So, how did the LM 24hr event go?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by davehenrie, Nov 10, 2019.

1. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I caught the stream just before nightfall, there were some comments about the race starting late. but over-all it seemed to be technically solid.
    My biggest complaint was the commentators were backing up the stream to view an accident or contact, but we could only hear them looking at it. If rF2 is going to be the base for esports and such, it must develop a solid replay broadcast system.

Ernie and Emery like this.
  2. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

They had to do a re-start after 7hrs not sure why, chat was implying driver swap disco issues but saw nothing official about it.
    I watched Qualy and the first 7hrs then on and off until bedtime. Got up this morning and watched the last 5 hrs until the finish.

Some great racing, some fantastic drivers & a very well handled event. Including the restart where they managed to put all on the lap the leader was on at the time of the re-start. Impressive!
    Last few laps some of the drivers were risking it all going for fastest lap....Sod that after 23hrs 40mins :)

Congratulations to the podium guys and all involved.

Result HERE

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019
    TJones, Seven Smiles and Risto Kappet like this.
  3. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

It was a disaster. People dropping. Like 5-6 restarts. Code 80 for long periods of time. This definitely changed the outcome of the race and I suspect some teams are already thinking about taking some steps towards dealing with it (on legal route perhaps) since there was serious money on the table.

VirusGR42 likes this.
  4. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Amazing what you miss when asleep

5. TJones

TJones Registered

Going through the final roster, looks like Lorenzo Arisi did not only personal, but overall fastest lap with: 3:27.18, in the very last lap of this 24 hour race. Really remarkable! :)

6. theother5

theother5 Registered

From a viewers perspective, it was good overall. A driver/team point of view will be different surely but not in scope of the OPs question.

I watched the first few hours, then had the next 5-6 on the back ground before leaving it and picking up the last 4 hours on the Sunday.

The Code 80's are part of the experience I guess and the red flag around hr #5 mark was concerning. The took most of an hour and I was worried for the event during this time.

I know the restarts (multiple) initially failed (something to do with getting the correct lap counts per driver wasn't working automatically) but it was finally sorted.

I did need to remind myself that this is an amateur event. However, I get the impression that it is aspiring to be much more.
    And I hope is does become much more. eSports are a thing and rFactor2 has a place to claim in this arena.

Go Handy!

7. Depco

Depco Registered

were they using the new Competition Infrastructure in any capacity?

8. Chris Lesperance

Chris Lesperance Registered

Code 80? I didn't watch, but as far as I know, that sort of implementation isn't currently in game.... Unless if I'm missing something?

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Code 80 was enforced by voice chat.(required to race I believe) Race director would see an issue, and begin a 10 sec. countdown allowing all cars to get down to whatever the enforced speed was. Then a 10 sec countdown (or would that be a count-up? )when the code 80 was completed.

10. Daniele Vidimari

Daniele Vidimari Registered

I wish this will be implemented in-game, so there will be no need to use the now expensive Team Speak, and the penalty for code80 infringments would be issued directly live, with no additional (huge) work for race directors.

atomed and VirusGR42 like this.
  11. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

Instead of expensive TS you can use mumble/murmur - its free and open source and does everything TS does and better
    https://www.mumble.info/

sry for OT
    .)

or discord and pay also

atomed and The Iron Wolf like this.
  12. Obviously Discord wont work for various reasons. I´d like for drivers in teams to be able to talk to each other and then i´d also like to be able to interrupt them. You cant whisper in discord.
    And no, i´ve tried Mumble over the years and its definitely not better. Its an alternative true, but better - nope.
    While that might be true in some instances, its very wrong in others.
    We had a few new commentators that i have not worked with in the past, meaning they would not be used to how i work - but to be able to catch something really quick, and wrong pronouncing of a driver may lead to a very late catch of any incidents. Thats just ONE of the many things that made this harder. Also the actual team that was suppose to broadcast bailed very late on us, but well in the end our broadcast looked so much better :)
    Though most of the time the actual commentators dealt with the camera´s themselfes, so it might have been the case for 6 out of 24 hours, but most of the time...i think i catched most of it. Obviously i couldnt show what they were talking about on screen, that would have been really hard. But thats at least some feedback that we can use.

Seven Smiles likes this.
  13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Feedback is what I was hoping I provided. Sounds like I caught the dead zone. Just hope we can encourage S397 to make awesome broadcasts. I could watch that camera at the Ford Chicane all day with those Orecas up close.

atomed likes this.
  14. I guess you were not on the server or anywhere near enlightend in what happened. We had one red flag and to sort out the teams laps etc, a batch was run - this batch added to many laps to a certain team - twice - so instead of just going with that i decided to restart the race, i then had to do everything manually since i didn´t wont to either bother the teams, nor did i want to keep trying.

Legal route..well i wont even comment on that...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2019
    atomed, theother5, Spyro and 2 others like this.
  15. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

You didn't disappoint nor surprise me at all Jimmi.

16. theother5

theother5 Registered

Regarding commentator feedback. That the commentary team were drafted in emergency style was something that I was not aware of ... so kudos for sure to that team.

It also answers some of my questions and reactions to what I was hearing.

I'm sure there are plenty of offers but if the organizers read this and have any interest in hearing my feedback on this topic, please reach out if you wish as I'd be willing to share.

Overall great event and hope more follow in the future.

Go Handy!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    atomed likes this.
  17. AMillward

AMillward Registered

The 'new guys' did very well especially since the newer ones might not be familiar with how Jimmi runs his broadcasts. I would have been there but personal stuff happened at the wrong time. But it happens. I know Cameron Roger was drafted in late and he was really good. But I didn't watch beyond sort of 8pm CET to listen to the others.

18. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I can't find the comment I wanted to respond to, but it was in the topic of the 24hr event. A user posted how awful rF2's online experience was due to the restarting of the 24hr race. But since his post, the last two GT3 endurance races at Macau and Kyalami, BOTH had to be stopped and eventually restarted due to extreme weather. Red flags happen in the real world too.

atomed likes this.