keyboard of yours doesn't even have a KP 0. I wouldn't recommend using that for Neutral because sometimes you may need to press it. So take the Num 0 option.

16. jual

jual Registered

Although I have nothing change, today I have the situation that GS probably send no Num_0 and the effect from yesterday disappears.

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I haven't found the exact .exe I have on that list (I didn't rename it to a version when I downloaded it, and my .exe doesn't have a version number embedded in it), but it's very similar in size to this version, and the notes regarding it sound like when I got it too:

https://github.com/TonyWhitley/gearshift/releases/tag/V2.0.31

Note you have to get the "Configurer" as well, and assign your controls in it (it doesn't read controls direct from rF2).

If I get some time I may install python etc and have a go at adjusting the code for the latest version, as it's a neater solution. Nevermind, after 20 mins stuffing around I can't my head around even installing pygame, I think it'd be easier to make my own plugin from scratch. I'll stick to my version.

@jual I think it's very difficult to communicate about this via text. In person it would be quite easy. GS never sent Num_0, that's the one you were pressing on your keyboard. GS presses this one by default (you don't have it on your keyboard):

[​IMG]

(You can probably assign to it by using a Fn key and one of your letters to emulate the numpad [at least that's how it works on laptops, usually] but as I said, you want to be able to press Neutral manually easily in case you need to - I think by default when you assign Neutral you need to press Neutral to get to Reverse when using paddle shifting)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    memoNo1 likes this.
  18. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

You should see the version printed
    Gearshift.2.0.31.jpg

Pretty sure pulling both paddles still selects Neutral.

19. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

Thanks, I checked that, the code is there but the value from gearshift.ini is not used :oops:

20. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I didn't think to look there, I seem to have V1.5.27 :confused: :D

Yes, that's true. I have a T500 with F1 rim and can't pull both paddles, I forgot that detail :)