What Rfactor 2 should sound like.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by doddynco, Nov 7, 2019.

1. doddynco

doddynco Registered

Found this gem of a video whilst learning about how the sound works in RF2, and it made me realise how much RF2 misses the mark when it comes to sound, and how much closer it could be to that video with the implementation of a few simple functions. Also we have as no standard or guidelines, or any information whatsoever when it comes to the functions in the .sfx file - We need a sound dev guide asap.

1.The game lacks the time delay which happens because of the speed of sound (as of now, speed of sound only effects the pitch of the engine). e.g At a football match, you see the ball kicked on the other side of the field and it takes some time for the sound to reach you. So yeh - full implementation of speed of sound.

2.Second is the fact that higher frequencies are less audible the further away you are from the sound source as they don't travel as well as lower frequencies. This is just a low-shelf filter on sound which increases in intensity the further the sound has travelled.

3. Related to the last point, is that reverb increases the further away you are from the source. Cars are washed in reverb as they initially approach and as they leave.

These together, and what we can achieve in rf2 will become much closer to the video. They would enhance the cockpit audio too - it's not just about 3rd person. Last little point is that most of the sound is missing in the replays (physics too apparently lol) which makes watching them underwhelming.

I'll shut up now.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
  2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I've long wanted #1, but known that most people would think something was wrong :p

CrimsonEminence and doddynco like this.
  3. philman

philman Registered

I have already posted about sounds, but I will do it again, especially on tire noise.
    1- the squealing of the tires during a wheel lock does not exist in cockpit sounds but is present in external view.
    2- Tire noise on wet surfaces should be different from noise on dry surfaces.
    These two aspects are, in my opinion, important for immersion in the game.
    These remarks concern the cars created by S397. Some mods have these sounds (Simtek, Enduracers...)

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    CrimsonEminence, TJones and Alex72 like this.
  4. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I didn't notice the thing about not being able to hear wheels lock, are you sure as i thought it just used the tyre skid sound? I will check it out later and confirm. Is it perhaps a problem on a specific vehicle, rather than the simulation itself?

This is something which is already implemented so I'm unsure why the new GT3 cars don't take advantage of that. Really not difficult to add as it's only one line in the sfx along with a rainy tire wav file. Shame the files are locked.

5. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

Totaly amazing video. And thats just rF1. I said some time ago that sounds is the weakest thing of rF, especially external sounds. This video shows how much life and immersion is with real sound.

Sound is such a deep subject while not even talking about specific effects and quality of samples...There is so much physics behind sound... I wanted to point out how different the sounds are if the source is traveling closer or away from you. Also much like with light sound is so massively affected by the surounding objects and materials.

ECAR_Tracks and doddynco like this.
  6. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

It's in my nature to not notice sounds very much but the stupid "overrun" noise that rF2 makes on for example the historic single-seaters really annoys me :mad:

Having said that I don't notice sounds, ACC is very good.

7. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

That sounded spectacular! I especially like the pop-pop-pop the first car belched out downshifting into the corner. Enduroracers Nissan is about the only rF2 car that captures that, that I am aware of, that is.

8. Emery

Emery Registered

It sounded spectacular because the sounds were real recordings dubbed onto rF gameplay. Not generated by a sound engine.

9. doddynco

doddynco Registered

That's right.
    What is the overrun noise you're talking about? Do you mean the revlimiter?

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  10. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

No the pop-pop-pop when downshifting @davehenrie talks about. In rF2 it sounds completely artificial to me, nothing like the OP video.

ApexModding likes this.
  11. mantasisg

mantasisg Registered

12. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

This explains it clearly

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  13. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

The moment, when you realize, that this is from Alt Shift X and not a GoT explanation video. :D

A bit of general reverb/delay, that makes the sound less "dry" (not just reflecting reverb from walls etc.), no pulse throttle of the AI and we could already have a better sounding exterior in rF2. When i hear cars in AMS, R3E (older foundation, than rF2) or especially the GT1 from Race Sim Studio in AC(the sim, that also has more of an "average" state of sound with many cars normally), i think, it could be also possible with rF2, to get more out of this, than right now.

14. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Why the Doppler effect videos? That's one thing rFactor has always had, which shows that although it's important, it's certainly not everything.

Something like 5 years ago there were discussions here about simple improvements like aiw-defined reverb (as said above, not just walls) and different sounds for approaching and departing cars (to put it another way: from in front, and behind (and possibly beside, for the purpose of blending)).

Here we are with no sparks, no controllable kers, no improved drivetrain, no wet driving line (or guidance on how to use surface roughness properly to achieve it), no hybrid engines, no used or limited tyre sets, no proper options for weekend structure.

And realistically, unfortunately, the average Joe puts all those above better sound. Hope you're patient.

2ndLastJedi, TJones, Emery and 2 others like this.
  15. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

Me too...with this awesome soundtweak from an user here i like interior sounds in rF2 now a bit more, exterior is still somewhat poor, but all points you made, are a bit higher on my wishlist, to be honest. Especially transmission and newer engine solutions..(i mean, c'mon, we have a hybrid hypercar on the DLC portfolio now, except, it doesn't run on hybrid).

BUT: I can be patient, to receive some tweaks for more "room" feel in the exterior. rF2 is somewhat on the level of GTR2 with sound, or sometimes even slightly lower, unfortunately.

16. Ernie

Ernie Registered

I really hope the sound engine of rF2 will get some love someday. Referring to other sims the audio part in rF2 falls short.

17. Richard Busch

Richard Busch Member

I'm curious, is the pop pop pop sound of downshifting/braking something you should hear in cockpit, or is it only some thing you hear when the car has passed and is slowing for a turn up ahead? Something in replay only?
    Should we be more specific in what sounds we hear and where we should hear them? Replay, in car, which replay camera, etc.?
    Would we hear a car ahead braking/downshifting for a turn and hear the pop pop pop in car?

18. shovas

shovas Registered

That's an amazing video and illustrates what could be perfectly.

I would be happy with R3E sounds right now, however. They're just in another league nobody comes close in the cockpit except ACC now, I guess, and even they don't sound as good.

19. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I don't know if the pops should be heard in-car. They come from fuel overflow that exits the exhaust tips. The Zytek/Gibson engine has always been prone to having more of that sound and it has always been one of my 'favorite' engines because of that.

20. Emery

Emery Registered

Pops, bangs, and rumbles are definitely heard in the cockpit. They may not sound like they do to spectators, but you notice them. Bangs that are as loud as rifle cracks just cut through everything else!