[REL] SMMG Formula 3 Series (2019-2020-2021-2022-2023-2024) 2.20

Discussion in 'Vehicles' started by Slow Motion, Nov 22, 2018.

1. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

As promised, I attach the PDF file and show it in the image below to explain a little bit more in detail the F3 2019 steering wheel display.

Without misunderstanding the meaning and purity of the following sentence, I would like to remark that, when most of them encrypts their files, we want to keep the community and the spirit of rFactor2 alive, sharing all the information we are authorized to share with you.

f3_2019DISPLAYSHEET.jpg

Attached Files:

makan, west1785, Corti and 12 others like this.
  2. Filip

Filip Registered

With all respect but these knobs at the bottom look like neon stickers, no sense of 3D and no variation in colour nor texture.
    That part looks to me like graphics from the 90's at best.
    Led lights and display data suffers from same problem. Colours are too bright and it looks too flat, there is no sense of watching data on display on steering wheel, its like if data is drawn directly on pc screen if you get what I mean.
    In one word it looks cartoonish.

I don't mean to offend with this, this is not a disrespect to Slow Motion, I appreciate the effort and GP3 and Palatov are one of my favourite mods.
    Just wanted to say this as it greatly kills immersion for me although I am not visual guy and play rf2 on low settings.
    Can't say for sure but I believe GP3 steering wheel was of much better visual quality.

That is why I had to ask if while praising display maybe people refer to functionality and accuracy of layout because it's hard for me to believe someone finds this pretty and realistic in terms of graphics and texture.

Peace.

3. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

ahahah @Filip, yes, looking at the image you are right, but it is only a zoomed image into the dark of the garage to highlight the various features... and, as I wrote, also the picture of the real steering wheel is not like it is in the true life, mainly due to the shot where led are almost impossible to be captured as they look at the human eye.

You have to wait for the next update of the beta to watch in person how the steering wheel looks.

There is also another point, regarding the new way S397 manages the graphics environment and that modders no longer can improve with some love like in the past. Without going in details, now is the graphic engine of rFactor2 to take care of AO, etc... and you can refer to the official developers guide and skin info where S397 professional artist explain in details that, much better than me.

Thanks a lot for any discussion regarding our free hobby, as you know it is our best reward.

Filip likes this.
  4. Stevy

Stevy Registered

Steering Wheel =/= Display (in the Steering Wheel)
    Also:
    a) As you know it's still beta
    b) It's a mod for free
    If you just want to drive every GT3 you have to pay more than the game itself.
    I hope S397 will work on this. But they also have to work on other important stuff.
    And everything is held up because of the UI. And if they need so long just for UI.....oh dear.
    Better let's wait for GTR3 or rFactor3

5. Pasquale Genchi

Pasquale Genchi Registered

The part about the visual is ok, you may like or not. Personal taste
    But the part about the functionality is quite lol. This is a sim, so the cars are the counterparts of the real life cars. This includes the dashboard. If it lacks of functionalities then complain with the car manufacturers which created the dashboard in the real car. S397 can't do anything, they make a representation of the real life car, and if the dashboard lacks of info then S397 can't do absolutely nothing. It's easy to understand

6. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Early in the morning here and still hot, so I could misunderstand, but sincerely I see the opposite.

Is the lack of code in rFactor2 to stop any possibility to simulate the real life dashboards.
    More or less since time, the dashboards show similar info, gauges in different visual appearance and there is no way to have them working in rFactor2 also for the limitations of how current gauges work.

For instance we were able to simulate the analog bars of the water and oil with a workaround, but we cannot do miracles!

I listed years ago (ISI time) in details the need of many more functionalities for dashes and I'm sure a day S397 will add them, because there are a lot of things to be improved but we cannot ask for everything to be done in a while.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. Bernd

Bernd Registered

Are you referring to the video?
    I would agree, that in the video, the the 3 lower knobs look flat.
    But all the above knobs look like they should.
    I would say that the problem is the lighting.
    The 3 lower knobs are completely in the shadow, while the above knobs get some sunlight.
    I would suggest to wait with judgements until we have seen it in our own games. ;)

8. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Just a quick update because of some requests... mainly no news, because Chris, that was modeled the new parts, took a pause due to personal duties.
    But Gilles, that was modeling the Palatov D2 and that is in standby due to modifications that Mr. Palatov is making to the real car, last week started working on the F3: at first he wants to finish the 3d of the steering wheel, so we'll be able to release a new beta with the new steering wheel, then he will model other parts.

You all know we are doing it free of charge and because we love what we are doing. But it is increasingly difficult to find people who want to dedicate hundreds, if not thousands of hours to developing mods... unfortunately "our hobby" is losing its "purity", no doubt.

Another news that I can only anticipate, is the permission we gave to a league for using the F3 mod as a basis for ... more info will come in the future.

9. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Thanks for update. It's good to see there's still a progress. How about aero (wings, DRS) data from real F3? Did you get access to it and was it converted/translated to rF2 engine?
    If I remember correctly it generally had good grip, but also had noticeably more understeer in higher speed corners than GP3 mod, when I tried it in June. I think you said in real life it should be other way around. I will quckly re-try it and compare to GP3 mod.

VirusGR42 likes this.
  10. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

We have done something, but only on December Mr. D will validate data. I had a conversation on Telegram just this morning about it!

11. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

BTW, if someone, used to drive the mod and also the GP3, is interested in specific tests, please PM to me.
    In the incoming weeks I'll need to compare mod vs. real car for pole position and "average" times at Silversone, due to the front wing aero (mechanical grip is already okay).
    Thank you

mixer61, tagada83, makan and 2 others like this.
  12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Registered

Count me in! From the tests i've done the F3 2019 car is a bit slower per lap compared with the GP3 due to its understeer natural balance...

13. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

The build I'll send you is already updated to the F3 data for aero and also a little for tires grip due to lap time comparison at Silverstone, but I need more tests and also a comparison with AI at 100% (that is something not available in real life, but useful for enjoying the mod offline too).
    Thank you.

Rui Santos likes this.
  14. Hazi

Hazi Registered

Thank you for your dedication!

yoss and David Kolody like this.
  15. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Hi all!
    As you can see the title of the thread changed to "SMMG Formula 3 2020" due to the fact the real season has finished and we are still developing the mod for well known reasons... and doesn't make sense to have a WIP mod still in BETA when we are going to the new year and the new Formula 3 season.

In addition I just got the info about the next season 2020 and at the time I'm writing I have had the confirmation that:
    • 2020 cars will be exactly the same of 2019 with only one limitation...
    • for safety reasons (strong vibrations of rear wing opening the flap in certain conditions) the MAX rear wing allowed angle will be 20 degrees
    I hope we'll be able to release the next public beta in a reasonable time, as soon as the wheel of the steering wheel will be modeled.
    In the meantime I want resume the main improvements from public build 0.27 to now:
    - fixed MAX REAR WING ANGLE TO 20 (CONFIRMED FOR ALL TRACKS = new 2020 FIA rules)
    - fine tuning for performances based on Silverstone 2019 race (updated ALL TBC+ ALL TGM + HDV)
    - aero base for front wing... testing mod vs. real car at Siverstone (pole 1.45.2xx)
    - NEW VALUES FOR SHADER to be used into ALL gmt(s) with this specific shader
    - WIP added new structure and files for icons NEW UI
    - tuned blue RPM led for ULTRA POSTFX
    - fine tuned display
    - tuned RPM IDLE for the engine
    - tuned analog bars colors
    - tuned rpm bars colors and background
    - fixed rpm bar flickering
    - new structure and texture files for improving performances of all gauges and display
    - fixed class name into RCD file
    - tuned pressure gauge
    - fixed DRS status
    - WIP 3d steering wheel for gauges

At the time we'll release the new build we are intentioned to delete the SMMG F3 from Steam, but the current beta 0.27 will be still available in the first post for manual download. In case this action can generate some problem to someone, please PM me.
    Thank you for attention.

Atsuki, Smici, avenger82 and 17 others like this.
  16. Leonardo Nogueira

Leonardo Nogueira Registered

One little question... will the basic car template change from GP3 to F3 2020 (in final version) or just for the wings and changed parts?

17. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

Everything will change, because when and if we'll finish the F3, referring to the template, the main body will be totally new, like now are the wings and halo. Currently the F3 halo and wings are one template, but it is temporary because in the future there will be only one template that will contain main body, halo and wings to have rain ripples and scratches working better.
    This is the reason we are not distributing the halo and wings template.

Chris Lesperance likes this.
  18. Slow Motion

Slow Motion Registered

To honor the post season special event FIA F3 World Cup Macau 2019 (Nov. 14th - 17th, 2019) we have planned to add as bonus into the SMMG Formula 3 2020, the Formula 2019 entry list of Macau with the 2019 liveries.

20191115134355_1.jpg

The official documentation released by FIA has been attached...

Attached Files:

Churrinche, Magus, pascom and 10 others like this.
  19. vsp

vsp Registered

Surely Sophia Floersch will love it ! :)

Slow Motion likes this.
  20. DrivingFast

DrivingFast Registered

I am really looking forward to this mod.

The modder SlowMotion is an impressive modder, the best in my opinion on rF2.

The last 4 mods of SlowMotion are exactly what I'm looking for in a simulation that wants to get as close as possible to reality.

In any case, courage for the rest of the work.

Slow Motion, Hazi and pkelly like this.