rfactor 2 Still The King.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vegaguy5555, Mar 7, 2019.

1. LokiD

LokiD Registered

and to be honest that and the wet weather pitting issue/tyre selections, is the only thing that needs fixing for AI that really bothers me. You get the AI on a tight corner centric track with no straights and yes best ai out there. Long straights is there weakness in attack, as they tap brakes which slow them down enabling you to pass a car ahead you shouldn't of really caught.

but tried the new MCR at Donnington.. wow..! what a race with AI - apart from some of the straights doh

2. AMillward

AMillward Registered

Lot easier to manage than those old chat rooms were. No creeps.

3. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

AMS could not fix the draft thing with their DLC right? Its a core element that has to be coded from S397?

4. Alex72

Alex72 Registered

I remember Before the chat rooms we called these phone "hot-lines" with lots of random Anonymous people talking, but we were using Commodore 64 "SAM" voice and we said some spicy things while giggling like kids in the background. Well, we WERE kids. :D

Back on topic.

5. Bidle

Bidle Registered

I've read through this topic and watched the movie. Just coming over to the PC and have to say I've tried several sims and RF2 is the one that gets my time and devotion. Also bought all the DLC available and only us some of it. Probably also the rest later on. ;-)
    Still in the end to become successful there simply need to be more people spending their well earned money on this sim.
    Since I've downloaded this game it raised a lot of questions and really tested my patience. It is a shame that this game is pretty complicated. As there are more people coming from the console to the PC and most of them choose something else. Only because of how complicated this game is to set-up right.
    My latest is a HDR problem, not even a big problem, but it prevents me of just enjoying the sim. Also some other issues like the DLC not in the 'normal' Steam. So after re-installing (because of issues) you can't find your paid DLC and didn't understood what I already bought. So again questions. The VR set-up, with first going to the beta version and only afterwards noticing it is not necessary and all those settings. All the plug-ins for a dashboard, explanation of the immense amount of settings, tyre working regarding the lower tyre pressure instead of the out of the box tyre pressure (for instance GT3), etc, etc. So many questions after installing this game. Would be good if it would become a bit simpeler or more/better explanations/guidance.

Don't get me wrong, I like it and keep making topics to get it right. ;-) Also really appreciatie all the efforts from the makers and especially the community. It's just my experience coming from the console. I've also noticed the same among friends making the same step to PC and not choosing RF2, which is a shame.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    vegaguy5555 and TJones like this.
  6. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Thanks for the tire pressure tip. I think I remember reading about that?

7. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

I am curious about this, can you point me to where I would learn more?

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  8. Bidle

Bidle Registered

As with many things, I've read almost every topic on this forum and others. It seems that the out of the box tyre pressure is just not helping to get your tyres on temp. After reading about it I wanted to confirm so looked at multiple YouTube movies from fast riders when they were hotlapping or training. Every time freezed the window at the settings and indeed,... it was way lower.
    In the end it is also what you feel/like, but after multiple laps of testing I also switched and it made a big difference for me. For instance with the 720S GT3 I've almost always the lowest pressure (140) at the back and front almost the same (141-143).

E.g. in the beginning I raised the ambient temp, no difference and than read somewhere that track temp doesn't influence the tyre temp. :) Of course it is just something you read, but make sense compared to my experience. In the end it is the result that counts.

When I feel more comfortable with the game/sim I intend to open a separate topic with all the things I had to discover. As I think it could help others as well.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  9. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

OK, thank you, so you are saying the cars will drive better when we set the tire temp to the lowest possible?

10. Bidle

Bidle Registered

Yes for me with qualifying definitely the fastest. In some longer races the wear might be too much.
    I’m not an expert but do notice a rather big difference.
    And as mentioned some of the best drivers also have it. I just copied their settings and than checked if it worked for me.
    For example look at some of the videos of Michi Hoyer, where he is testing and now and than you can get a glimpse of his settings.
    At the moment on my mobile, but they are easy to find!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    Cote Dazur likes this.
  11. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

I don't think rF2 is that complicated compared to other sims like ARMA, Flight Simulator, Elite...
    It just lacks default track-car setup.

