Project Cars 1?

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by vegaguy5555, Oct 25, 2019.

1. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

The race car guys told me to drive street cars somewhere else so I reinstalled PC1. And the first thing I noticed is it isn't as bad as I remember. It looks very good in VR. And feels quite a bit better then PC2.

Since its old software there are a lot of old threads to troubleshoot with.

I played around with it for a week and got it set as close to rF2 as I could. You guys know I'm fairly picky about physics and if I didn't think it wasn't very good I wouldn't bother saying anything.

So if there is anyone else needing a street car fix I'll post some settings in the next few days.
    I'm using a Fanatec V2.5

P.S. I'm going to use this thread as a note pad for myself if nothing else. Maybe post some videos?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
  2. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

Except that the cars don't handle realistically. I haven't driven in the cars IRL , but many people who did ,said it's far off. Perhaps can be "fixed" to some extend with changing car's setup. But try to drift in cars that should allow it (even with stock setup) i.e. BMW 1, I think M3 should also allow it. Here is good description:
    "The acid test is taking a powerful rear-wheel drive street car on road tires and [trying] to drift it. When you're over the limit and burning the tires, does the sim stand up? The answer was no, it didn't," Chong explained. At issue in the original Project Cars was how the tires behaved once they exceeded the limit of grip. Unlike a real tire, that game's handling of the physics once the grip was gone was merciless—the back steps out and the car is gone.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/04/project-cars-2-is-on-the-way-with-much-improved-tire-physics/

I'm not saying it has bad physics, but I don't think it "very good" either. If even SMS admitted flaws/inaccuracies when PC2 was released, and now PC Revolution is 200% better, then it wasn't that realistic.

juanchioooo likes this.
  3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

And that's the way I remembered it but it feels different now.
    One thing that PC1 has the best hands is physics and FFB settings. Yes they are very hard to understand and the directions read like a riddle but now that I got my head rapped around it, it is driving realistic enough to drift and over all drive on the limit.
    Now I find PC2 to be everything I remembered PC1 to be. It just feel off no matter what I adjust, which isn't much compared to PC1.

First thing I noticed is half the physics in PC1 are turned off. I also turned FFB to 100 in the main control panel and then tuned it in each car. A pain but worth it.
    I'll post settings for one of the cars tonight. I mean, it's software we already paid for. Don't like it, delete it.
    I'm fairly picky for physics. Even any kind of aids can throw me off when really pushing it, sim or real car.

4. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

project car has no forum?:rolleyes:;)

5. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

The answer was "Dave's not here." Chong explained. :D
    Cheech and Chong have a new movie coming: "Sims are tough all over"
    The answer is actually "No, Dave left the pit limiter on" . Sounds like the perfect opening scene. ;)

Ok, the walk down memory lane is over.
    Move on, nothing to see here! :rolleyes:

6. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

You guys tell me to drive street cars somewhere else and when I do I get trolled.
    And you have no idea what it's like because you haven't tried it with my settings so how can you give an opinion?

7. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I like how rF2 feels and talking to guys who feel the same way.

Filip and juanchioooo like this.
  8. juanchioooo

juanchioooo Registered

it's okay with me

9. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I get what I'm saying it incredible. But it's free and fun so far and am going to share my findings.
    It doesn't take too much work to know if I'm pulling your leg or not.

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

it is as it is. rF2 owns the crown of all sim and simcade racing titles regarding physics. you can drive street cars on other sims if you want (and some few people tell you to do), but physics will always be best on rF2, for street cars of course too.

DrivingFast and vegaguy5555 like this.
  11. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Choice: Go back two generations(or even three) for nothing more than a-bit of nostalgia. Or we could go back even further to the good ol days of GPL.(where I first really felt a car's suspension going up that long uphill at Zandvoort.) Or...Geoff Crammond had title or two that 'felt good' at the time. I remember trying multiplayer withF1gp 2 or 3 and two 300 baud modems. It felt like a dice based game where you rolled and then moved your car figurine ahead 3 spaces. Frame-rates online were incredible.. incredibly bad that is.. I have Richard Burns, I have both GTRs, all packed up somewhere in a box and I am sure I will never never never open them again. I don't have time and I don't want to unlearn the muscle memory needed for rF2.
    But I don't matter. The OP found something he could enjoy. Good on him.

vegaguy5555 and The Iron Wolf like this.
  12. Filip

Filip Registered

Richard Burns Rally aged well ;)

13. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I'm not trying to take anything away from rF2 and still hope to see lots of DLC and mods. But rF2 really helped me define what I need out of a sim and try to get that out of other sim. PC1 is the only sim with the FFB settings that you can really work. I drove AC and instantly looked to turn up spindle weight which, unfortunately, it doesn't have. No one does but sims like rF2 and iRacing don't need it.

14. Filip

Filip Registered

Have you tried AC with LUT generator?
    I have old Logitech wheel and AC ffb was a bit disappointment in the beginning but after setting up LUT it's very good.

avenger82 likes this.
  15. memoNo1

memoNo1 Registered

That's exactly the reason why I do not really want anything else. Well said.

16. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I noticed also in the past you completely change your mind about sims’ physics. For sure PC1 physics and FFB engine hasn’t changed since long time. So I suspect it’s only your subjective feeling that changes. I didn’t like AC physics, the way cars loose grip ( for instance F40 was undrivable at and over the limit). But later when I gained more experience in other sims as well as in AC , it definitely made more sense. Probably meanwhile some things changed ( tire model updates), but I went back to earlier version and F40 wasn’t significantly more difficult as I remembered.

All these FFB settings in PC1 were rather disadvantage(especially when defaults were not that great), because most people didn’t really understand them (including me). rF2 and AMS have only few options, yet are often considered the best. I prefer when FFB is derived more directly from physics engine, without any “enhancements” or need to magnify some forces to have better feel. But I understand why such possibilities may be desired.

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  17. avenger82

avenger82 Registered

I don’t get the jokes. Who are Dave and Cheech you are referring??

18. Louis

Louis Registered

lol avenger82...

edit: "After their contentious parting in the 1980s,[5] the duo spent years without..."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheech_&_Chong

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
    lagg, vegaguy5555 and Seven Smiles like this.
  19. doddynco

doddynco Registered

I tried Mario Kart 64 the other day and messed with the ffb settings, feels way better than I remember. Laser scanned Rainbow Road coming soon, aswel as a new UI.

davehenrie, Seven Smiles and memoNo1 like this.
  20. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

back in the day, all comedy was either performed live on stage or recorded to vinyl records. One of the first routine's that helped make Cheech and Chong legends.