12. Bidle

Bidle Registered

I’m not familiar with any of the sims you mention and not sure how it is relevant.
    For people who are making the switch from console to race on PC it is a big step. Especially compared to the competition. Therefore some will choose the competition, which is a shame.

Cote Dazur likes this.
  13. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

rF2 is today the least casual of the competition and the most sandboxy, AC was made as a plug'n'play sim, iRacing has a lot of accessible pickup racing classes (mx5, ovals). rF2 is a big step, but it's worth the time.

14. ADSTA

ADSTA Registered

Are you are talking about vehicle modders/developers supplying customised car setups for whatever track you use?
    That would only be possible in a iRacing style sim with no 3rd party made content.

With rF2, as in reality, it's up to you to make changes if you don't like the default setup.
    Vehicle modders can supply the car with upgrades, for example a Nascar type mod could have 2 gearbox ratio upgrades. One used for short ovals the other large ovals.

A user made setup can be assigned as the default track setup so you don't need to load it every time you load the track or change session.

David Kolody likes this.
  15. Depco

Depco Registered

Lowering the tire pressure to the lowest setting has been the default first change made by me in almost every car I drive. This has been a thing in rF2 since build 880 at least, if not longer.

Rui Santos, Cote Dazur and Emery like this.
  16. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

Interesting, so it seem you are making the changes as a first thing since build 880, I guess this is a long time ago, are you certain it still works? Or are you always driving the same cars and you know the tires have not been modified?
    In other words, is it also valid for the new content.
    I am surprised the lowest temp is such a known trick to improve performance as I thought RF2 was the summum of simulation, having such a simple exploit trick available is a little disconcerting.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    Rui Santos and vegaguy5555 like this.
  17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Registered

The lowest pressure, not temp...tyres are performing well at the right temperature window in rF2, but the expansion of air seems too exaggerated, for me at least.

With the new Porsche Cup (i wrote it already in another thread) i can go down to 115 Kpa and get warm pressure at about 145 Kpa(and more) after a few laps and this is disconcerting indeed, because 20 Kpa more and the pressure ends up too high after some laps, especially at the rear, this wasn't always the case in rF2, also this is not only with the Porsche, but with some GTE cars aswell and so on...it gets way more drivable with pretty low pressures.

I could be mistaken, i'm not an expert, but i'm doing sim racing so many years now, that this seems off, to me.

Also, as far as i know, no official comments about that, if it is per design or not, i baffles me a bit.

18. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

Tyres don't respond to track temperature, unrealistic low tyre pressures are a "hack", wet tarmac physics not convincing, no gear box model (clutch is useless), very primitive damage system without visual effects are just few points that came up to my mind quickly which makes the "king" title very optimistic.

19. Andregee

Andregee Registered

For me the feel of the tyres caused by the deformation and adaption to the surface is the best of all sim titles but rFactor2 is missing many essential elements
    and I doubt that the new content was always implemented correctly. The Aston Martin GT3 needs a lot more fuel per lap than the GTE version, even though they both use the same engine. The GT3 from ACC needs as much fuel as the GTE in rFactor2. Why doesn't the Audi R8 Gt3 have Fast bump and rebound settings while ACC offers these settings? Kunos works closely with the Blanc Pain Series teams? I think they will have enough access to the data already. Why does the brake force distribution end at 57% in front for all GT cars? Why can you read tyre pressures and tyre temps, engine mixture and brake distribution in the C7 GTE dashboard but other cars are lacking of it completely so that you have to look to the left corner while racing, searching for that information.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  20. Depco

Depco Registered

And yet, every time I try another racing sim I always come back to rF2 as it simply feels the best of the bunch. I have not tried ACC yet so I can't speak to it.

Highlandwalker and vegaguy5555 like this.